Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TL Master Chef/Cooking Crew
The wife, believe it or not, does not like the taste of charcoal cooked meat. Says it tastes like lighter fluid, even when I get the no-fluid-required kind and let that shit burn off completely into a gray bed, she still says it tastes like lighter fluid.
Just a dumb grunt.
(08-04-2016, 02:56 AM)Handicap Wrote: The wife, believe it or not, does not like the taste of charcoal cooked meat. Says it tastes like lighter fluid, even when I get the no-fluid-required kind and let that shit burn off completely into a gray bed, she still says it tastes like lighter fluid.

She ain't right
(08-04-2016, 02:56 AM)Handicap Wrote: The wife, believe it or not, does not like the taste of charcoal cooked meat. Says it tastes like lighter fluid, even when I get the no-fluid-required kind and let that shit burn off completely into a gray bed, she still says it tastes like lighter fluid.

Would you take it terribly amiss if I said your wife was an idiot?
A penis lives a terrible life. His hair is a mess, his family are nuts, his neighbour is an asshole, his best friend is a pussy, someone keeps beating him...

Poor thing.
I agree that I don't like grilled food started with lighter fluid...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saru mo ki kara  ochiru
My third-world breakfast from this morning

[Image: q5lYtFU.jpg]

I guess I should explain for all you non-cultured fucks here.  Chorizo con huevo and frijoles with homemade tortillas de harina.
Did you make the tortillas with lard?
(08-04-2016, 09:02 PM)CPD Wrote: Did you make the tortillas with lard?

shortening.  I have heard that lard is better though (tasting)
Lard makes great tortillas, we make tamales that way too.

That breakfast looks amazing!

If someone doesnt like the taste of charcoal, try using natural lump charcoal, and let it burn until the smoke clears and its nice and hot. If they still dont like it they can cook their own fucking dinner.

I have two packer briskets in the Egg right now. Should be a treat, making burnt ends from the points!
(08-04-2016, 10:05 AM)notoriousfavi Wrote: She ain't right
(08-04-2016, 03:19 PM)Wombitch Wrote: Would you take it terribly amiss if I said your wife was an idiot?
(08-04-2016, 05:50 PM)hussaf Wrote: I agree that I don't like grilled food started with lighter fluid...

I've tried it a bunch of ways. Natural formed etc, being extremely conservative with the use of lighter fluid, always letting it cook off completely before throwing the meat on, keeping the grill insert itself out until everything is cooked off and then throwing it back in to the grill with enough time for it to heat up prior to throwing the meat on. All sorts of stuff.

My last resort won't happen until we buy/build a house and I can get a no shit wood fire stove built onto the back patio. I figure some oak and hickory should be better than charcoal all together. Until then, we're continuing to look at new grills and I need to replace the rack on my Weber since it's rusted out in the year it's been sitting outside in the humidity, not being used.
Just a dumb grunt.
Use lump charcoal, don't use briquettes

get one of these:

[Image: eac91e34-2885-499b-a213-6677a2923bc4_1.c...nBg=FFFFFF]
And use lump charcoal not briquettes
use a single piece of b/w newspaper twisted up, then coiled underneath of a load of lump charcoal, not briquettes.

Oh, and, don't use briquettes, get yourself some lump charcoal.

Smile
Small Empires make little people feel big
(08-04-2016, 08:22 PM)notoriousfavi Wrote: My third-world breakfast from this morning

I guess I should explain for all you non-cultured fucks here.  Chorizo con huevo and frijoles with homemade tortillas de harina.

Never made homemade tortillas - and I always use the super ground up chorizo, so my eggs are actually all mixed in completely and just like orange.
Maximilian: Quinn taught me to dance on the pole.
life is killing me: quinn you are an enigma
Yossarian: Just imagine a really nice rack on a body attached to a face with an expression that screams, "fuck you, I'm an awesome den mother and will care package you to death" 
(08-08-2016, 11:41 AM)Quinness Wrote:
(08-04-2016, 08:22 PM)notoriousfavi Wrote: My third-world breakfast from this morning

Never made homemade tortillas - and I always use the super ground up chorizo, so my eggs are actually all mixed in completely and just like orange.

They're really easy to make.  Ban said I should do a snapchat tutorial on it.  I just may
Also, can you buy lard?

