Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Ask a Recruiter anything
HQMC is fully aware. That's why they FORCE so many to go in the duty by giving Marines an ultimatum.
It's because hqmc prioritizes mission accomplishment over troop welfare.
[Image: dpo8auk.gif]

(05-06-2016, 02:33 PM)NSFgirl Wrote: You're a terrible person, wongtastic.
The basics of it can be shown by what happened to me.
I was in marriage counseling because of issues my wife and I started having while I was deployed, basically my family really treated her like shit and I took the wrong side, and also dealing with a few health issues as well. I was shown the hsst message, and it says any marine who cant go to recruit for medical or mental issues, even if they are temporary, will be med boarded and kicked out. HQMC knows this job sucks, they even do their best to make it suck more, stupid stamdards changes that dont do shit (tattoos, body weight bs composition, no picking a job, just a rpugh program, no bonuses, no incentives at all...). The qhole systematic recruiting process dosent work for shit, takes hours or admin time, and just sucks. The successful recruiters work 14 or more hours a day, and wish they could get hurt bad enough to rate convo leave, but if they take it, their team gets to make up their objectives while they are out.

Oh, I also heard this gem yesterday "I need time to go to mental health, ive really started having problems with my depression again." "Ok, just dont miss your objectives and have 3 for tomorrow and you can go."
Yossarian [29|Sep 07:53 AM]: oh god. imagine a mustang seabee chaplain?!
Like I said: seems like something that needs to be brought to a Congressman.

Just like anything else related to government, the only way things get changed is a big media stink and making it in the interest of the people in power to stop it. Not saying you're the one to blow the whistle, but the moment a recruiter blows his brains out and leaves a suicide note addressed to CNN talking about the abhorrent conditions. shit will go down.

No elected representative is going to accept "Feeling suicidal? Do this unnecessarily shitty job anyways, or get kicked out of your support system."

Yeah, yeah. Yeah. Thats why the Army works 7-5 and one weekend each month. They had something like 200 recruiters kill themselves and the stibk made it better.

The big problem we have as USMC is the useless fucks who come here to finally get promoted and then they stay as a 12 because they suck at the fleet. Those guys hide behind regs and obsess ove stats and numbers. Like, who gives a fuck if I enlist 45 guys who score yoss level on the math section, they dont want arty or fdc, they wanna drive fucking trucks.
(08-18-2016, 09:42 PM)soup Wrote: If it's basically a meme at this point that recruiting duty is the absolute worst posting in the entire Marine Corps, than why hasn't this news reached HQMC? Or are they well aware, and simply do not give a fraction of a shit?

This sounds like something that needs to be brought to the attention a Congressman.

Oh they know. It's just that, nobody cares. Even when the media catches wind of it, commands pretty much threaten to light a fire under anyone's ass who speaks up. The USMC is very hardnosed about work ethic as a cultural thing and making a media stink about it is looked down upon. The fact that it sucks isn't a secret which is why so many fleet Marines try to dodge it (often unsuccessfully). Google "Marine recruiter death drive" or "Army recruiter Houston suicide" and check it out. The Houston suicides is exactly why Army recruiters worked 9 to 5 for years (I heard this is reversing again now that everybody kinda forgot about it). It's been like this even in the 90s, as this comment from thisainthell confirms:

Quote:See, this is exactly what I was thinking, too. Not sure how much the Army has changed since I retired in ’05 but when I was in during the 90’s, NOBODY wanted recruiter duty.
Recruiting was then thought of as a career killer and stories of 16 hour days, 7 day weeks, months with no time off and being threatened with all manner of harm for failing to “make mission” (i.e. sign up the sufficient number of recruits) was enough to drive any self-respecting NCO away from recruiting.
Stories of divorce, depression, even suicide among recruiters were legendary. And now all you have to do to get out of it is get a visible tattoo? Great, I know where I’m going on my lunch break, down to Bragg Blvd….

This here Reddit post summarizes what it's like to be a recruiter very well Big Grin :

Quote:Just finished recruiting duty 5 months ago. I could spend the next 6 hours typing out this reply, but I only have the patience for 6 minutes, so here it is.

It's a hurt locker of emotions, you're riding the emotional roller coaster for 36 months. Extreme stress, your career rests on the shoulders of little 18 year old "Johnny or Susie" following through with their commitment...that doesn't always happen..and you are always responsible.

