Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
History Jizz
I'd want to see what North America was like before white people showed up.

half of the fun of being in the Air Force is watching the other branches get confused and outraged about it
(01-13-2016, 08:53 AM)SSgt Corvus Wrote: I'd want to see what North America was like before white people showed up.

I'd just like to see my area of NW Ohio when it was still the Black Swamp...it got drained and is all farmland now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saru mo ki kara  ochiru
(01-13-2016, 07:52 AM)life is killing me Wrote: I hadn't heard about that. I'm interested to find out more about it. I just don't want to hear it from anything related to The History Channel, because it'd be in a reality TV show where they talk to some old codger in like West Virginia or some shit who has a bunch of legends and stories to tell about his family members from 400 years ago and no real facts. You know, so they can get viewers who believe what he's saying.

Yeah, I don't go to History or Discovery for anything anymore. I'll see if I can source some of this stuff from a reputable place for you.

(01-13-2016, 08:52 AM)Tikilounge Wrote: History Channel did a reality show about this last year, of course they still didn't find shit.

It's still going, actually and they are finding a lot more than they did in season 1.
Just a dumb grunt.
(01-13-2016, 09:04 AM)hussaf Wrote:
(01-13-2016, 08:53 AM)SSgt Corvus Wrote: I'd want to see what North America was like before white people showed up.

I'd just like to see my area of NW Ohio when it was still the Black Swamp...it got drained and is all farmland now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the lame thing about the midwest. It used to be unique with all the prairie and buffalo and shit and then it all got turned into farms. Illinois, the fucking Prairie State, has less than three square miles of native prairie remaining.

SHAMEFUR DISRPAY

half of the fun of being in the Air Force is watching the other branches get confused and outraged about it
Fuck you and your prairie. I shit on your natural environment every time I go to the grocery store bugger. 
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back.
(01-13-2016, 09:26 AM)Handicap Wrote:
(01-13-2016, 08:52 AM)Tikilounge Wrote: History Channel did a reality show about this last year, of course they still didn't find shit.

It's still going, actually and they are finding a lot more than they did in season 1.

Like what, more suspicious fucking coconut fibers? I heard them refer to that and it reminded me of this;

[Image: 8AOXfI5.jpg]
(01-13-2016, 08:53 AM)SSgt Corvus Wrote: I'd want to see what North America was like before white people showed up.

A traveling companion for my tour of 13th century Cahokia! Smile
(01-13-2016, 05:25 PM)CivilianChick Wrote:

I'll bring the beer

(01-13-2016, 08:24 PM)SSgt Corvus Wrote:
(01-13-2016, 05:25 PM)CivilianChick Wrote:

I'll bring the beer

Okay, but I wouldn't mix it with the black drink if I were you, that just sounds like a recipe for trouble: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_drink

Here's an interesting fact: The rock band The Cult was originally called Southern Death Cult, after an obsolete name for the Southeastern Ceremonial Complex: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeastern_Ceremonial_Complex

[url=//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/][/url]

Any specific region?  Also, what time frame? 
I would like to have been on one of the expeditions led by an ancestor, Zebulon Pike. He wasn't as famous as Lewis and Clark, but he held his own. Pikes Peak is named after him.
Or I would love to have been on General Curtis LeMay's staff as he built up Strategic Air Command from a few bomber wings to the front and center priority of the entire DoD. As much as I like to rag on zoomies, SAC was so prepared for Soviet attack that several hundred nuclear bombers were on 15-minute combat alert, 24/7, for fucking decades. LeMay was prepared to vaporize several million Soviets at any time. Bombers were trained to land on dry lake beds and highways, in anticipation that their home airfields would have been destroyed by the Soviets. Cold War history is actually pretty fascinating, considered the technology that was developed to fight a war that would more or less end in less than 2 days which may as well have ended western civilization.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
(01-14-2016, 06:18 PM)austinjking Wrote: I would like to have been on one of the expeditions led by an ancestor, Zebulon Pike.

That is a crazy ass name, for a few seconds I though you were talking about a Futurama episode.
[Image: dpo8auk.gif]

(05-06-2016, 02:33 PM)NSFgirl Wrote: You're a terrible person, wongtastic.
I'd be very curious to see what the Russian Far East was like prior to the 16th century. I saw a very interesting documentary about the cultures there and how their traditions were affected by the Russian conquest. Its not something that there seems to be a lot of information

I'd also love to see how Nan Madol was built and what it was like at its height. There are so many times and places where there's tantalizingly little information available and I want to fill in these gaps in history so much:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nan_Madol
I've done some reading about the Lewis and Clarke expedition. Man how about that as the ultimate adventure? Only downside is everyone got syphilis from the Mandan tribe while they wintered with them.

(01-15-2016, 04:13 PM)SSgt Corvus Wrote: I've done some reading about the Lewis and Clarke expedition. Man how about that as the ultimate adventure? Only downside is everyone got syphilis from the Mandan tribe while they wintered with them.

I'd like to talk to Sacagawea and hear what she had to say, especially since she had her baby with her during the expedition. Being a mother in modern times plenty challenging, but imagine being out there in the uncharted wilderness with baby to deal with.

Her son grew up to be a pretty interesting guy in his own right:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Baptiste_Charbonneau
I'd like to go back to Oct. 10th 1986 with what I know now and completely start over.

I love history but with a few minor adjustments the time I've lived in has been pretty dandy.
I want to go back in time and see some of the missing links in the bat evolutionary chain.

In fact, I want to go look at several transitional fossils while they were still alive, both the ones known to science and unknown to science, especially the ones in human evolution.
Pike is legendary. You all get cool ancestors. Anyone else want to see just how certain historical figures actually died? Like Hitler. Or maybe I could watch Custer get fucked up. Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr's duel would be great to see. Or any of Jackson's duels, especially the one where he got shot.
Im pretty sure we know how hitler died...
gp back in time with a BASE rig and save the pilots. hahah
Yossarian [29|Sep 07:53 AM]: oh god. imagine a mustang seabee chaplain?!
(01-16-2016, 12:16 PM)Notorious P.O.G. Wrote: Im pretty sure we know how hitler died...

By me going back in time and popping a bullet into his head before he ever came to power.

That reminds me of this short story:
http://www.abyssapexzine.com/wikihistory/
(01-16-2016, 04:40 PM)CivilianChick Wrote:
(01-16-2016, 12:16 PM)Notorious P.O.G. Wrote: Im pretty sure we know how hitler died...

By me going back in time and popping a bullet into his head before he ever came to power.

You're Jewish we get it. 

We know how the others I named died, too. I meant actually witnessing it to SEE how they died.
(01-17-2016, 04:22 PM)HardCoreTurtle Wrote:

You're Jewish we get it. 

Plenty of reasons to kill the guy that don't need someone to be Jewish. I'd want to blow his head off, and I'm not.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a lot of bitching.<br /><br />- The Tao of Wombat
(01-17-2016, 04:40 PM)CombatWombat Wrote:
(01-17-2016, 04:22 PM)HardCoreTurtle Wrote:

You're Jewish we get it. 

Plenty of reasons to kill the guy that don't need someone to be Jewish. I'd want to blow his head off, and I'm not.

So you'd alter history without having a single care about the possible consequences? K goy.