Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Ask a Recruiter anything
(11-14-2016, 07:53 AM)0331 Wrote: Let's try this again, only cause I'm a friggin grunt... 

Went to the local PCS to drop off some liquor (late celebration gift) and I notice a buzzer/camera doohicky on the outside of the office. Just for the record the area they're in is a pretty affluent neighborhood and little in the way of crime besides petty shit. 

My questions are twofold 

1 is this becoming commonplace a buzzer /camera outside of the office? 

2 did most of y'all get a 96 Thursday (20161110)?

After the shooting in Tennessee they started thinking up all kind of ways we could fortify our office. Bulletproof glass, sand bags, door jammers, cameras, electronic doors were all mentioned. 

The only thing they ACTUALLY did was give us these little sticks that jam doors. They only worked with doors that opened IN (ours opened OUT) so our little terrorism safe guard got thrown in the supply closet. 

They decided against all of the other safety measures not because of cost but because of the "image" it would give to prospective applicants. 

(10-05-2016, 01:38 PM)ABACABB Wrote:
(10-05-2016, 01:28 PM)Broussard Wrote: The title of this thread should be changed to "Recruiters up I'm this mofo bitching bout dumb shit".

Or "Crying ass ladymen crying like ladymen".

Ain't not nobody asking y'all mofos not nuffin.

Well, the job sucks ass as 99% of former recruiters on this forum can attest.
Yea, so? 

Truth is recruiters are notorious for bitching. And the ones that do it here with their "woe is me isms" are only looking for attention.
Or they just don't have an outlet for venting their frustrations like most because they live under a microscope.

I get that Marines aren't normal if they aren't bitching but a lot of it is especially warranted in MCRC imo. I've been a civ for several years now. I can't say there was any other time in my life where I've seen grown men (NCOs and SNCOs no less) being punished like errant children at a boarding school or members of a chain gang for not hitting inflated prospecting and interview quotas. Intentional sleep deprivation before a 3 hour drive? Threatening to take somebody's rocker or stripe away for not meeting subjective records keeping standards? Taking a guy's chair away because he couldn't get some kid in for an interview? Imposing "coffee is for closers" rules ala Glengarry Glen Ross? Really?

Did you see the news about Wells Fargo in the last several months? They had a similar system going on and the executives are now getting legal fires lit under their asses. Justifiably so. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-23/wells-fargo-bankers-sue-over-firings-for-missing-account-quotas-itgbnpto ; http://www.wsj.com/articles/banking-regulator-imposes-new-restrictions-on-wells-fargo-1479519295 . They had employees making up names for accounts so they could go home earlier/not work unpaid overtime or ends threats of being fired. Hm. That sounds a lot like the pencil whipping recruiters do for monthly interview quotas so the command will leave them alone. Publicly denied, privately acknowledged of course. And god help you if you are caught.

When most duders prefer to be deployed to combat zones over recruiting, it really tells you something about the command environment. So, yeah. Fuck MCRC.
We're ahead of our time. Floating through...
The sky is falling down. This night belongs to you.
(11-19-2016, 08:56 AM)ABACABB Wrote: Or they just don't have an outlet for venting their frustrations like most because they live under a microscope.

I get that Marines aren't normal if they aren't bitching but a lot of it is especially warranted in MCRC imo. I've been a civ for several years now. I can't say there was any other time in my life where I've seen grown men (NCOs and SNCOs no less) being punished like errant children at a boarding school or members of a chain gang for not hitting inflated prospecting and interview quotas. Intentional sleep deprivation before a 3 hour drive? Threatening to take somebody's rocker or stripe away for not meeting subjective records keeping standards? Taking a guy's chair away because he couldn't get some kid in for an interview? Imposing "coffee is for closers" rules ala Glengarry Glen Ross? Really?

Did you see the news about Wells Fargo in the last several months? They had a similar system going on and the executives are now getting legal fires lit under their asses. Justifiably so. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-23/wells-fargo-bankers-sue-over-firings-for-missing-account-quotas-itgbnpto ; http://www.wsj.com/articles/banking-regulator-imposes-new-restrictions-on-wells-fargo-1479519295 . They had employees making up names for accounts so they could go home earlier/not work unpaid overtime or ends threats of being fired. Hm. That sounds a lot like the pencil whipping recruiters do for monthly interview quotas so the command will leave them alone. Publicly denied, privately acknowledged of course. And god help you if you are caught.

When most duders prefer to be deployed to combat zones over recruiting, it really tells you something about the command environment. So, yeah. Fuck MCRC.

