Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.8 Average
The Gearhead Thread
(03-27-2015, 12:00 PM)OldFart Wrote:
(03-24-2015, 05:28 PM)5.9lcummins Wrote: So some former marine officer left a 38' fifthwheeler toy hauler camper at my parents campground. Just fucking left it there.
$90,000 new, worth probably $50k.
Inside is trashed, like they left in 15 minutes and took only essentials. Strange but long story short it is abandoned on their property and are in the process of claiming it and everything inside.
Including a Buell 1125r and a Buell Ulysses xb12.

So I guess I may be fixing them up and beating the shit out of them on the parkway until we can sell them.
Kind of excited.

Very much interested in this machine. Anyone know if Harley still provides any parts support for Buell stuff? These models were the last well-engineered western bikes.

Located western U.S.? Want to relieve an old man of his excess bourgeois cash?

North Carolina
Honda S660:

- 3 cylinder turbo (Likely 1.0L if it comes to the US)
- Mid engined
- Less than a ton in curb weight

[Image: GGZ_6984.jpg]
[Image: 2015-Honda-S660-roadster-JDM-spec-106-876x535.jpg]

I'm enjoying the idea of this car way too much. Embarrassing people in this would be so entertaining.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/honda/2016-honda-s660-ar163454.html
Would not buy that Honda. 3-cylinder engines are basically unbalanced by nature. The thought of a 90-degree 4.3 V6 (which is basically just a good ol' tree-fiddy with two cylinders hacked off) doesn't even appeal to me. Hell, I helped break one down for a bit today, sure enough balance shaft, just sitting there eating all your horsepowers and efficiency.
Yowie on tater tot burritos: CombatWombat Ian old mate, that's an abomination and I want it 20 Jan 20:39

Ugh, I despise that I can tell Deja's first picture was taken at McCormick Place. Fuck that place.
(03-31-2015, 02:48 PM)Deja Entendu Wrote: Honda S660:

- Mid engined

[Image: GGZ_6984.jpg]
[Image: 2015-Honda-S660-roadster-JDM-spec-106-876x535.jpg]

I'm enjoying the idea of this car way too much. Embarrassing people in this would be so entertaining.

The lightness of the car would be much more impressive if it didn't come packaged with a whopping 63 hp 77 ftlbs. This is basically a convertible, Japanese smart car. 

I wonder what kind of ET should be expected...20 seconds or so?
Just buy a fucking motorcycle or can am monstrosity.
(03-31-2015, 05:31 PM)5.9lcummins Wrote: Just buy a fucking motorcycle monstrosity.

[Image: 2kvLStW.jpg]
[Image: 8AOXfI5.jpg]
"Surprising agile thanks to all 2 tons being balanced perfectly."

Slap an HD decal on it, a rediculous price, Led light and Bluetooth, it'll sell.
Is that a fucking steam-powered motorcycle?
Yowie on tater tot burritos: CombatWombat Ian old mate, that's an abomination and I want it 20 Jan 20:39

Gabe model:

[Image: xcMWR3O.jpg]
I was expecting an Indian. Too obvious?
The Kool-Aid is a lie.

I can just smell the body odor from here.

(03-07-2015, 08:27 AM)SSG.Andy Wrote: Fuck Comiefornia and the white liberal kids that go to school there. I'm sure if they have such a problem with America we could pull all of the federal aid they are sponging up. http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/03/06/students-at-uc-irvine-vote-to-ban-american-flag/

(03-31-2015, 05:29 PM)Broussard Wrote:

- Mid engined

The lightness of the car would be much more impressive if it didn't come packaged with a whopping 63 hp 77 ftlbs. This is basically a convertible, Japanese smart car. 

The car is 63 hp to meet Japanese specs. The international version will have a 1.0L with ~120 hp.
(03-31-2015, 06:40 PM)Deja Entendu Wrote: I can just smell the body odor from here.

(03-07-2015, 08:27 AM)SSG.Andy Wrote: Fuck Comiefornia and the white liberal kids that go to school there. I'm sure if they have such a problem with America we could pull all of the federal aid they are sponging up. http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/03/06/students-at-uc-irvine-vote-to-ban-american-flag/

(03-31-2015, 05:29 PM)Broussard Wrote:

- Mid engined

The car is 63 hp to meet Japanese specs. The international version will have a 1.0L with ~120 hp.

