Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Ask a Recruiter anything
Our RS did moments of truth while the kids were on deck the day they were to ship. We knew the exact process the MEPS skaters would take them through so we were able to brief our kids pretty well.

There is another moment of truth during the first few days of boot camp as well.
During receiving week at boot camp, I don't remember too much about it as a recruit, but for San Diego it's in a giant audience room with big red walls where they basically encourage the recruits to fess up to anything not previously disclosed.

Like good recruiters we worked hard to coach guys before they shipped off to MCRD, just like we worked hard to coach them before they contracted at MEPS. To make sure they were good to go, we'd coach them, take them into the back office where the station commander was, and the station commander would grill him the same way MEPS/MCRD would.

Shipping mission (sending guys to boot camp who are already in the DEP) is even more important than contracting mission (signing guys up) and missing it is pretty much a guarantee your office will be treated like a pariah by the command for at least a month. So a recruiter can be a rock star and sign up 4 guys in a month, but that won't mean anything if those same guys don't get through the MoT within 12 months.
We're ahead of our time. Floating through...
The sky is falling down. This night belongs to you.
How often do kids not ship?
I had a few kids tell me they were going to do the french foreign legion thing. None of them ever did.

I had a kid who was surprised about cocaine in his piss test, He wanted to know how it got there. I told him it was because he did coke like an idiot.

The first non-shipper I had as the sncoic was a rockstar poolee, could do 25+ pullups and ran the 1.5 mile in 8:15 or so. I guess he decided he didnt want to go, so on ship day he went and did 1 pullup at MEPS. Made up some shitty excuse for not being able to do more than that. I made him cry in front of his mom and dad. He is currently talking tons of shit about the Marines and the recruiters and has been for 2 years now.

I had one guy freak out about the piss test on deck at meps. I got a call later in the morning asking where my applicant was. I said he was on deck. They told me right before he was to go in and pee in a cup, he said he felt sick and went to the bathroom. 30 minutes later he still had not turned up, and he called his recruiter who told him to get back to meps. Needless to say, he didnt enlist. Weird guy.

Kids not shipping at all wasn't too common, we would typically lose 5 in a year when we shipped about 65 total. Moving kids off their original ship day for various reasons was pretty common.
Not shipping wasn't a common thing for us either, usually something pretty bad had to go down for that to happen (be close to shipping or already at MCRD then not following through I mean). Usually the problem children who made it as far as the DEP discharged for being stupid well before then.

Recruiters are also rated on how many of their guys don't make it through the DEP or, the worst, MCRD. I'm proud to say that although I wasn't a numbers hero I never took one because I made it a point to train the bijesus out of them before they left. And to always be real, kids could sniff out a cheesy car salesman pretty easily. One even made honor grad, he was 23 years old but a PT god. I didn't get to fly out to see him though because mission.
We're ahead of our time. Floating through...
The sky is falling down. This night belongs to you.
We take a lot of attrition in DEP here because if you dont pass the IST in 90 days, your ass is gone. That said, we sre closed for FMAM already so we can afford it.

I got to have a conversation with the CO and RI shop about how they wont be getting extras from us now that they decided to up our female missiona fter we closed the years out with 3 extras. Fuck that, tell me to find them at the beginning of the year and when I do, let me enjoy just chilling out with 12 hour days, not 20 hours trying to get a grad female to say she will meet.

Meh, I also accidentally told an RI from district (our higher HQ, and some dude Id never seen) that Females arent worth the fucking effort. Ill just find reservists. bwahaha.
Yossarian [29|Sep 07:53 AM]: oh god. imagine a mustang seabee chaplain?!
I have the usual recruiting duty complaints. But my actual question is what can I do about an opportunist marine in my office. The first couple of months he was here he whined and complained about needing some one to go with him to show him the ropes on how to approach and talk to students, note I've only been here three months longer than him. I was made to 'help' him and that in turn hurt me because it took time out of my day to get my shit done. He also just happened to be put in charge of eppc and keeps the qualified applicants for himself and gives the shit to everyone else. Didn't realize it until after four months of him doing it. He books appointments on sundays when kids have to get driven need so he can fly through them and get home early. This guy is just shady, he's doing his best to drag everyone else down so he can look better, and practically lives in the bosses ass now. We make mission but some how end up getting our asses chewed over shit that I've been tracing back to him but can exactly prove it without him weaseling his way out with some excuse

Let me correct that, not what can I do about him but what can I do to not keep getting screwed over by him or his actions
E.A.S.