MCRC confirmed worse than boarding school, mate. We didn't have it all that bad!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a lot of bitching.<br /><br />- The Tao of Wombat
Ha maybe. I heard one suggestion before about outsourcing military recruiting to civilians (not just USMC, but the other branches as well). Most people commenting took issue with the fact that service members wouldn't represent their respective branches which would be kinda weird. But really I think it came down to not being able to treat civilians like enlisted recruiters. A boss decides to "talk at" him for 2 hours in the morning telling him what he's doing wrong without telling him how to do it right? Death drives/pain drives? 90 hour work weeks for no extra pay? Yeah, Joe Civilian would quit in a week, word would spread, and nobody would apply to work there.
(11-20-2016, 08:27 AM)ABACABB Wrote: Ha maybe. I heard one suggestion before about outsourcing military recruiting to civilians (not just USMC, but the other branches as well). Most people commenting took issue with the fact that service members wouldn't represent their respective branches which would be kinda weird. But really I think it came down to not being able to treat civilians like enlisted recruiters. A boss decides to "talk at" him for 2 hours in the morning telling him what he's doing wrong without telling him how to do it right? Death drives/pain drives? 90 hour work weeks for no extra pay? Yeah, Joe Civilian would quit in a week, word would spread, and nobody would apply to work there.

We run ours like that. Seems to work.

I can't tell you much, cos I went through the system a bit before they started doing it, but it's kinda a joint project, about half-half split between serving bodies - manning the front desk in uniform, answering questions, being the face - and a contract with a proper recruiting agency who handle the testing and phone calls and scheduling and shit. There's some public service bodies as well, cos I think the same contractor does it for them.

I can't remember why they set it up that way. I THINK it's cos they figured out that specialized full-time recruiters, who spend their whole time doing nothing BUT finding bodies to fill jobs in a shitton of industries, might be better at it than the bloke pulled off his normal job and told to figure it out. Probably some of it was to free up people too.

Our recruiting process is a bit different than yours, see. They want your school results and resume - some jobs want you to have certain backgrounds, and you can cut down on training time sometimes if a recruit's already qualified in the civvy world for the job they want when he gets to you...if you've got a trained sparkie, where the fuck else do you put him except in a workshop? - and an interview and all kinds of funky shit before they get into ASVAB-type testing. The contractor figures that bit out instead of asking Cpl Numbnuts to do it all.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a lot of bitching.<br /><br />- The Tao of Wombat
I can definitely see some kind of hybrid system being effective. 50% of the battle is trying to accomplish way more stuff than one person should be handling and never really getting it all done. The other 50% of that is learning a completely different job that most will never do after their 3 year stint is up so only the few who actually want to be there are really effective. Honestly, very few career military types have the specific personality traits that would make them good salesmen. There's no reason to pretend like everybody should be good at everything because the real world doesn't work like that.

On the other hand the U.S. military requires way more manpower and most get out after their first enlistment. The Aussie military is smaller, probably has better retention (assumption here), and the entire force probably isn't in a state of constant turnover. I'm sure that makes a big difference.

I kind of liked how the Army did business next door. There was one guy who sucked at admin but was great at talking to people so he basically interviewed people the whole time. There was one who sucked at people but was great at admin. There was another who wasn't really good at both but was a runner, another who ran station numbers, etc. They leveraged the strengths of all their people and avoided putting them in positions they weren't individually suited for - it was common sense. Everybody had their own "lane" they were responsible for and the office ran like a well oiled machine. The mission was allocated per office rather than per recruiter too. This prevented situations where Sgt Smoothtalker, who sucked at paperwork, would be the big dick pipe swinger because he could sell ice to an eskimo while Sgt Documents was treated like the office pariah because he couldn't sign up as many bodies despite working just as hard as Smoothtalker. I'm rambling but yeah.
(11-20-2016, 04:43 PM)ABACABB Wrote: I can definitely see some kind of hybrid system being effective. 50% of the battle is trying to accomplish way more stuff than one person should be handling and never really getting it all done. The other 50% of that is learning a completely different job that most will never do after their 3 year stint is up so only the few who actually want to be there are really effective. Honestly, very few career military types have the specific personality traits that would make them good salesmen. There's no reason to pretend like everybody should be good at everything because the real world doesn't work like that.

On the other hand the U.S. military requires way more manpower and most get out after their first enlistment. The Aussie military is smaller, probably has better retention (assumption here), and the entire force probably isn't in a state of constant turnover. I'm sure that makes a big difference.

I kind of liked how the Army did business next door. There was one guy who sucked at admin but was great at talking to people so he basically interviewed people the whole time. There was one who sucked at people but was great at admin. There was another who wasn't really good at both but was a runner, another who ran station numbers, etc. They leveraged the strengths of all their people and avoided putting them in positions they weren't individually suited for - it was common sense. Everybody had their own "lane" they were responsible for and the office ran like a well oiled machine. The mission was allocated per office rather than per recruiter too. This prevented situations where Sgt Smoothtalker, who sucked at paperwork, would be the big dick pipe swinger because he could sell ice to an eskimo while Sgt Documents was treated like the office pariah because he couldn't sign up as many bodies despite working just as hard as Smoothtalker. I'm rambling but yeah.

Yeah, how we've figured it out wouldn't work that great for you. You need it on a way bigger scale than we do, and you'd be duplicating everything three or four times because recruiting's not a joint-service thing for you - over here it is, there's just the one website that handles all three. You can put in your choices and have two of them be army but the third be navy, or mix up so that two are enlisted but you're also looking at officer stuff, and DFR just rolls with it cos it's all the same system underneath.

