Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Ask a Marine Security Guard anything
That was a good story, captured the thoughts of probably all the enlisted Marines at the post when meeting bureaucrats.
(03-09-2015, 02:25 PM)npr Wrote: Window, the more I read the more I'm surprised you ever enlisted in the Marines.  You're way too smart for this

You have met me, I am much dumber in person!  In all seriousness, there are lots of folks who are far smarter than I am who enlisted.  I met a few of them on MSG. 

For an example: See Belt's awesome post ^^^
I check into the school house in May. I need new uniforms, should I buy them before I get to the school house? Or wait until I get there? I heard there's a much bigger uniform allowance when you get on the program
Fuck that dog and pony shit. Its all staged, why even do it? For those of you who've been, did high level civilian leadership visiting you in country motivate you? Genuine question. With the cammies thing; what would've happened if you just showed up in suits anyway? Did that order come from the DoS rep that was speaking with you, or from higher up?
Victim of the negative karma bugger
(03-14-2015, 01:54 AM)Chinman Wrote: I check into the school house in May. I need new uniforms, should I buy them before I get to the school house? Or wait until I get there? I heard there's a much bigger uniform allowance when you get on the program

To not be that guy who doesn't show up with all his uniform items, buy them all before you show up. Why would you report to a formal school without the required uniforms? 

And the yearly clothing allowance is the same. They give you an abundance of dress blue shit to stand post in, and give you something like $1200 to buy civilian DOS attire/suits/suitcases/and other gay shit.
(03-09-2015, 04:19 PM)Beltayn Wrote: Story time...

As an MSG in Saudi Arabia, we had a visit from SecDef Gates, along with Marine Lt Gen Kelly (the highest ranking officer to have lost a son KIA).

We arrive at the location, a massive and obnoxiously ostentatious “hotel” (though no guests ever stayed there; it was used exclusively for hosting foreign dignitaries) about half an hour prior to our meeting, and are informed by some Department of State weenie that our appointment was going to be delayed because "The Secretary is taking a nap".  God it must be awesome to be powerful.

I would advise you to pay attention to WindowLicker post up thread about MSGs not actually understanding what is going on in many circumstances.

As an FSO I can tell you with almost a hundred percent certainity, having work Cabinet visits and being on the edges of Sec Def visits, that that person was a DoD civilian of some sort. Other than maybe a very senior POLAD, Sec Def does not travel with State people because we don't have the manpower. Anyone from State who was working the visit would have been someone from that Post who would know how Saudi society works and certainly would not be setting up photos for the Sec Def as that would be his team's job.
mr. i'm not telling is telling with almost a hundred percent certainty eh?
The Kool-Aid is a lie.
(03-15-2015, 04:15 AM)npr Wrote: mr. i'm not telling is telling with almost a hundred percent certainty eh?

I would believe him.  Belt's story is written amazingly well for entertainment purposes (and as illustrative vignette about life as an MSG), but he took a few creative liberties to help with the structure and the appeal to the target audience.  For example SgtMaj Kent was actually not that tall, maybe 5' 7-8"ish.    That said, I am pretty sure that in reality, Belt can successfully differentiate between folk's parent agencies. 

This does get back to one of the more interesting aspects of being an MSG: 

As an MSG, you report to the RSO, but you also exist a bit outside the fabric of the embassy chain of command.  Folks you hang out with will vary, but if you are not a complete idiot, you can generally hang out with everyone from the Pol/Econ chief, all the way down to the interns (although usually not at the same time).  This of course depends on the personalities involved, but you can see way more of the community than anyone who is actually in the community does. 
(03-15-2015, 03:24 AM)i Wrote:

As an MSG in Saudi Arabia, we had a visit from SecDef Gates, along with Marine Lt Gen Kelly (the highest ranking officer to have lost a son KIA).

We arrive at the location, a massive and obnoxiously ostentatious “hotel” (though no guests ever stayed there; it was used exclusively for hosting foreign dignitaries) about half an hour prior to our meeting, and are informed by some Department of State weenie that our appointment was going to be delayed because "The Secretary is taking a nap".  God it must be awesome to be powerful.

I would advise you to pay attention to WindowLicker post up thread about MSGs not actually understanding what is going on in many circumstances.

As an FSO I can tell you with almost a hundred percent certainity, having work Cabinet visits and being on the edges of Sec Def visits, that that person was a DoD civilian of some sort. Other than maybe a very senior POLAD, Sec Def does not travel with State people because we don't have the manpower. Anyone from State who was working the visit would have been someone from that Post who would know how Saudi society works and certainly would not be setting up photos for the Sec Def as that would be his team's job.

