Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask a Marine who joined the National Guard anything
Exactly what the title says, I'm not a recruiter but can get you the information that you need.  Also that being said every state is different and I can only truly speak to my experience.
What do you do in the National Guard?

Why did you join the National Guard?

Are you fat?

What are your chances of deploying with the NG?

Do your Marine buddies make fun of you and have less respect for you now?
Oh god, I've worked with a couple guard units(1-174 and 1-204) and they are horrible at everything. WHY
[Image: 55PMbQd.png]
CPD: I'm an MP however we focus on the field side of the MP Corps as opposed to the Law Enforcement side as we don't have a base to patrol.

I joined because I wanted #datTriCare but serious I joined because I missed the element of service in my life and wanted to continue to wear a uniform and train a younger generation.

I am within height and weight regulations, you douche. (yes there are a lot of fat guardsmen)

The Unit I am in was slated to be deployed last year, but there was no where to go. Another unit in my state is going to be going to Cuba at some point in the next year. There are opportunities to deploy but you have to look for them. During the actual war in Iraq deployments were ever 3 years for a year at a time (from what guys in my unit have said)

Yes I get shit from some of my buddies HOWEVER the number of former Marines in the guard would surprise you. Out of a unit of around 200 soldiers there are about 20-30 former Marines, a bunch of former active duty Army, and a handful of former Navy.

(03-01-2015, 08:55 AM)Trash Boat Wrote: Oh god, I've worked with a couple guard units(1-174 and 1-204) and they are horrible at everything. WHY

Because they get a shitty amount of training from leadership that has only ever done 1 weekend a month 2 weeks a year and have no concept of leading troops.

Also because most of the soldiers don't want to be there and lack discipline.
(03-01-2015, 09:28 AM)damn03 Wrote: If I don't get selected for staff, I'm done with the Corps. The guard doesn't give a shit about me being a 10yr Sgt do they?... Because I will join the guard if the Marine Corps is done with me, I want the retirement and the healthcare

You should be good to go, I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure there is no cutoff for time in grade before they kick you out. There is a female E-5 in my unit that has been in the military since the 80's, she has broken service but she can't get promoted due to being old and injured so she can't do a PFT to get promoted.
(03-01-2015, 10:34 AM)damn03 Wrote: yeah, ive seen some old fucking E5's

Best thing you can do is talk to a recruiter PRIOR to getting out.  I assume with your time in the reserves you don't owe any IRR time, if you get out and are not in the IRR you have to go through MEPS again, and as a prior that is a pain in the rear like you would not believe.  Also contrary to popular belief you can collect VA disability while in the Guard (but not in the reserves) because you're being paid by the state.  The VA just prorates the amount you get each month by offsetting the number of days that you're at drill.
(03-01-2015, 10:45 AM)damn03 Wrote:
(03-01-2015, 10:41 AM)Cpl Verde Wrote:
(03-01-2015, 10:34 AM)damn03 Wrote: yeah, ive seen some old fucking E5's

Best thing you can do is talk to a recruiter PRIOR to getting out.  I assume with your time in the reserves you don't owe any IRR time, if you get out and are not in the IRR you have to go through MEPS again, and as a prior that is a pain in the rear like you would not believe.  Also contrary to popular belief you can collect VA disability while in the Guard (but not in the reserves) because you're being paid by the state.  The VA just prorates the amount you get each month by offsetting the number of days that you're at drill.
yeah, if the Corps were to be done with me i will be finding out this month or April and would have until November... i would obviously talk to a NG recruiter and try to accomplish a seemless transition from one branch to another. also, the VA prorates the #of days drilled per year the same way for all reserve components i believe, ive been doing it since 2011

Recruiter lied to me... told me that they only do this for the guard... that sonofabitch
Army Reserve, I get prorated.
I just wanted to reiterate that for him.
(03-01-2015, 12:05 PM)Deja Entendu Wrote: I just wanted to reiterate that for him.

Thank you for your service.
(03-01-2015, 10:01 AM)Cpl Verde Wrote:
(03-01-2015, 09:28 AM)damn03 Wrote: If I don't get selected for staff, I'm done with the Corps. The guard doesn't give a shit about me being a 10yr Sgt do they?... Because I will join the guard if the Marine Corps is done with me, I want the retirement and the healthcare

You should be good to go, I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure there is no cutoff for time in grade before they kick you out. There is a female E-5 in my unit that has been in the military since the 80's, she has broken service but she can't get promoted due to being old and injured so she can't do a PFT to get promoted.

Is this why I've seen E-4's walking around with gray hair?

Seriously, I've seen some of these guys and they're older than shit.

But it's funny you mention all the prior Marines in the Guard. I've heard the Guard, Army Reserve, Air National Guard and Navy Reserve are full of Marines.
OH YOU!

