Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.8 Average
The Gearhead Thread
Since Max decided to kil the old forum with cleansing fire... 

Thread relly- Jeep XJ's are awesome and Dodge diesel trucks are a good engine in a shit-quality vehicle and anybody who drives one probably has a a small pee-pee. Your move 5.9... 
Yowie on tater tot burritos: CombatWombat Ian old mate, that's an abomination and I want it 20 Jan 20:39

Fix your sig dumb dumb.

Anything new on the radar worth giving a look?
Beltayn: I wish I was gay. I would be the blowjob KING
ThunderCookies: bitch steps outta line she's getting a hot ass thunder cookie to the face
TD: I'm going to have my own little stable of squires
The 12 Hr at Sebring is comin up in 2.5 weeks, that's always worth a look
Uncle Sam got his, now I'm gettin mine.
I concur with the XJ statement, as I once had a lifted XJ and also a lifted Comanche (forgot the chassis code to that). Great off roaders, not so great reliability.
Commanche= MJ. 

Only reliability issue I've had so far is the crank sensor taking a dump after I power-washed the engine bay/ underside. When I flushed the coolant, I probably pulled out 1/2 or 3/4 of the coolant I should have. Still wasn't overheating even with a radiator cap that absolutely would not hold pressure lol. 
Yowie on tater tot burritos: CombatWombat Ian old mate, that's an abomination and I want it 20 Jan 20:39

I'm a huge fan of my WK. I know it's considered a grocery getter by most "jeep" guys, but I've found it to be extremely powerful and capable off road. I've had it back in some logging roads and up a stream or two and it goes like a jeep should. Good tires help.
[Image: military_signature-1.png]
(03-01-2015, 08:10 AM)silverado_mick Wrote: I'm a huge fan of my WK. I know it's considered a grocery getter by most "jeep" guys, but I've found it to be extremely powerful and capable off road. I've had it back in some logging roads and up a stream or two and it goes like a jeep should. Good tires help.

Too bad you're gonna have to sell it to finance that shiny new mini-van. Tongue

Hahaha fuck you. Bought the minivan and kept the jeep too. It's starting to look like a used car lot around here. If I ever get my work car back that will make 4 cars and two bikes that I need to park somewhere, lol.
Hehehehehe.  Big Grin I keed, I keed. FWIW, I do like some of the newer Jeeps. I saw a late-model, boxy Liberty the other day with a bit of lift and bigger tires on factory wheels and it just looked awesome. As far as parking, let's not kid ourselves here, you're just gonna park wherever you want because "Fuck you, I'm a cop! Fire hydrant? You mean reserved parking for Mick!" Tongue

I looked at similar year Liberty's when I was shopping for my Grand Cherokee. They were nice but not really big enough inside to justify the expense. For almost the same money I got into my '08 GC and got a good running, reliable, 300hp v8 with a more capable 4wd system than the Liberty has. Quadra Drive 2 is tits. I'm a huge fan.
(03-01-2015, 08:34 AM)silverado_mick Wrote: I looked at similar year Liberty's when I was shopping for my Grand Cherokee.  They were nice but not really big enough inside to justify the expense.  For almost the same money I got into my '08 GC and got a good running, reliable, 300hp v8 with a more capable 4wd system than the Liberty has.  Quadra Drive 2 is tits.  I'm a huge fan.

Meh. I like my Command-Trac. Shift on the fly 4wd with no crazy viscous couplers or other crazy shit like that to blow up. Plus the NP-231 is supposed to be pretty durable and simple to rebuild, not to mention it's 2.72:1 low range. Couple that to an AX-15 5-speed and you've got yourself a winning combo. Big Grin Only thing I really don't like is the slip-yoke crap, but I haven't had any problems with it yet and it'll likely get replaced one of these days. On a side note, I found something for everyone's favorite ginger hillbilly-

[Image: v24_diesel_2.jpg]

http://www.rodauthority.com/news/24-cylinder-big-mike-detroit-diesel-is-a-sight-and-sound-to-behold/

So I knew my brakes were bad.....
Turns out only one was bad, had a stuck caliper that went unchecked for awhile. 
New rotor, pads and caliper on the right rear and new pads and the rotor turned on the driver side.

[Image: IMG_20150305_114617969.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20150305_151451203.jpg]
Jesus Christ of Nazareth on a donkey 5.9... don't you ever like, I dunno, give that shit a quick look every 6 months or so? Dem's some of the worst-looking brakes I've ever seen.

Speaking of brakes, I probably said it 23 times today, but it bears repeating here- drum brakes fucking suck. Finally got around to doing my rear brakes today, shoes on one side were down to maybe 1/2- 1/4 of the lining, plus they had cracks in them, leading shoe on the other side had worn unevenly (more lining at the top than the bottom.) so I just went through and did everything, shoes, drums, hardware, everything. It's not that I CAN'T do them, I'd just rather NOT. It's a pain wrestling springs and pins and getting everything put into place just right.

Now I'm just waiting for one of the old-timers (with my luck it'll probably be irritator) to pop in here and go "Yoo gaul dern soft whipper-snappers! In muh day, all we's had was drum brakes! Yoo ever try doin' the front drums on a south-bound deuce-and-a-half?! That's a real pain in yer keister, but in muh days, 'twas all we had an' we was gosh-derned happy fer it!" Irregardless, I think we can all agree, drum brakes fucking suck.