Arrow Favorite Saké: Gangi 雁木
Join the TL Clash of Clans
Been out since 80. My query is, if you are a Reservist, are you required to maintain a military haircut in case they decide to recall? Ms. Hitmans nephew looks like an Amish farmer, kind of wanted to haze him and his snowflake "battle buddies"..(He's Army).Dudes been out of boot maybe a year and is constantly shit posting about the "thank me for my service and how rough it is".
Vikings MC D37 Desert Racing
Desert Cycle Works 29 Palms
"Raising Grandchildren is Gods way of saying you shouldn't of had kids "
(03-13-2017, 08:38 AM)AKA_HITMAN Wrote: Been out since 80. My query is, if you are a Reservist, are you required to maintain a military haircut in case they decide to recall? Ms. Hitmans nephew looks like an Amish farmer, kind of wanted to haze him and his snowflake "battle buddies"..(He's Army).Dudes been out of boot maybe a year and is constantly shit posting about the "thank me for my service and how rough it is".

I don't think so, just as long as you show up to muster in regs. I know a few reservists and nasty girls that grow their hair out and then shave and/or get their haircut before they show up to drill. I know I grew my shit out when I ETS'd, but I also did IRR. 
Yowie on tater tot burritos: CombatWombat Ian old mate, that's an abomination and I want it 20 Jan 20:39

No, reservists are 'civilian' status when not activated. Just tell him he's an idiot.
You'll have to speak up, I'm not wearing any pants.

F18WrenchMonkey: NSF is grand master champion at being apathetic
When not in a pay status, shit don't count.
That won't stop I&I fucks from crying about "YOU NEED TO LOOK LIKE A MARINE TO DO THINGS HERE" if you have to come in when not on orders to arrange something.

It exists hooah side, too, sometimes.
Linguist buddy of mine was doing ROTC and went in to drop from the program after a month or so away from school. MSI refused to let him drop until he was within grooming standards, and also refused to let him leave and come back after going to a barber.
So he broke out the clippers and a disposable razor for my buddy.
They come with fire,they come with axes...Destroyers&usurpers,curse them. GALL:I hope you get run over by a dumptruck full of babydicks CORVUS:yoss hates&knows everything BAN724:I like how buttmad ppl get about Yoss except if you lie still&listen he is trying to make us all better debaters
(01-28-2017, 02:35 PM)LiferLance Wrote: We take a lot of attrition in DEP here because if you dont pass the IST in 90 days, your ass is gone. That said, we sre closed for FMAM already so we can afford it.

I got to have a conversation with the CO and RI shop about how they wont be getting extras from us now that they decided to up our female missiona fter we closed the years out with 3 extras. Fuck that, tell me to find them at the beginning of the year and when I do, let me enjoy just chilling out with 12 hour days, not 20 hours trying to get a grad female to say she will meet.

Meh, I also accidentally told an RI from district (our higher HQ, and some dude Id never seen) that Females arent worth the fucking effort. Ill just find reservists. bwahaha.

(03-12-2017, 11:25 AM)qwerty123 Wrote: I have the usual recruiting duty complaints.  But my actual question is what can I do about an opportunist marine in my office.  The first couple of months he was here he whined and complained about needing some one to go with him to show him the ropes on how to approach and talk to students, note I've only been here three months longer than him. I was made to 'help' him and that in turn hurt me because it took time out of my day to get my shit done.  He also just happened to be put in charge of eppc and keeps the qualified applicants for himself and gives the shit to everyone else. Didn't realize it until after four months of him doing it.  He books appointments on sundays when kids have to get driven need so he can fly through them and get home early.  This guy is just shady, he's doing his best to drag everyone else down so he can look better, and practically lives in the bosses ass now.  We make mission but some how end up getting our asses chewed over shit that I've been tracing back to him but can exactly prove it without him weaseling his way out with some excuse

Let me correct that, not what can I do about him but what can I do to not keep getting screwed over by him or his actions

Nothing. In fact boss man will like him and you'll be working for him whenever the current boss leaves. Welcome to recruiting duty!
im 21 years old and a few weeks ago i was driving home after a night out drinking and i got pulled over for speeding. The officer smelled the alcohol and i ended up getting a DUI for blowing a .09. Am i disqualified from joining the USMC, as an officer OR enlisted? i would like to enlist as an infantry or intelligence MOS. And if i can still join, would i have a better/quicker chance at getting in as an Enlisted or an officer (in terms of which would make me a more desirable candidate for the Marines?

*i forgot to mention i have not gone to court yet so there is a small chance i can get the charges dropped to something lesser than a DUI. but i'll have to wait and see
Put your energy into getting your case adjudicated and take responsibility for your self before you talk to a recruiter.
Be upfront with the recruiter when you do talk to one.
Year wait after the ink dries on your final court papers.
(only speaking from my own experience in the Marine Officer recruiting system): There's no chance you'll be accepted to an academy, NROTC, PLC, or OCS with a DUI in your record. All are hyper-competitive and near zero-fault.

Unless a war breaks out, I wouldn't even bother trying to become an officer directly. Your best bet would be to enlist and somehow make your way into MECEP.