I wrote the story "smoke-pit style", for Marine consumption, and also glossed over certain distinctions for OPSEC reasons.

However, in this case you are actually one hundred percent wrong. The individual in the portion you quoted actually was, in fact, DOS, specifically a Pol-Econ Officer from the embassy. I knew him. He came to our parties. I'm still friends with him on facebook.
For this SecDef visit he was the DOS liason to the SecDef's team.
There once was a young man named Nate
Who wanted to do something great
He went to a recruiter
Said "I'm good with computers"
Now he's checking IDs at the gate
The pol-econ people can seriously be a hit-or-miss.
Good people, or completely useless people.
lololo And then he said to the sorority chick,

"Let's consummate our relationship baby, I'm gonna be deployed in four short years!"
(03-15-2015, 12:53 PM)Beltayn Wrote:
(03-15-2015, 03:24 AM)i Wrote:

I wrote the story "smoke-pit style", for Marine consumption, and also glossed over certain distinctions for OPSEC reasons.

However, in this case you are actually one hundred percent wrong. The individual in the portion you quoted actually was, in fact, DOS, specifically a Pol-Econ Officer from the embassy. I knew him. He came to our parties. I'm still friends with him on facebook.
For this SecDef visit he was the DOS liason to the SecDef's team.

I apologize then, from the sheer idiociy of what you described, it sounded like the guy came from washington with the Sec Def, not from Post.  State people don't travel from washington with cabinet officials and I would have assumed someone who was at Post would know how Saudi society worked.

The longer I have been in the foreign service, the more people I met that make me feel bad for not passing the foreign service test on multiple occasions.
I'm pretty happy that being an MSG has shown me how much i'd never want to work for the DOS, or work with a majority of the people that the DOS hire. However, there's good and bad employees, like everything else.
What're my chances of getting Kabul or Baghdad if I request those posts? I know it's a Marine Corps need basis but I figured no one wants to go there and I never got to go there.
(03-25-2015, 06:25 PM)Chinman Wrote: What're my chances of getting Kabul or Baghdad if I request those posts? I know it's a Marine Corps need basis but I figured no one wants to go there and I never got to go there.

out of the school house you have no say in were you go.
"Butt Sweat"-"Smells Like Victory"
(03-25-2015, 06:25 PM)Chinman Wrote: What're my chances of getting Kabul or Baghdad if I request those posts? I know it's a Marine Corps need basis but I figured no one wants to go there and I never got to go there.

I am not sure what the latest is, but for second and third posts they have had "wish lists" (which really are just that) in the past. 

In all honesty though, there are more than a few MSG's who want those posts.  Either they never deployed, or they want that tax free pay (protip: you make more in some of the other posts, even with the combat and tax bonuses factored in). 

A lot of it is needs of the Corps, and the Really important factor about how good a time you will have is who you are there with/under, not where you are located.* 

*some restrictions apply
(03-25-2015, 09:58 PM)WindowLicker Wrote:

I am not sure what the latest is, but for second and third posts they have had "wish lists" (which really are just that) in the past.
They still have "wish lists" were you pick 3 posts and 3 regions youd like to go to. I was in a shit hole for a first post where a lot of the guys before me got at least a region they had requested, while I just got sent to a little bit better shithole, and didnt get close to my "wish list". 
Lately I've been seeing a lot of the region commands giving Marines their first choice pick. They were reasonable picks. Not like, requesting to go to Switzerland or something similar.
(03-26-2015, 02:43 AM)BEAR Wrote: Lately I've been seeing a lot of the region commands giving Marines their first choice pick. They were reasonable picks. Not like, requesting to go to Switzerland or something similar.

Top 3 in the class got their choice of 1st posts when I graduated.  Is that still the case?  
Not when I went through back in 2012.
When I went through last year just the top student got a choice.
I kinda wish I went to that area. Only got sent east and thats it. (and one little deal in Mexico)
has anyone ever got a combat action ribbon while on the program? Is it possible?
I would assume if you got into a firefight with someone while standing post, they would qualify as an "armed combatant".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event. That said, there are some fuckers in the world that just need to be shot. There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim."
Yes. There have been MSG's in the past who have made contact with enemy combatants, and some have been given awards with "V" devices.

Look up the book Last Men Out. About Vietnam