It's 36, one month long deployments. It's going from hero to zero every month when you rite 3 contracts and feel like the man, and then the 1st rolls around and you gotta pay rent again. Rent is always due mother fucker... Pay the man, or get the fuck out.

You're career is held hostage by your production. In the fleet, you can skate by with being an average worker, get lost in the shuffle... Show up, put in an honest day's work and go home by 1630. Not here, you are working 0800-2300 6 days a week, tireless hours, 50-70 phone calls a day, high school visits, appointments, always having appointments... Your fit rep is tied to your success, sounds simple right? Wrong.

It's quality over quantity, that's great...you found two guys that want to enlist...too bad Gunny is looking for 2 female Alphas (50 or above on the asvab) that means you need to keep looking...and mission day is next week. Get your kids on deck or stand in front of the CO and explain your incompetence.

Oh, you found two females? Congratulations, they are both disqualified because one used an inhaler when she was 12 and the other one has an unpaid parking ticket. You failed, you suck, you are worthless...

While all this is going on, you don't have time to PT, and the stress from your job is throwing your cortisone levels through the roof. You're diet consists of nicotine, energy drinks and whatever drive through is on the way to your 2 o'clock appointment. Yea, you're getting fat, and you're trying to sell the "worlds elite fighting force" to that little fucker who just ain't buying it because you look like a fat fuck busting out of your deltas or Charlie's (you'll be wearing those every day for the next 3 years.)

You're over weight, your career is in turmoil, your wife can't stand the long hours and you have zero patience because of all the stress you're under, you drink EVERY FUCKING night! Boom... You are now a Long Island ice tea of fucked up soup.

The list goes on man, I know this sounds all doom and gloom, but in reality it was fucking awesome. I was an extremely successful recruiter, I became the SNCOIC of my sub station and left as a SSGT.

If you are willing to put in the hours, and the work and be willing to listen to 99 "no's" just to find that 1 "yes" you are going to make it. Persistence...keep moving forward.... Make mission consistently and keep your dick out of the DEP ( don't fuck high school girls) and you will be alright. Good luck man!
We're ahead of our time. Floating through...
The sky is falling down. This night belongs to you.
We had a recruiter in my RS commit suicide a year before I got there. Dude got in his gov and told one of the other recruiters he was going shoe shopping. He was found in the mall parking lot that night with a gun in his hand and bullet in his head. The RS didn't go out of its way to help recruiters deal with their mental issues, they banned guns in govs.

I never understood people being suicidal on recruiting duty. I understand people deal with stress differently...I would have killed every 12 in my RS before making one tiny slit on my own wrist. The shit eventually comes to an end. Marines just need to keep in mind there is light at the end of the tunnel. And if job stress makes you suicidal it's best to just walk away. Fuck it, take the OTH discharge and LIVE your life.
Well, it's hard to live a life with an OTH. Kiss that GI Bill or any bennies goodbye, thanks for all your hard work, enjoy being treated like a high school grad in the job market. The RS literally has your career and livelihood by the family jewels and they know it.

It's one thing to just hate your enlistment, do your job halfass, and wait for that sweet DD-214 and Honorable Discharge. It's quite another to wake up everyday for years afraid of career/livelihood/marriage failure if you give anything less than 100% at a job you didn't want to do in the first place.
http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2005/09/recruiters200509
Haha I read that one when I was on the bag. Eye opening, to say the least.

Quote:Anger that recruiting is killing their careers, wrecking their home lives, and ultimately undermining the military services they say they dedicated their lives to is the main reason the recruiters gave for speaking out, though most did so on the condition of anonymity (the current recruiters for obvious reasons, and the former to protect their pensions and their colleagues still serving).

Yuuuup. Never got a negative eval until my second year out there. I mean, I still got promoted and could have reenlisted, but still. Career was perfect until that nonsense.
Im leaving the Corps because of recruiting.
I suspect many have. Make sure you have something lined up for when you leave (fed job a year before getting out, contractor at least 4 months before getting out). The pay on the outside isn't as great as young LCpls make it out to be, but you can't put a pricetag on being able to do things like go to the gym, having set work hours, or other massive quality-of-life differences. I know some defense companies really wanted to me to come be a recruiter for them...I said no because of phone/people PTSD, but as I understand it from my current company's recruiter, it's a sweet gig because people want you, not the other way around, so you spend more time vetting/screening people than chasing them down and begging them to join your organization. The last opening at my small ass company had like 1,500 applications for 1 position, so it was a cakewalk to fill. Can you imagine what it would be like if you got 1,500 EPPCs as a Marine recruiter? You'd never have to TC again lol. None of that "make misson, whadda ya got for me next month?" bullshit. Pay isn't bad either if you're a high performer.