[Image: qVbUArb.gif?noredirect]

(03-02-2015, 02:06 PM)ah8176 Wrote:
(03-01-2015, 10:01 AM)Cpl Verde Wrote:

Is this why I've seen E-4's walking around with gray hair?

But it's funny you mention all the prior Marines in the Guard. I've heard the Guard, Army Reserve, Air National Guard and Navy Reserve are full of Marines.

Yes, there are a handful of old E-4s in my unit hell I'm 30 and have a 25 year old E-6 who I answer to (who comes to me for advice sometimes)
Peacetime Corps.

Oops. I mean, "This man's army."
OH YOU!

[Image: qVbUArb.gif?noredirect]

Another former Marine in the Guard checking in. My unit has ~120 soldiers and 20+ Marines.
Copecwby20 [07|Jun 08:43 AM]: it's just as spontaneous if they gal says "Hey, go run your dick under the faucet, I'm about to blow the shit out of you"
(03-03-2015, 02:05 PM)damn03 Wrote: Are you all braggy about it at drill, then hush hush about being in the NG outside of drill?
Nah, I haven't found my clique in the unit yet, and a lot of my coworkers are in other units throughout the state.
Copecwby20 [07|Jun 08:43 AM]: it's just as spontaneous if they gal says "Hey, go run your dick under the faucet, I'm about to blow the shit out of you"
(03-02-2015, 02:06 PM)ah8176 Wrote: Is this why I've seen E-4's walking around with gray hair?

^ Case in point lol.

Pros/Cons to the Guard? Heard a lot of Marines hate it
The Kool-Aid is a lie.
It's definitely way different from the Corps but it's not terrible. I went from a Marine ESB to a National Guard aviation unit. Preeety big difference, pretty big culture shock. We do our jobs at drill, and not a whole lot of other training. Almost my entire unit has at least one deployment under their belts. Their general soldiering is average, but their MOS proficiency is excellent. Our states MP company on the other hand is as close as we're going to get to infantry without going to PA. And then there are the transportation units and the like that are pretty bad.

It's all what you make it really.
Random; is there a quick/easy way to tell the difference between Army reserve and National Guard? We have some nasties that drill at Anacostia-Bolling in the same building as us, but never could figure out who they are (and don't care to Google).

Not hating on the Army/Guard, but these soldiers are terribad.
The Kool-Aid is a lie.
(03-03-2015, 02:44 PM)npr Wrote: Random; is there a quick/easy way to tell the difference between Army reserve and National Guard?  We have some nasties that drill at Anacostia-Bolling in the same building as us, but never could figure out who they are (and don't care to Google).  

Unit patch is about the only way.
(03-03-2015, 04:26 PM)Cpl Verde Wrote:
(03-03-2015, 02:44 PM)npr Wrote: Random; is there a quick/easy way to tell the difference between Army reserve and National Guard?  We have some nasties that drill at Anacostia-Bolling in the same building as us, but never could figure out who they are (and don't care to Google).  

Unit patch is about the only way.
This, but even that can be difficult. For example, I'm in an aviation regiment that belongs to the 38th ID out of Indiana. My regimental hq is in New York, and I'm in the Delaware National Guard...

Oh, and we wear the 38 ID patch.

They are D.C. National Guard.  I finally asked one of them the day I got out.  Dude was a Sgt and looked like a butterball.   
Who were you with? Also, that whole unit... just disgusting. Not even from a military viewpoint either.
The Kool-Aid is a lie.
(03-03-2015, 06:09 PM)npr Wrote: Who were you with?  Also, that whole unit...  just disgusting.  Not even from a military viewpoint either.

4th CAG.  You know me man.  You just never text me when drill comes around because you're afraid of beer  Tongue 
The best part about the guard is the promotions are laughably easy to get for a lot of MOSes. There's no testing, there's no board. If a slot pops up and its your time you get it. If I stayed in my old MOS and went in the National Guard I would be an E-6 by now instead of an E-4 dicking around with board bullshit. (Again)
^ Along with this, sometimes people in units never leave either though. My unit was maxed out on e-5 spots, and if I wanted one I was third or fourth on the list. If I wanted a e-5 slot I would have to leave my unit and go to a unit 4-5 hours away. Not worth it.

Side note: maybe I just don't understand the point of the guard vs reserves? What's up with people have 3 and 4 different MOSs? How much MOS credibility do these people have? Does it just not matter your primary MOS? Maybe this is just my first time seeing "careerists" who just switch MOSs to get promoted.... I dunno.
Yossarian [29|May 02:16 AM]: LITTLE BEAR IS THE BEST DOG EVER<br />Aaryq: There have been more than one day that I show up for work and can't tell if I'm still drunk or just hung over.