Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reserve to active ??
Dropping to the IRR in 2 months from the reserves and realized that I have done absolutely nothing but skate my entire enlistment (not a surprise right ?). Now I really feel like a piece of shit and would give up my good for nothing political science degree for a chance to go active duty in the fleet and actually get to do as well as contribute something. Know about OCS, but also know that my run time is weak (fastest was 21:38 3 years ago) and that I in all honesty don't have the charisma required. So I talked to a prior service recruiter in my area (because my unit's career planner is 800 miles away in a different state) and he said I could do the active reserves. Looked the program up and apparently if you get in you are just supplementing I&I staff ? So this led me to question if it is even possible for someone in the reserve component to actually transition to active duty by which I mean the fleet? Are IMA billets the only way ? My initial impression was that I could re-enlist, LAT move, and then go to the fleet? I'm a LCPL in motor T, but I have no intention of staying in that MOS. Took the DLAB the other day because I figured it better my prospects to LAT move and go linguist, but I am increasingly realizing that this all sounds like a snowball's chance in hell. I kid myself in the reserves that I would eventually deploy and that I should focus on college, but now I'm getting a grasp of what I missed. Thanks to anybody who provides input, appreciate it.
AR is typically like an augment to i&i, yeah. As a lance there's not much for you in the rest of the creamcorn. How far are you from corporal? If you can pin corporal while irr you can try to snag the random higher headquarters type billets that the taps class talks about as a great opportunity blah blah blah.
They come with fire,they come with axes...Destroyers&usurpers,curse them. GALL:I hope you get run over by a dumptruck full of babydicks CORVUS:yoss hates&knows everything BAN724:I like how buttmad ppl get about Yoss except if you lie still&listen he is trying to make us all better debaters
Here is everything currently available for SMCR and IMA:

http://www.marforres.marines.mil/About/Reserve-Career-Billets/

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
(10-03-2014, 09:51 AM)austinjking pid=' Wrote:<br />About that, give me a ring when this isn't Tumblrlance anymore<br />
(01-11-2017, 11:31 PM)Yossarian Wrote: AR is typically like an augment to i&i, yeah. As a lance there's not much for you in the rest of the creamcorn. How far are you from corporal? If you can pin corporal while irr you can try to snag the random higher headquarters type billets that the taps class talks about as a great opportunity blah blah blah.
My composite score is 1686, and the cutting score for reserve Motor T is 1740. How does getting promoted in the IRR work? Do the fields for scores change, or is it just a waiting game until you have so much time in that they finally promote you? Additionally if you get one of those higher headquarter type billets, will they retrain you ? Thanks for your reply and everyone else's
(01-12-2017, 08:40 AM)Nasty_reservist Wrote:
(01-11-2017, 11:31 PM)Yossarian Wrote: AR is typically like an augment to i&i, yeah. As a lance there's not much for you in the rest of the creamcorn. How far are you from corporal? If you can pin corporal while irr you can try to snag the random higher headquarters type billets that the taps class talks about as a great opportunity blah blah blah.
My composite score is 1686, and the cutting score for reserve Motor T is 1740. How does getting promoted in the IRR work? Do the fields for scores change, or is it just a waiting game until you have so much time in that they finally promote you? Additionally if you get one of those higher headquarter type billets, will they retrain you ? Thanks for your reply and everyone else's

What retraining? You'd be something stupid like G-3 coffee bitch for some annual exercise or whatever.
They come with fire,they come with axes...Destroyers&usurpers,curse them. GALL:I hope you get run over by a dumptruck full of babydicks CORVUS:yoss hates&knows everything BAN724:I like how buttmad ppl get about Yoss except if you lie still&listen he is trying to make us all better debaters
AR is also eligible for Combat Instructor Duty.

(10-03-2014, 09:51 AM)austinjking pid=' Wrote:<br />About that, give me a ring when this isn't Tumblrlance anymore<br />
(01-12-2017, 10:40 AM)Rerun0369 Wrote: AR is also eligible for Combat Instructor Duty.

We had a guy here who did that, moose.
But he was already a sergeant.
So OP needs to break out those kneepads and finish his MCIs.
Thanks for all the input guys, glad to know more of the truth about the active reserves and the predisposition to being a coffee bitch if you go with one of those headquarters billets. I have maxed out on MCI's but I'll break out the kneepads as suggested. Done some more research however and learned that the counter-intel 0211 LAT move program actually accepts reservists (called the # attached to the Mar-admin for some Intel command in Pendleton). Catch is you have to be a cpl and be able to pass a selection board along with test pre-requisites (not that hard like decent ASVAB score, polygraph,typing test, etc.) . I kind of get the feeling that you have to be shit hot though to get your foot in the door and that they are more or less looking for those with deployed experience already? If I pick up Cpl, (planning on trying to get recruiting points), would it be worth a shot? honestly ? Somewhere on another forum someone said that 0211's are ghosts that cannot be found, but if there is an 0211 out there can you give some pointers and whether you know of any reservists or IRR members that made the transition ? Thanks again
(01-12-2017, 10:44 AM)Yossarian Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 10:40 AM)Rerun0369 Wrote: AR is also eligible for Combat Instructor Duty.