Meh, one rear brake shoe dragging on a truck like mine isn't that big of a deal.
Truck still stopped mine, didn't make a ton of noise, and I haven't been towing anything in a while. I knew I was going to have to get a new drum and caliper anyways, so fuck it.
It was funny how the driver side rotor was a bitch to get off. I had to soak that bitch in penetrating oil, beat it with a dead blow, than a bigger dead blow, break the dead blow, then heat it up with a rosebud and beat it some more while prying on it with a 4' pry bar.
The side that was covered in a big pile of rusty caked on metal and had getting hot as hell for god knows how long....
Hit it with a mallet, and it came sliding off. 

Drum brakes are fucking gay.
At least you aren't doing any big ones. The brakes on that dump truck I posted a picture of is the biggest pain in the fucking ass.
Hell golf carts have drum breaks and those little things are a pain the ass.
Once messed around with the front drums on a '70's-era Ford F100. That was probably the worst brake job I ever did/saw. Passenger side drum popped right off with a pry bar, driver side front drum would NOT come the fuck off, and we tried everything... penetrating oil, pry bar, smacking the drum with a dead blow, even hitting the edge of the drum with an air hammer while prying it outwards with a pry bar. Yes, you read that right, A FUCKING AIR HAMMER. Still didn't budge. And no, I don't remember it having a star wheel. I wandered off to do some other shit in the shop, don't remember how they got that thing off, but they did.

Oh you...

Thread relly- clutch master cylinder decided it had lived a long, rich, colorful 20-year life and it's time had come this morning... Thing was basically jammed in the engaged position for whatever reason. Shouldn't be too hard to replace, but holy shit, is this stuff expensive. The cheapest master cylinder/line/slave cylinder kit I saw was $150. The parts stores are all charging like $190, more than a basic clutch kit. O_o  Thought I might save a few bucks and buy everything seperately, but fuck, the plastic line was the most expensive part ($80 or $90) Oh well, at least it has a lifetime warranty. Dropped the slave cylinder rod retaining clip in the bellhousing like I knew I would, fished it out with my magnetic pickup tool along with a steel ball from a bearing. Uh-oh. Fix one thing, three more break (or you find out they're broken.)

Sister likely totalled her Jeep over the weekend. She was up at the state park cruising around, being a country girl with a jeep in the snow. She says she hit a patch of ice she didn't see, spun the thing anround and into a snowbank on the side of the road that had frozen about solid. Broke both control arms, ball joint, sway bar and linkage, both tie rods, bent the wheel, blew the tire on one side, and broke the front u joint. Theres also body damge on 3 sides. I asked if she was hurt and she said "no, at least I wasn't going very fast". Fuck, that's an awful lot of damage for a low speed collision with a snowback (albiet a frozen solid one). Anyway, nothing to really say or do about it. Waiting to hear back from the insurance adjuster, but I'm trying to get her ready for it to be totalled. It's high miles cause she drives the fuck out of it, a 2005, and she still owes money on it. She put a bunch of work into it though, and a new motor a couple years ago, so she's pretty attached to it and doesn't want to let it go.
All I'm getting from the last two posts are that Jeeps are pieces of shit.
Glad your sister is OK though Mick.
(03-09-2015, 08:31 PM)5.9lcummins Wrote: All I'm getting from the last two posts are that Jeeps are pieces of shit.

At least both these Jeeps still have something resembling brakes.  Tongue 

(03-09-2015, 08:36 PM)IamIan Wrote:
(03-09-2015, 08:31 PM)5.9lcummins Wrote: All I'm getting from the last two posts are that Jeeps are pieces of shit.

At least both these Jeeps still have something resembling brakes.  Tongue 

Mine has brand new brakes, haha.
Opinions and experience with Toyota FJ? Was about to buy one when the dork hipster neighbor drove by in one - the image may have ruined it for me.

Landcruiser wannabe? Or legit contender for the remote recesses of the Southwest deserts?
there is no safety in numbers. numbers do not lie.
(03-10-2015, 07:20 AM)OldFart Wrote: Opinions and experience with Toyota FJ? Was about to buy one when the dork hipster neighbor drove by in one - the image may have ruined it for me.

Landcruiser wannabe? Or legit contender for the remote recesses of the Southwest deserts?

If I had to buy a new or newer-ish 'Yota SUV, I think I'd buy a 4Runner-

[Image: 54365d1323552708-official-5th-gen-toyota...g_0290.jpg]

Then again, the quality/reliability of new Toyota stuff seems to have gone down the shitter the last 10 years or so, so just buy an XJ. Big Grin

4runners are pretty legit.
Good trucks.
Having gone mudding in one, I'd say the FJ is like a heavier Wrangler. Tough as shit, but if you already have effective transportation it's not much better than any other expensive toy. And it's most definitely co-opted by the Starbucks and Heineken crowd.
Pull the carb off my road king today and cleaned it. It had been stalling every now and the at red light. Like after it sat at idle for a minute or two it would cough and die. Discovered that whoever re-jetted it before I owned it had turned the idle mixture screw all the way in and not backed it out at all. 3 1/4 turns later and it idles fine so far. Hopefully that was the problem.