We just have a big jar of bacon fat in the fridge we use for stuff like beans, or cooking stuff we want to have extra flavor...
Yossarian: Just imagine a really nice rack on a body attached to a face with an expression that screams, "fuck you, I'm an awesome den mother and will care package you to death" 
Do you buy the bacon fat in a jar or is it bleed off from cooking bacon you just keep?
Just a dumb grunt.
Bleed off - mine is just a mason jar I keep in the fridge and whenever I'm done cooking bacon, I wait for it to cool for a few minutes, and then pour it onto the rest.
(08-09-2016, 07:30 AM)Quinness Wrote: Also, can you buy lard?

I don't know about your location but in my little town I can get tubs of lard/manteca at the Mexi-mart.

[Image: Lard.jpg]
(08-08-2016, 11:41 AM)Quinness Wrote:

Ugh I can't eat chorizo with egg unless they are both defined. Like when you mix ground sausage with egg. Otherwise it's too much like poo poo and I have to turn it into a breakfast burrito

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
CPD: after you beat up someone you gotta take something from them.  CPD: it can be food, money, their anal virginity, whatever, but you gotta take something from him

#FREEHCT

[Image: octoCookie_zps30dh4gn8.jpg]
(08-09-2016, 07:30 AM)Quinness Wrote: Also, can you buy lard?

We just have a big jar of bacon fat in the fridge we use for stuff like beans, or cooking stuff we want to have extra flavor...

Yes, you can buy tubs of various nicely rendered fats; duck or goose fat, beef tallow or the bacon fat you have makes roasted vegetables (potatoes and onions especially) borderline erotic. Duck fat potatoes are far too good.

Look in the meat section of your supermarket, ask a butcher directly (he will have his offcuts, and has probably cooked them down) or go to the Mexi-mart.

Would this be a good time to talk the world at large through rendering fat properly? It makes the fat a little...cleaner and more neutral in flavor, so you can use it for everything from frying potatoes to making pastry without any aftertaste.
A penis lives a terrible life. His hair is a mess, his family are nuts, his neighbour is an asshole, his best friend is a pussy, someone keeps beating him...

Poor thing.
That lard in the green/white bucket is of inferior quality. You should be using bacon fat, duck fat in a jar (they even sell it at my local grocery store), or lard direct from the butcher which you can get for under 2 bucks.
(08-09-2016, 10:26 AM)Wombitch Wrote:
(08-09-2016, 07:30 AM)Quinness Wrote: Would this be a good time to talk the world at large through rendering fat properly? It makes the fat a little...cleaner and more neutral in flavor, so you can use it for everything from frying potatoes to making pastry without any aftertaste.

I'm listening...
Okay ladies and gentlemen. The matter of the fat.

The major reasons we render fat before we use it are fairly simple. It removes impurities, which makes the fat more stable in long term storage; old and rancid cooking fat is the worst. Rendered fat is also a little cleaner when exposed to heat (less smoke and less sputtering, which is why tallow candles were historically a thing) and melts more evenly to cover the pan.

Rendered pork fat is lard. Rendered beef or lamb makes tallow. Rendering poultry like chickens or ducks usually produces schmaltz - the Yiddish version of pork rinds/chicharrones is called gribenes, a side effect of rendering chicken fat and accidentally frying little crispy scraps of the bird's skin. The process is basically the same for fat from any animal, but for the purposes of the explanation I'll use pork fat as default.

To begin with, you want some very fatty part of the animal. On a pig, the usual choices would be fatback, pork belly (this explains why bacon works so well - American style bacon is a cured belly cut; Stresser, your bacon in Canada could be either belly or a much leaner cut of the loin which is not quite as good a fit for rendering) or what's called "leaf lard", the fatty deposits that protect the kidneys. Of those, leaf lard is most valued, as it's some of the cleanest fat anywhere on the pig. Any fat will do though. If you've trimmed fat away from something, keep it and render it down.

Cut it into small pieces, trimming anything away that you really don't want. This is easiest to do straight out of the fridge, when the fat is still cold and hardened enough to hold its shape. The reason we do this is to have as much surface area exposed as possible. You can use bigger pieces if you really want to (like when Quinn saves her fat from cooking full-sized strips) but they won't melt as evenly or leave the cracklings as crisp.

Add some water to into a container (a pot, a deep frying pan) over a low heat on the stove. Drop your cubed/grated/ground fat in and wait, stirring occasionally - every half an hour or so is plenty. You COULD do this in the oven, but I find it easier to avoid burning the fat (burnt fat has a distinctive aftertaste) on the stovetop.