Even if that were the case that's comparable to having 240hp in a 4,000lb car. That is not impressive. A Nissan Maxima loaded with a wife, 2 kids, and a trunk full of groceries would out sprint it.

The Lotus Elise is king of this particular niche and it weighs in at 1900 lbs and packs 140 hp and is STILL just average in terms of speed. 
"But the car is so light!!" Sorry Honda and Lotus cock spectacular person, the car is still slow.
Just to play Devils advocate, I'm thinking a loaded down maxima will get burned in the twisties by a lotus or one of these. The intended purpose here isn't blinding, straight line speed, it's carving corners while keeping the speed up.

That said, for what they are asking money wise, I'd get a lightly used couple year old Z-06 vette and be done with it.
[Image: military_signature-1.png]
I had an 02 Z06 back in 2009-10. Lowered, headers, short throw shifter, very fucking fun car! Came back from Afg and noticed half of MCB Camp Lahjurn had decided to buy Corvettes and I quickly no longer wanted to own Josephine. I still miss her, to this day.
In my opinion the late 2000's Z06 offers the best bang for buck ratio in sports cars. It does lots of things very, very well, and is a proven reliable platform. I've never owned one, and probably never will (I'm more of a street rod kinda guy) but for the money I think they are pretty amazing cars.
[Image: military_signature-1.png]
(04-01-2015, 06:36 AM)silverado_mick Wrote: Just to play Devils advocate, I'm thinking a loaded down maxima will get burned in the twisties by a lotus or one of these. The intended purpose here isn't blinding, straight line speed, it's carving corners while keeping the speed up.

That said, for what they are asking money wise, I'd get a lightly used couple year old Z-06 vette and be done with it.
They are built for the corners, but probably 99% of the owners will never care to use them to the full potential.

As much as I personally hate every Corvette, except the C6, they're really the best bang for the buck in terms of overall performance.
(04-01-2015, 06:36 AM)silverado_mick Wrote: Just to play Devils advocate, I'm thinking a loaded down maxima will get burned in the twisties by a lotus or one of these. The intended purpose here isn't blinding, straight line speed, it's carving corners while keeping the speed up.

They're asking 16k though.
If you get a corvette you're only allowed to drive 55mph, in the fast lane
(04-01-2015, 08:34 AM)5.9lcummins Wrote: If you get a corvette you're only allowed to drive 55mph, in the fast lane
And be a recently divorced white male labor worker in his 50's.
I was 28 when I had mine. (And blackISH).

I went to a Corvette meet. When I pulled up it was like I was driving up to a VFW meet. I didn't even bother parking.
(04-01-2015, 06:56 AM)silverado_mick Wrote: In my opinion the late 2000's Z06 offers the best bang for buck ratio in sports cars. It does lots of things very, very well, and is a proven reliable platform. I've never owned one, and probably never will (I'm more of a street rod kinda guy) but for the money I think they are pretty amazing cars.

1. Acquire Z06 engine of your choice.
2. Put it into something like this-
[Image: 4488762399_bc330a75c0_z.jpg]

3. ???
4. PROFIT!!! Smile

(Actually that car damn well near already has a Z06 engine in it. It's an all-aluminum 427 small-block Chevy (Yes, small block, check out the two center header tubes close together. You can take them up to factory big block sizes these days.) It's also got an electronically controlled Hilborn fuel injection system that looks like the old-school, mechanically controlled systems and puts out 567 HP@6,200 RPM and 563 ft/lbs @ 4,800.

Traded my Ram for a 2004 63K GTO. The car has at least 2000$ in exhaust, intake, Banshee hood with a good paint job, HIDs/halos, audio. The interior is a B+, the leather needs some TLC but there's no tears or physical damage. The exterior is a B, it looks taken care of but there are blemishes that my OCD picks up.

I got them to drop a grand from the price due to a whine it's got that increases pitch with rpms. I'm not very up to speed on LS1s, do they usually have this sort of whine or should I start chasing pulleys/bearings?

Sent from my One M8 using Tapatalk
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Every Marine has a rifle, man.