Or just go to college, smoke dope, live life. Either way it gets way better. I always chuckle when some of my colleagues are fuming because they were talked down to by a boss or have to stay an extra 30 minutes to an hour to get something done. They ask why and I just reply "duder, trust me, you ain't seen nothing. There are way worse places to be." lol
Im going Army actually. Haha. I dropped a WO package for them, and worst case, I do have a contractor job lined up, I signed a conditional letter of intent last week.
30 days and i go on terminal. I am on 12 days of leave right now.

And i have a sweet sweet job already lined up, interviewed a couple weeks ago and accepted the offer today.
(08-22-2016, 05:55 AM)LiferLance Wrote: Im going Army actually. Haha. I dropped a WO package for them, and worst case, I do have a contractor job lined up, I signed a conditional letter of intent last week.

WOFT? 

It'll be interesting to see how Daniels handles recruiting duty.
You'll have to speak up, I'm not wearing any pants.

F18WrenchMonkey: NSF is grand master champion at being apathetic
Recruiting duty drove me out of the Marine Corps. I was an RS OpsO and RS XO for the last year of my career; even getting promoted to Capt didn't make me want to stay.

I saw many good Marines ruined by an unsuccessful tour on recruiting duty.

Unfortunately, I think the system and methodology ultimately works in the long run.

I remember FMAM sucked unbelievably...

I often wonder if I would gone to MCRD PISC instead of RS Close to Home if I would now be pinning on Colonel like my peers...

Grilled Cheese
Hmm, I wonder how many of those good Marines' careers were directly/indirectly ruined BY YOU.
Broussard...

I can genuinely say that my personality definitely contributed to my own career downfall. I never pretended to be a salesman; thus, I was terribly suited to be a sales manager (essentially what an RS OpsO and RS XO are supposed to be). I wasn't a combat arms MOS; maybe that's why I didn't buy into the whole eat my young mentality. I had successful tours as a platoon commander, I was just a shitty recruiting manager.

Let me be clear...I hated recruiting duty with every fiber of my being...my fault (in the eyes of big USMC) was that I sympathized too much with the great NCOs and genuinely good SNCOs I served with. I spent 3 years USN enlisted prior to going to USNA. I had a pretty good idea of how the game was played.

Never said I agreed with the game, only that it helped drive me outta the Corps. Kinda why I never went into the sales profession.

I HATED seeing good men ruined...The 365 days I spent at that RS were the worst job I ever had.

Grilled Cheese
"I'm addicted to placebos. I could quit, but it wouldn't make any difference." Steven Wright

"There is water at the bottom of the ocean." David Byrne ("Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads)
You did one year on recruiting?
I see it as a systematic issue with standards mostly. The USMC wants people that do not exist. Its depressing as hell to call 5000 EPPCs and have to crush all of them when a minor thing from childhood PDQs them. ADHD meds for a few weeks when your grades slipped because your first GF was DTF? PdQ. Counseling because your mom ODd, and tou want out of your shit town, PDQ, family history of drug abuse, mental issues from. I cant cpunt the number of things that just piss me off here. Wprst is when someone loses a job, wants to enlist to save themselves and a ticket DQs them. They want the job, and want to serve. That and the outdated ASVAB. Every school I cpver starts using calculators at 4th grade, kids cant pass that shit. Lol
(08-23-2016, 06:37 AM)B4L Wrote: You did one year on recruiting?

"The 365 days I spent  at that RS... "

This, maybe?
Yeah,...So?

The TL-ist formerly known as irradiator/irritator/irrigator, etc.
(08-23-2016, 09:32 AM)LocomotiveBreath Wrote: ,'
(08-23-2016, 06:37 AM)B4L Wrote: You did one year on recruiting?

Maybe a few months more...resigned my commission at the end of my initial service obligations (5 years upon commissioning)...6 months TBS, 3 months MOS school, 3 years overseas, the remainder on recruiting.
"I'm addicted to placebos. I could quit, but it wouldn't make any difference." Steven Wright

"There is water at the bottom of the ocean." David Byrne ("Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads)
Boot.
Damn. Broussard nailed it.