(04-25-2017, 03:23 PM)AllDogsMatter Wrote: im 21 years old and a few weeks ago i was driving home after a night out drinking and i got pulled over for speeding. The officer smelled the alcohol and i ended up getting a DUI for blowing a .09. Am i disqualified from joining the USMC, as an officer OR enlisted? i would like to enlist as an infantry or intelligence MOS. And if i can still join, would i have a better/quicker chance at getting in as an Enlisted or an officer (in terms of which would make me a more desirable candidate for the Marines?

*i forgot to mention i have not gone to court yet so there is a small chance i can get the charges dropped to something lesser than a DUI. but i'll have to wait and see

Go find a recruiter and explain everything to him. If he's hurting bad enough he might be willing to call the prosecutor's office on your behalf. 

I got a couple of kids DUI cases dropped while on recruiting duty (only worked when the towns we're really small). He just has to ensure the paperwork doesn't say the case was dropped because of military service (or anything about the military, actually). 
How long does a recruiter save information on a potiential recruit who hasn´t done anything but the basic screening?

For example;
A kid got screened at the age of 17, but never moved forward with enlistment/never signed anything. Then the kid returns to the same recuiting station 2-3 years later, gets screened by a different recruiter, but forgets to admit something he has told his previous recruiter.

Will the new recruiter have all the information the kid originally submitted 2-3 years ago, or will there be no record of it?
Did you ever fuck a Poole and if so why?
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back.
Okay so I've posted a couple of times in this thread about joining, waivers and the such but I don't know what is going on anymore.

In 2013, I tried joining but required a waiver for a Domestic Assault and Battery with my mom. There was no conviction but did take a plea bargain. Recruiters, at the time, said it was possible so I took their word and PTed with the applicants and poolees for six months until they said the waiver could not be processed.

Okay. I was pissed off but I moved on. Went to school, find some volunteer work I was happy about, got accepted into a 4 year college, yadayda.

Now to the present. I basically moved on and was minding my own business until some guy stopped me in the street and said, "have you ever thought about joining the USMC?" I told him that I would like to but I tried, required a waiver and so on. So I thought that would be the end of that until he said, "I mean, our office works on waivers so we can definitely work on yours" even after explaining what kind of criminal charge it was.

Turns out it's legit but it's the same office that couldn't process the waiver. The new supervisor said that the previous recruiters were lazy and didn't want to work on waivers but recruiters now under a new supervisor can work on waivers. They even said that criminal waivers are easier to process compared to medical ones.

So what is going on here? I mean, I already talked and told them I'm interested. Now I'm going through the process and getting as much paperwork as I can for the waiver package.
(07-19-2017, 09:05 AM)Vahagn Wrote: Okay so I've posted a couple of times in this thread about joining, waivers and the such but I don't know what is going on anymore.

In 2013, I tried joining but required a waiver for a Domestic Assault and Battery with my mom. There was no conviction but did take a plea bargain. Recruiters, at the time, said it was possible so I took their word and PTed with the applicants and poolees for six months until they said the waiver could not be processed.

Okay. I was pissed off but I moved on. Went to school, find some volunteer work I was happy about, got accepted into a 4 year college, yadayda.

Now to the present. I basically moved on and was minding my own business until some guy stopped me in the street and said, "have you ever thought about joining the USMC?" I told him that I would like to but I tried, required a waiver and so on. So I thought that would be the end of that until he said, "I mean, our office works on waivers so we can definitely work on yours" even after explaining what kind of criminal charge it was.

Turns out it's legit but it's the same office that couldn't process the waiver. The new supervisor said that the previous recruiters were lazy and didn't want to work on waivers but recruiters now under a new supervisor can work on waivers. They even said that criminal waivers are easier to process compared to medical ones.

So what is going on here? I mean, I already talked and told them I'm interested. Now I'm going through the process and getting as much paperwork as I can for the waiver package.

The new recruiter either has no idea if he can get your waiver, or thinks he can. Regardless of what he believes, he's going to tell you that he's 100% sure it will go through and you'll get taken care of. Why wouldn't he? If he's wrong and you end up getting denied again (which you probably will), it doesn't mean jacking fucking shit to him. You're just some jackass who hit his mom. No one cares if you end up wasting your time again. 

(07-19-2017, 09:53 AM)soup Wrote:
(07-19-2017, 09:05 AM)Vahagn Wrote: Okay so I've posted a couple of times in this thread about joining, waivers and the such but I don't know what is going on anymore.

The new recruiter either has no idea if he can get your waiver, or thinks he can. Regardless of what he believes, he's going to tell you that he's 100% sure it will go through and you'll get taken care of. Why wouldn't he? If he's wrong and you end up getting denied again (which you probably will), it doesn't mean jacking fucking shit to him. You're just some jackass who hit his mom. No one cares if you end up wasting your time again. 

Yeah, I guess you're right. It's worth a shot though so we'll see. 

I guess that it was in the recruiter's best interest not to work on these types of waivers or ones that are almost impossible. 

Thanks. I guess.