Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Ask a Recruiter anything
I know of two. One I shipped to boot camp with.
ABACABB Reservist 02s are some of the biggest motards Except for SS 17 Aug 04:17
(03-04-2015, 09:33 PM)npr Wrote:
(03-04-2015, 05:12 PM)Slinky Wizard Wrote: Shouldn't you be finishing college and on your way to tbs like all te other guys who join the reserves say they will?
Someone should do a study to see how many actually
A) Apply and attend OCS
B) Actually take the commission
I did A, but didn't make it to B. I know of another few reservists who were in the same boat as me.

The quickest way to become an officer is to go in as one. Fuck that "well I'll join the reserves to do PLC!", like I did 7 years ago like an idiot.
A few years ago I cut my flexor tendon on right my pinky finger it won't go straight would that DQ me from enlisting?
(03-15-2015, 07:59 PM)Slinky Wizard Wrote: Yes..

Fuck ... Not even the reserves?
(03-15-2015, 10:03 PM)Slinky Wizard Wrote: Maybe the reserves.

Do yourself a favor and go talk to a recruiter.
Ok will do
What is a better/worse assignment: regular recruiting, prior service recruiting, or officer recruiting?
There once was a young man named Nate
Who wanted to do something great
He went to a recruiter
Said "I'm good with computers"
Now he's checking IDs at the gate
In that order from worst to best.
I don't know much about the PS recruiter mission but I know that the livelihoods of OSAs (officer recruiters) are not under the gun as far as a monthly mission letter in the same way that it is for regular recruiters. They look for quality over quantity, so imposing a numbers game wouldn't be very effective. This is why regular recruiters were always competing for an OSA position. They still have to work a lot of course but there is no dumb shit like "Billy stopped returning your calls, so you need another guy to send to MEPS and you better have another one yesterday. I know it's midnight but go AC WalMart. You can't go home until you have 4 contacts. Send pictures to me every 30 minutes so I know you didn't go home."

The OSA billet usually went to a black/Hispanic/Asian guy, for obvious reasons. When I was at the schoolhouse the only black guy in our class was immediately selected for OSA. All of my hate.
Officer recruiting is easy, especially when they just take all of our applicants with college Credits. Fucking assholes. They have taken 5 applicants from my rss alone this year.
How much do you "work" with an OSO?
The Kool-Aid is a lie.
You're actually competing against the OSO but everybody at the RS makes it sound like a positive relationship where you feed each other contracts. Nope. If that dude has college credit, he will talk to the OSO and if he's qualified, you'll lose him.

They had this incentive where a recruiter would supposedly get "points" on the monthly spreadsheet that was sent daily basically to call out recruiters who aren't making mission to everybody in the state. I never got those points. Even then they don't count as making mission so there isn't much incentive for doing so.

I signed up an in-shape dude with a bachelors who was a teacher when I was a boot recruiter, didn't know he had to go to the OSO. To make sure I didn't have to suffer to make mission for the entire month, I promptly did up his entire package and sent him to MEPS where he qualed. I get yelled at for it, but he wanted to be enlisted reserves and told the OSO he didn't want to be an officer. So I got a contract. Yay.
Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember having to sign something for the OSO saying I wanted to enlist.
The Kool-Aid is a lie.
It was a weird experience, that's for sure. It felt awkward doing up a package for a guy that was a year older than me lol. The same ticky tack salesman stuff wouldn't work on him, he knew the score.
How many college students and/or grads did you enlist? What were their fields of study and reasons?
The Kool-Aid is a lie.
When I decided to leave the officer program the OSO told me not to talk with an enlisted recruiter until he talked to me first. He gave me his blessing and reffered me to a recruiter he knew. I dont recall if it was something I had to sign or if it was a verbal agreement, but I basically had to assure the recruiter that I wouldnt drop from the DEP and go back to the OSO.
Victim of the negative karma bugger
(03-17-2015, 05:11 PM)npr Wrote: How many college students and/or grads did you enlist?  What were their fields of study and reasons?

It wasn't too terribly many, probably 30% of my contracts or so (grads). Maybe 10% were college students or had some college work done. The majors were really varied but I remember them being English, Economics, Biology, and a few others. Some of them actually went to University of Wisconsin but said they wanted to enlist anyway (reserves). Not too many college grads went the active route, I can only remember 1 that did.
Finishing my undergrad in June. I'm 1 year post-op VSG from stomach ulcers. How's it look for getting a commission with that bariatric surgery in my past? Was told by an AF recruiter it's a MEPS doc final decision. Anyone know anything about this? It isn't like gastric bypass or lapband, my anatomy is the same and I don't have to take meds my whole life. I'm only missing a piece of my stomach.
It would all depend on what the medical documents say when the recruiter sends in the paperwork for the doc to review. I wish I could give you a more specific answer. MEPS docs are straight civilians and they do whatever they want.

Edited out all that hoopla about enlisting. Just reread and realize you're trying to go the O route.
(03-17-2015, 07:19 PM)ABACABB Wrote: It would all depend on what the medical documents say when the recruiter sends in the paperwork for them to review. I wish I could give you a more specific answer. MEPS docs are straight civilians and they do whatever they want.
Thanks ABACABB. Hmmm... like what could my paperwork say? Essentially clear me of all limitations and that jazz? Doctor testimony and such? The recruiter told me my actual recruiter can send in my paperwork for a prelim. decision before I waste time at MEPS.
Yes, it is preferable to get it on paper that your condition has been reviewed by a doctor and a doctor's letter must state that it will not hamper you from physical activity in any way, shape, or form. The language has to be rather specific so I would recommend you get your recruiter's word on what the letter must say before you go in for an appointment. It can help your case, but won't guarantee entry.
(03-04-2015, 02:21 PM)Semper Scrotus Wrote:
(03-04-2015, 01:48 PM)B4L Wrote: Ive got 19 months to go!
18 months, 29 days and a wake up.

8.5 months to go, fuckers! 
Submitted my VSP today, hopefully it gets approved and I go on terminal June 1st.
I would like to thank recruiting for making it look like I have more years of experience in my PMOS than I really do. Need to qualify for that senior level pay nukka. 8)
So unless I have a disease I didn't know about, or I'm missing a kidney or something, chances are the doc isn't going to find anything DQable while I'm at MEPs. So is the general rule to go by "tell your recruiter you've never been sick in your life." so they don't have to send the doc any paperwork?

For example: I'm allergic to cats. It's no big deal. I'd rather not have to go to the doctor and get an expensive immunology test done because my recruiter "needs verification"
(03-30-2015, 07:52 AM)soup Wrote: So unless I have a disease I didn't know about, or I'm missing a kidney or something, chances are the doc isn't going to find anything DQable while I'm at MEPs. So is the general rule to go by "tell your recruiter you've never been sick in your life." so they don't have to send the doc any paperwork?

For example: I'm allergic to cats. It's no big deal. I'd rather not have to go to the doctor and get an expensive immunology test done because my recruiter "needs verification"

I would love if everyone I prescreened said "no" to every question on the 2807. But if you have a visible scar, burn, missing patch of hair, limp, etc, let your recruiter know about it. The doc will be looking for visible signs of injury/operation.