Retention depends what's going on outside! The contracts work a bit different too, see - you sign on and you've got an obligation...but after you've finished your IMPS/ROSO time (could be one year, could be four, could be ten; depends on the job, but as a rule the longer it took them to train you the more time they want, and if you change jobs your timer starts again) it's a bit more flexible. As long as you haven't got outstanding obligations, and you've given them enough warning to get your shit together, you can stay in or walk away or whatever the fuck you want. Open-ended service.

Of course, the flipside of that is that they can sack you if you're retarded, but you can't have everything.

How would you set it up, if you had your way? You're god now, make it work...what changes?
Honestly, with all the contracting services the DOD has it does strike me as odd there isn't a military POC to answer basic questions about the military life, requirements, goals and a civilian contractor to cold-calling, run paperwork, recruiting and the eventual signing process.
OH YOU!

[Image: qVbUArb.gif?noredirect]

So how's recruiting? Is it getting tougher to recruit or you guys are still getting a surplus in applicants? 
Surplus in applicants? I just got off the duty, and we had far fewer than we needed.
The MCRC formula is that when missions are low (downsizing, peacetime, etc) standards go up so that finding a qualified applicant is like finding a needle in a haystack. That's how it was when I was on. When missions are high (war) standards decrease but you have to find more bodies. And even when you made mission either way, the command wants you to write more guys so the highers can look good for promotion when compared to their peers. There's no such thing as an easy recruiting tour.
I've been hearing mixed things: That it's getting easier to join versus its still not. I tried joining back in 2013/14 but required a criminal waiver. Story is, worked my ass off going to PT drills, got rejected, sucked, got over it, gained weight, got an associates from CC, and I'm a volunteer firefighter.

Lately I've been thinking about trying again. Maybe.
Criminal waiver for what? Felony or misdemeanor?
(11-25-2016, 04:39 AM)Broussard Wrote: Criminal waiver for what? Felony or misdemeanor?

It was a domestic violence misdemeanor but dismissed per completion of anger management (yes, I know it's still considered a "conviction" according to the military). This was 7 years ago and it was a pretty bad argument and fight with my mom. If it helps, I had no misdemeanors and felonies afterwards (except one speeding ticket) and things are ok with my mom. It was a shitty situation for all of us. 
MCRC doesn't like domestic violence. Maybe try again after Trump nukes Canada.
(11-25-2016, 07:02 PM)Broussard Wrote: MCRC doesn't like domestic violence. Maybe try again after Trump nukes Canada.

*fingers-crossed*
What are some of the stupidest reasons you guys have gotten as a reason to back out from signing up?
One guy was sold but his parents took 2.5 hours of convincing on their front porch. Fast forward almost a year later, he didn't want to leave for boot camp early after another kid flaked, so he protested by having pot brownies a week before we had to ship somebody. I wish I was joking.

Another decided he wanted to join the French Foreign Legion instead after watching some dumb documentary about it. Even after he was told it's just a regular unit in the French Army, their salaries and collective reputation are poor, and he would have to fly to France on his own dime to apply, nope, he was dead set on going. I don't know what happened to him but if he was like the countless other kids I saw with delusions of grandeur, he probably stayed home.
I take it the pot brownie kid never became a Marine?
Hahah nope. In DEP drug use is the kiss of death for a prospective military career.
Is there any legal ramifications that come out of that poolee?
Nope, the recruiter just pays for it in potentially missed mission. Legal ramifications would have been nice though, would have saved us a lot of wasted time. One guy (not mine, 0% boot camp attrition nukka) got as far as the Moment of Truth and lied about his recruiter telling him to hide in-DEP marijuana use. Obviously the guy just didn't want to be there and was looking for a ticket out. Well, he got it.

The worst part is these goobers, whether they get booted from boot or the DEP before they ship, will run their mouths off all around town about how the recruiter/office screwed them or was somehow the reason for their own failure. Toads like that poison communities and make the job harder.
I was surprised how many people couldn't keep their shit together during the moment of truth. Maybe I'm just a shitty person, who knows.

How much time have you wasted on a potential recruit who can't pass an in-office piss test? I remember when I was going through the enlistment process, there was a kid who had failed that like 6 or 7 times but kept coming back.
It's not that hard...guys are told countless times to keep their mouths shut and that everything they do is a scare tactic, but as a 17 or 18 year old who doesn't understand how the system works, I can see why somebody might get scared into confessing.

Wasted quite a bit of time on that as well...practically everybody in southwestern Wisconsin smokes so there were quite a few times where we spent all morning finishing and perfecting some dude's package so he could go to MEPS to contract, only for him to come in and piss hot - which left us scrambling to find some other guy to throw down there in his place. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200, see you again in 45 days.
What is the Moment of Truth? I can sort of guess it's them trying to get you to own up to shit, but when does it happen? Before bootcamp begins? During?