Low, slow heat will eventually give you a pan full of liquid hot grease and crispy fried scraps of meat or skin sitting on the bottom.

Pour the hot grease through a strainer, but be careful. If you're never been bitten by an angry deep fryer before, I can confirm that hot fat BURNS. You should see the scarring on my arms and hands. Strain it at least once, preferably two or more times, and go through muslin or something similar the second time. Save it in a clean jar and keep it cold to solidify it.

When it sets, it should be cream or white (not yellow, if it's yellow it's burned and should be used only to fry things in because it will have an aftertaste - it's still usable, but not a perfect fit for every use) and have no smell. White lard or tallow can be used anywhere you would use any other fat like butter or oil; pastry or baking, to make a roux for a sauce, deep-frying, wherever you like. I know of at least one place that serves "pork butter" on their fresh bread; half butter and half lard, spread on hot bread just as it is.

Eat the fried scraps Big Grin

Poor thing.
ok, so use the water as a heat transfer medium to melt the fat, then eventually it will boil off leaving the rendered fat behind?

What exactly does rendering mean?

This sounds like a crock pot would be ideal for this.

When I make burgers from scratch I usually use lean beef but then toss in a handful of bacon grease. Is that bad, should I have not done that?
(08-11-2016, 01:06 PM)stresser Wrote: ok, so use the water as a heat transfer medium to melt the fat, then eventually it will boil off leaving the rendered fat behind?

What exactly does rendering mean?

This sounds like a crock pot would be ideal for this.

When I make burgers from scratch I usually use lean beef but then toss in a handful of bacon grease. Is that bad, should I have not done that?

Yes, that's right. It's a process called wet-rendering. It's also possible to dry-render, without liquid, but wet-rendering is easier to get right without burning.

[Image: raw-bacon-slice-27937802.jpg]

This is raw side bacon, belly bacon, streaky bacon, call it what you like. See how the layers of fat and meat are bound together? Rendering uses heat to melt the fat and separate it out away from meat, skin and other things for use. This is something that happens to an extent when you cook any fatty meat; cutting it into smaller sections (even cutting a strip of bacon in half instead of cooking it whole would help) just makes it faster and easier to extract because it increases the total surface area exposed to heat. If you're cooking something down SPECIFICALLY for fat - like skin and other trimmings from chicken thighs, which you otherwise would throw out as waste - cut it very small to get as much as you can.

A crockpot works very well Smile

You're using it perfectly. One of the things rendered fat is great for is adding moisture and richness to things (like vegetables or lean meat...your burgers, or the common practice of wrapping the very lean filet mignon in bacon strips, called "barding") that need it but don't naturally have it.

Poor thing.
So I'm making pizza from scratch tonight.  I didn't realize that the dough was made the day before for a reason (referring to our preppers at Cici's Pizza when I worked there as a kid).  Anyway, I'm excited.  Right now, I'm letting the dough set.  Videos and articles I've browsed suggested letting the dough settle from anywhere to 2 to 4 hours, and some even up to 12.  I'm letting mine set for 1.  If I decide to make it tonight, I'll do it.  If not, I guess I'll just use it tomorrow.  Undecided

I've always been picky about pizza (worked at Cici's Pizza and Pizza Hut before the Corps).  Now that I am making it from scratch, I really have to set up my game.
Anyway, wish me luck, and stand by for pics.
(08-12-2016, 09:41 PM)notoriousfavi Wrote: So I'm making pizza from scratch tonight.  I didn't realize that the dough was made the day before for a reason (referring to our preppers at Cici's Pizza when I worked there as a kid).  Anyway, I'm excited.  Right now, I'm letting the dough set.  Videos and articles I've browsed suggested letting the dough settle from anywhere to 2 to 4 hours, and some even up to 12.  I'm letting mine set for 1.  If I decide to make it tonight, I'll do it.  If not, I guess I'll just use it tomorrow.  Undecided

I've always been picky about pizza (worked at Cici's Pizza and Pizza Hut before the Corps).  Now that I am making it from scratch, I really have to set up my game.
Anyway, wish me luck, and stand by for pics.

You didn't?

It has yeast in it. Yeast is a living thing, and it takes time to work because it's eating carbohydrates and other sugars in the dough. That gradual reaction of the yeast with the yeast-food creates carbon dioxide bubbles and the bubbles make the dough rise.

Science! Big Grin

Poor thing.