You only need to be a Cpl, just like any other Combat Instructor. Get your anecdotal crap outta here.

You're not ci material.
If you want to go intel that bad, crossdeck to the guard in Utah or Colorado ersumshit.
And unless you blow that dlab out of the water with a 115 or better, don't expect an easy time trying to lat move to 267x because nobody wants to waste funding on a rock out.

(01-12-2017, 02:00 PM)Rerun0369 Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 10:44 AM)Yossarian Wrote:

You only need to be a Cpl, just like any other Combat Instructor. Get your anecdotal crap outta here.

Op is a lance. So... Kneepads. 
Nah, he just needs to hang out for a quarter and he will probably have the score. Maybe go to some voluntary drills, etc.

(01-12-2017, 01:02 PM)Nasty_reservist Wrote: Thanks for all the input guys, glad to know more of the truth about the active reserves and the predisposition to being a coffee bitch if you go with one of those headquarters billets. I have maxed out on MCI's but I'll break out the kneepads as suggested. Done some more research however and learned that the counter-intel 0211 LAT move program actually accepts reservists (called the # attached to the Mar-admin for some Intel command in Pendleton). Catch is you have to be a cpl and be able to pass a selection board along with test pre-requisites (not that hard like decent ASVAB score, polygraph,typing test, etc.) . I kind of get the feeling that you have to be shit hot though to get your foot in the door and that they are more or less looking for those with deployed experience already? If I pick up Cpl, (planning on trying to get recruiting points), would it be worth a shot? honestly ? Somewhere on another forum someone said that 0211's are ghosts that cannot be found, but if there is an 0211 out there can you give some pointers and whether you know of any reservists or IRR members that made the transition ? Thanks again

You do not need to be shit hot to be an 0211... you just have to be able to talk to people. And nobody see's 0211 because they are tucked away in Intel Battalion when not deployed.
(01-12-2017, 05:44 PM)TheKillerSpork.2 Wrote: You do not need to be shit hot to be an 0211... you just have to be able to talk to people. And nobody see's 0211 because they are tucked away in Intel Battalion when not deployed.

And given the ridiculous op-tempo (unless they've managed to flood the MOS with bodies since I last checked) means they're gone gone gone.
I'm not a Marine anymore but ended up going the CI route on the fed side. 0211s are both CI and HUMINT. CI prevents bad guys from gathering info or doing subversive stuff to good guys while HUMINT gathers information on the enemy by managing sources (usually indigenous people). They're constantly deployed because it's really the only time when they can do their jobs. The guys doing CI at Navy/Marine bases in less hostile places are usually civilian NCIS agents or law enforcement types, so 0211s tend to be more HUMINT focused. They do CI work when deployed but to a limited extent stateside.

To be clear, it isn't a high speed operator MOS and it's very writing intensive, much like being a journalist for the intel world (gathering intel means writing, who knew?). You will be trained in some cool guy stuff (surveillance etc) but that's maybe 10% of what you do. The washout rate from the board/MOS school is high because the Marine Corps immediately trains CI/HUMINT at the intermediate level in the DoD for that field, so they enjoy a good reputation in the community and only want Marines with a very specific personality type. You could be a great Marine but you either have the personality for it or you don't. Being a shit hot Marine helps though.

If you really want to get into the CI route, have you considered checking out the Army? CI and HUMINT are separate MOSs and the Army has a more traditional CI career path (i.e. not needing to pass a board/school designed to wash most people out). Not to say it's easier per se, but they start you out from the ground up at the basic level and have more focus. They also have a lot more assignments to pick from than austere deployments. Like on the USMC side, it isn't entry level (you have to be a Sgt I think).
We're ahead of our time. Floating through...
The sky is falling down. This night belongs to you.
(01-12-2017, 07:37 PM)ABACABB Wrote: To be clear, it isn't a high speed operator MOS and it's very writing intensive, much like being a journalist for the intel world (gathering intel means writing, who knew?). You will be trained in some cool guy stuff (surveillance etc) but that's maybe 10% of what you do. The washout rate from the board/MOS school is high because the Marine Corps immediately trains CI/HUMINT at the intermediate level in the DoD for that field, so they enjoy a good reputation in the community and only want Marines with a very specific personality type. You could be a great Marine but you either have the personality for it or you don't. Being a shit hot Marine helps though.

I was recently talking to a HUMINT SSgt who was working with us for an exercise and he was telling me that they are not boarding at the moment. Instead you get accepted to OJT and if you can hang in there until your Class date, you're good. And supposedly the failure rate has somewhat dropped recently due to the need for 0211's. I don't know if that's just a case of "well back in my day..." or what.
That would make sense, despite DoD budget slashing there is still a huge appetite for HUMINT among commanders. In fact, one of the chief complaints I've heard among uniformed types writ large is that even non-HUMINT CI agents are constantly misused to fill HUMINT billets because commanders either don't understand or appreciate CI but need more HUMINT. Seeing as Marines are pretty well trained in both from the get go, I can see the standards being loosened a bit to meet current demand. Just conjecture.
We're ahead of our time. Floating through...
The sky is falling down. This night belongs to you.