Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Ask a Marine Security Guard anything
Thx for all the responses. Also, while on the program how would you have access to uniform items? Like buying new cammies and such. Should I buy all brand new uniforms before I go to the school house?
Not unless your cammies are completely fucked. On Quantico they have a "cash sales" that sells things for the cheap which you should take advantage of for the big ticket items. Before you leave Quantico, ensure to buy things that you should expect to obtain within the next 3 years like: rank/service stripes/awards/ribbon stacks/etc. You can always order shit online too.
Just how anal are they about uniforms? 
ehhhh. When I checked in wearing alphas, I got a really basic/quick inspection. But I did show up during the weekend. They care more about you having all your uniform items, vice how it looks on you. Make sure your dress blue C/D are good to go since that's what you'll wear throughout the program.
(03-27-2015, 07:15 PM)Chinman Wrote: has anyone ever got a combat action ribbon while on the program? Is it possible?

In the present day, it is rare, for a few reasons:

1) In the combat zones like Iraq/Afghanistan, the MSGs are the absolutely *last* line of defense, within many, many, many layers. Things would have to degenerate to an Alamo-like level for anybody to get close enough for an MSG to need to engage them.

2) In a lot of places, your defensive positions are going to be you stashed up in a wallway, staring at a closed door. Not much to see.

3) Things have to get very bad for the Ambassador to authorize the use of deadly force for non-self-defense. Generally you'll use things like tear gas grenades, but you don't get CARs for throwing tear gas.

4) Saying that an incident was "combat" is a very political statement. In some countries, even if you were shot at and shot back, the State Department would prefer not to call it a combat action because of diplomatic reasons. Hence, no CAR.
There once was a young man named Nate
Who wanted to do something great
He went to a recruiter
Said "I'm good with computers"
Now he's checking IDs at the gate
Is there any hidden gems for posts? Such as places people don't usually choose but are actually pretty cool.
When I get asked this I tell everyone to consider attempting to put choices for the Balkans. Kosovo/Macedonia/Montenegro/Bulgaria/Albania. I would go back there for a fourth post if I could. I did one year in Kosovo, and the surrounding countries were awesome. We were the shit stain of Europe, so the command never bothered us, and the detachment sizes are small compared to the big detachments out there

I'm sure someone here can chime in about the other continents.

I do have a buddy in Kuala Lumpar (sp) who's loving it.
(03-30-2015, 02:37 AM)Korbrah Wrote: Is there any hidden gems for posts? Such as places people don't usually choose but are actually pretty cool.

The Baltics:

Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia.  

They might not be as unknown as they used to be, but they are small awesome countries and most of the Marine Corps has never heard of them (relative to say Finland/Norway/Sweden).  
On the MSG program is there kind of a general personality that you encounter amongst other MSG personnel, or is it proportional with the fleet in terms of motards, shitbags, etc.?
(03-31-2015, 04:03 AM)Korbrah Wrote: On the MSG program is there kind of a general personality that you encounter amongst other MSG personnel, or is it proportional with the fleet in terms of motards, shitbags, etc.?

There is/was the same folks you see in the fleet, but the proportions are different.  When I went on the program, it took a bit of doing to get the package in order and actually get orders cut to the schoolhouse.  Once we were there, there was something like 35% attrition out of the class. 

It did not eliminate shitbags or motards, but it ensured most of the folks who went out to post were able to check boxes and play the games.  You still had lazy fuckers, but they were generally not really stupid.  Your shitbirds may have been shitbirds, but they probably also could get stuff done when it mattered.  There were still a few special children who went out to post, but they were pretty rare and everyone knew who they were.  

Where it breaks down is over the course of the three year cycle.  Folks burn out (especially when we were way under strength) and so by the third post a lot of the decent Marines may become less motivated, and the shitbags stop giving any fucks. 

