Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.8 Average
The Gearhead Thread
(04-11-2015, 12:14 PM)SMK Wrote: Traded my Ram for a 2004 63K GTO. The car has at least 2000$ in exhaust, intake, Banshee hood with a good paint job, HIDs/halos, audio. The interior is a B+, the leather needs some TLC but there's no tears or physical damage. The exterior is a B, it looks taken care of but there are blemishes that my OCD picks up.

I got them to drop a grand from the price due to a whine it's got that increases pitch with rpms. I'm not very up to speed on LS1s, do they usually have this sort of whine or should I start chasing pulleys/bearings?

Sent from my One M8 using Tapatalk

Awwww, yeah, good trade (don't know about values but GTO beats Ram)! Figure out what the whine is tied to first. If the whine follows engine speed, that narrows it down to the engine. If the whine follows the speed of the car, it's drivetrain. If the whine follows the different gears it may be transmission. Verstehen?
Yeah,...So?
Stock gears or aftermarket? If the last owner switched em out the whine could definitely be the gears.

I had a 06 Brazen Orange GTO. Car was amazing! Enjoy it.
[Image: 62da001955ffae79be5499d3c7c592eb.jpg]

[Image: 545e638e0b30c3304afca4fd7f751161.jpg]

250k+ worth of work done.

1000+ rwhp.

68 Camaro
Just a dumb grunt.
Good luck hooking that HP up. Also, it's not hard to believe the 250k price tag with stuff like (if real) carbon fiber inner fenders and billet hood hinges.
Yeah,...So?
(04-11-2015, 03:47 PM)Broussard Wrote: Stock gears or aftermarket? If the last owner switched em out the whine could definitely be the gears.

I had a 06 Brazen Orange GTO. Car was amazing! Enjoy it.

Agreed. Could definitely be a bad wheel bearing or gears whining due to incorrect pinion depth/backlash. 

Update on el Jeepo- Ordered like $300 worth of parts on Monday. All new shocks, some axle bearings/seals and a fabricated steel WIY (weld it yourself) diff cover with an actual, threaded drain plug instead of some plastic, push-in bullshit. Diff cover's on back-order and you'd figure for $200, the company could send me the right shocks.  Angry #gearheadproblems#JustEmptyEveryPocket
Yowie on tater tot burritos: CombatWombat Ian old mate, that's an abomination and I want it 20 Jan 20:39

Which reminds me: 
Rant: Can't (actually won't) go to Portland Swap Meet cuz lack o' funds. Angry

Rave: Lack o' funds because I bought a complete American Auto Wire wiring kit for '68-'69 Chevelles. MSRP is $569, lots of places list it for $521, I got it for $404. Some obscure company on Amazon that sold all sorts of miscellaneous shit. Listed as 'last one'. Cool

This kit is a modern update kit, not an original-type kit. Which is great, cuz I already updated shit like the alternator (12SI), I have a '69 steering column to put in (column-located key, steering lock), and it has provisions for electric fan and shit like relays for headlights, etc.
Yeah,...So?
(04-11-2015, 05:30 PM)irradiator Wrote: Good luck hooking that HP up. Also, it's not hard to believe the 250k price tag with stuff like (if real) carbon fiber inner fenders and billet hood hinges.

I spent a good while talking to the guy, they've never tried to push it out onto the track but he says that it'll hook up when it's got slicks on it. He really only takes it out to car shows because his father started it and then he finished it after the guy passed away. He's scared that he might put it into a wall at the track so he won't race it. 
Just a dumb grunt.
Almost done with the first cart of the year.
Seats are getting upholstered I just need to prep and paint the roof with bedliner, stick some University of South Carolina stickers on it and it will be done.
Spent half the day chasing a wiring problem in a harness. Some Chinese bastard didn't bother crimping the wires on the fuse holder before sealing it up. 

[Image: IMG_20150414_173138601.jpg]
So there's a vid circulating facebook (Which I can't get into right now due to NMCI being ghey) of a woman who, when her car began overheating, decided to fill her engine with water to cool it off.

The video is from the mechanic's perspective as he pulls the plug on the oil pan and water just comes pouring out. 17 quarts overfill, 2 of which were oil.

It blows my mind that people like that exist.
Just a dumb grunt.
Why does that blow your mind? People are fucking stupid. I mean that is a general rule, your average american is a dumbass.
It just blows my mind man. I guess I give people too much credit.

I'd need another body to count beyond fingers and toes how many times I've stopped some poor fuck from making a life changing mistake while working on his/her car at the auto hobby shop on Lejeune. More often than not it's females but there are always diamonds in the rough, those being the males who come in with no fucking clue how to even remove a tire.
Just a dumb grunt.
(04-15-2015, 03:53 AM)Handicap Wrote: More often than not it's females but there are always diamonds in the rough,

To be fair, most people don't teach their daughters how to do shit on their cars.
[Image: 2v96l2c.jpg]
I have to agree with Cummins, people are fucking stupid. I'm kinda amazed she didn't hydrolock her engine putting that much in. My older brother's ditzy, drug-fiend Mexican ex-girlfriend once overfilled her shitty little Nissan with actual oil (like added 10 quarts in to a little 4-banger) Long story short, there was so much oil in it that the PCV valve starting sucking up straight oil instead of fumes and dumping it into the intake manifold. The engine was pretty much destroyed after that, making really loud noises, blowing blue smoke, etc, etc.
Yowie on tater tot burritos: CombatWombat Ian old mate, that's an abomination and I want it 20 Jan 20:39

Girl I went to highschool with had a little pink Geo tracker. Nice little car, got good mileage, ran good, trouble free, etc. Her dad bought it and told her maintenance and fuel was on her.
I'm behind her on the highway on the way to school one day and all of her tires just lock up.
She had been driving in 4 wheel drive for 6 months and had never checked nor changed her oil in 30k miles, shit locked up going 50mph.
Completely off the topic of engines blowing up, I'm digging RadarPog's avatar. What is that thing dude? Kinda looks like a 1st-generation Barracuda, but not quite.