The problem kicked in when Benghazi happened and the Marine Corps decided to massively increase the size of MSG (when the program was already way under strength).   They pushed recruiting and dropped standards pretty heavily to get bodies out to post.  We had a Marine who showed up as a Corporal for his first post, who left 7 months later as a PFC having been NJP'ed twice...    I anticipate this not being a huge issue in the future though, especially as deployment opportunities go away.  (Hell, it may not even be an issue now)

So you have the same spectrum of folks you had in the fleet, but they have all managed to take additional steps and get themselves through a process that is not necessarily straightforward.  So your shitbags are probably going to be less shitty, or at least, they can play the part if they need to. 

The interesting dynamics come into play when you have guys who make great fleet Marines, but crappy MSG's.  I worked with one guy, a grunt, one of the distinguished graduates of the schoolhouse.  He was a PT stud, smart guy, amazing 0311...  not necessarily well suited for MSG. (I suspect the inverse is also true, but I don't know many amazing MSG's who were crappy in the fleet)  
^ From what I observed that seems to be the common theme with all SDA Marines (amazing [insert SDA billet] but crappy Marine or vice versa).
I still have about 4 months left on this SDA, and the burnout feel is strong in this one. Though I have a great collat so I don't mind doing the work.
Dang I'm so excited to check into the schoolhouse in May. I'm just worried that they'll send me back for something stupid like paperwork or something. 35 % attrition rate? For what?
A whole bunch of reasons get people dropped at the school house, dude. Can't pass the initial PFT/CFT, can't pass the academic portions like tests, they get dropped on the board if they don't seem fit for the program (financial, psychological, drinking reasons etc.)
Or they generally just suck. The school house is extremely fucking easy, seriously, but some knuckle draggers still slide into the program.
Oh ok thanks. Is there any chance of progressing in mcmap or doing a Mai course? I know it's a long shot
There is a way to progress, but not after jumping through a lot of hoops for your detachment to get it approved from region. Mainly any kind of training that will really benefit the Marines will be halted if the detachment isn't PME complete or other issues that i'm sure you can think of. It also comes down to not injuring Marines.

Since losing 1 Marine out on post can greatly effect the T/O and the amount of duty you'll stand by losing that one Marine, some Regions are hesistant about that.

(But if you're in region 7, they don't care about safety, and tell you to run PFT/CFT's out in town at a high threat post..real smart)
(04-01-2015, 04:02 PM)Slinky Wizard Wrote: How many regions are there? And what nations (areas) compose these regions?

I'll send you a link from work tomorrow.  
What if my MOS is considered a critical MOS?
Nothing saying no critical MOS bubbas
The wikipedia page for MSG lists accurate info on where the regions are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event. That said, there are some fuckers in the world that just need to be shot. There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim."
Later on tonight, when I get to work, I'll show you all the gayness that awaits you futurs MSGs and how the command has lost faith in Marines doing simple things like loading/downloading duty carry weapons.
That post makes me want to join the USPHS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event. That said, there are some fuckers in the world that just need to be shot. There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim."
Stand by..making photo copies to post up

Alright.. here's the stupidty level of MSG monthly requierments. Each month you've gotta write out. verbatim, the procedures for all 3 weapons systems we have (m9, m870, m4) Then your detcomdr will test you out, verbally and verbatim, on all the procedures

Then you need to explain MARCH, immediate/remedial action for all weapons, then do a diss&ass followed by a functions check of each weapon. I'm glad i'm done with it in two months. Too much dumb boots fucking up the program. I didn't feel like editing all the photos to take out my info, but here's a taste of 1/3 of it all.

[Image: J78OQz6.png?1]

[Image: U3O3Kx7.png?1]

[Image: zLYn24l.png?1]
Do the Det Commanders take shit like that seriously or do they realize how gay it is?
Word across Group is that detcomdrs take it seriously,. During my last SAI, the IO actually quized everyone on it verbally. One by one. So I guess detcomdrs know they can catch a lot of heat if the watch standers don't know what to do.

My detcomdr enforces it, but he thinks it's as gay as aids. I just laugh at this shit. It's comical now.