Speaking of "what is it" moments, sorry to skew even further here: But I ran into my first Javelin the other day and I've gotta say, those are some sexy fucking cars.

[Image: 1968_AMC_Javelin_base_model_red-NJ.jpg]
Just a dumb grunt.
(04-15-2015, 08:34 AM)IamIan Wrote: Completely off the topic of engines blowing up, I'm digging RadarPog's avatar. What is that thing dude? Kinda looks like a 1st-generation Barracuda, but not quite.

Corvair?
Vikings MC D37 Desert Racing
Desert Cycle Works 29 Palms
"Raising Grandchildren is Gods way of saying you shouldn't of had kids "
(04-15-2015, 11:02 AM)AKA_HITMAN Wrote:
(04-15-2015, 08:34 AM)IamIan Wrote: Completely off the topic of engines blowing up, I'm digging RadarPog's avatar. What is that thing dude? Kinda looks like a 1st-generation Barracuda, but not quite.

Corvair?

Right you are. The lack of a grill kinda threw me off. And that one looks like it might be a Yenko Stinger-

[Image: Stinger1468_FR.jpg]

God, owning one of those things would be fucking awesome. Smile

(04-15-2015, 11:02 AM)AKA_HITMAN Wrote: Corvair?

Yes. I own a 65 Monza that is a project car I have yet to really start due to shitty finances over the past few years.
[Image: 1915407_1189411409887_3765132_n.jpg?oh=a...69d027c3fd]

Thankfully my wife's new job doubled our household income and once we get the credit card paid off and some housework done, I can start looking at tearing into this thing.
[Image: 2v96l2c.jpg]
I'd love to have an old car or truck to tinker with. Building these golf carts kind of scratches the itch, but they aren't mine and, well, they're fucking golf carts. Lol.

So TLer's, what is that one tool you use everyday and just couldn't do without? For me it would have to be this cheap ass 1/4" drive ratchet set. Has metric and standard socket set. Shit is in my hand or next to me most of the time.
[Image: IMG_20150416_151759516.jpg]
My Dewalt ratcheting wrench set. It's made somewhere overseas and is kinda pricey (like $100 for a set) but they're fucking nice. Crescent head on one side, offset 12-point box wrench on the other with a little lever so you can choose which way you want it to turn without fucking up your offset (should you need it for whatever reason.) Comes with a handy little plastic wrench organizer too. Definitely my new favorite tools. Also- fuck hand tools from Harbor Freight. Can't begin to count the times their shit has fucking broken on me.

I've been waiting for this thing to take a shit.
Trust me.
I've had 3' of cheater pipe on this shitty little ratchet on a 9/16" nut and she hasn't shit the bed yet.
I'm amazed actually.

I have a little 5 drawer craftsman rolling box I keep next to what I'm working on full of tools from Northern Tool and Harbor freight. The pliers are junk, the dead blow is shit, but everything else works pretty good. Have snap on ratchets in there and some gear wrench ratchet wrenches I like too.

Our big snap-on box is jam packed with snap-on and Mac tools but it is such a bitch to either roll that thing around to where you need it or carry arm fulls of tools across the shop.
Craftsman is the shiz. Except the ratchets. For those Ima get whatever hi-dolla toolseller has the thingy with the most teeths. One must read the description carefully, now, though. China = no bueno, Taiwan = mostly good (as much as USA). If it's Craftsman and forged in USA I will buy it.

RadarPOG's avatar car is indeed a Yenko Stinger. Interesting cars, they are, in fact, the first cars Yenko modified and sold, the forerunner of the Yenko Nova, Camaro, Chevelle, etc. They handled very good and did well in road-type-racing.
Yeah,...So?
Agreed. A lot of the stuff in my box is 'murican-made Craftsman stuff. The Craftsman ratchets are kinda hit and miss. I still have my old-style 'murican-made Craftsman ratchets with 36 teeth, and they all work great. Now-a-days, that style is still offered, but it's made overseas. Craftsman also has 'murican-made Mac/Matco/Snap-Off/whatever style ratchets with 84-teeth, but they seem like overpriced junk. I bought one because I thought I had lost my old-style 1/4" ratchet (found it later though. Smile ) and it cost me like $40 or $50. Worst part was the ratchet mechanism started binding up and giving me trouble after 3 or 4 uses.

Just need to brag about my car. I'm driving across the U.S. and have gone maybe 1500 miles of hills so far. Car is fully loaded with maybe 550lbs of stuff, including 2 people. I still have been getting 32mpg average with going maybe 80-90 the whole way.

As dumb as Kentucky may have been, at least they're the only state who understands that diesel shound be the same price as regular.