Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ask Max
(03-08-2015, 02:45 PM)irradiator Wrote: Any kind of, knowing what you know now, realistic ETA on the book, or is there really no way to estimate without jinxing it happening? I really am looking forward to receiving my (digital) copy.

Now that the site is stable I'm back into book mode, so hopefully within the next month or two--but it's hard to say. I'm bringing in another artist to help with the background watercolors.
(03-08-2015, 03:15 PM)Maximilian Wrote:
(03-08-2015, 02:45 PM)irradiator Wrote: Any kind of, knowing what you know now, realistic ETA on the book, or is there really no way to estimate without jinxing it happening? I really am looking forward to receiving my (digital) copy.

Now that the site is stable I'm back into book mode, so hopefully within the next month or two--but it's hard to say. I'm bringing in another artist to help with the background watercolors.

I understand that you don't rush the process and when it's done it's done, I was just inquiring into estimated timelines. Doesn't matter, when it's finished I'm sure we'll hear about it.
Yeah,...So?
Ya I'm talking about the book.
(03-08-2015, 03:42 PM)CPD Wrote: Ya I'm talking about the book.

Well the book is already written as a script and, as a visual person, most of it is already in my head. So like I already know what shots I want for the majority of it, at least in key parts.

I do make changes as I go. You can see in the pencils of the page I posted, the last panel was totally different until the 2nd pass.
You dodged my question. The people want to know Max.
In terms of the plot of your book, did you find it difficult turning the idea that you started with into a complete story?
Handicap: I blame Maggie entirely for my sudden bout of third person insanity.
maggie_h: Why's it my fault? 
F18WrenchMonkey: You're hot and Handi has a a weakness for hot women
Handicap: Yep. I'd let Magz see my boobs.

(03-09-2015, 05:46 AM)maggie_h Wrote: In terms of the plot of your book, did you find it difficult turning the idea that you started with into a complete story?

Not really, but I did rewrite it in the process. The original version started with Abe prior to enlisting and followed him through the experience, but I felt like it was too much to be able to actually tell and didn't focus on what I thought was important--which is Abe and Garcia's relationship.

The book now starts on a field op in Hawaii, which I thought was a good way to introduce the main characters and see their dynamics immediately.

This is admittedly my first full length screenplay, but since I already knew the ending and most of the major scenes before I even started typing, it flowed pretty quickly.
Will we ever see that first part?
Drunk Uncle PI
[quote dateline='1396713068']
Caught internet VD a few times.
[/quote]
(03-09-2015, 10:35 AM)Ballsy McGee Wrote: Will we ever see that first part?

When the book is released? O_o

Oh, do you mean the original one? Probably not, I worked in some of the pre-Marine Corps stuff into the story in a way that doesn't distract too much from the actual story. It was just a lot of exposition that didn't need to be there, plus a boot camp scene. I decided I didn't want a boot camp scene because... there's always a boot camp scene, and it's largely irrelevant to the greater Marine Corps (Iraq) experience.

There was a lot about it that I liked though. I always referred to it as "Abe's Odyssey," and it was mostly silent--going through the strangeness of MEPS and flying into San Diego, etc. I feel like that's a whole other book though, really.
A writing tip I read once went something like "don't give exposition on something the reader can reasonably assume."

You can reasonably assume Abe enlisted, went to MEPS, went to boot camp, etc; so it's not really worth showing.
(03-09-2015, 10:58 AM)Maximilian Wrote: There was a lot about it that I liked though. I always referred to it as "Abe's Odyssey," and it was mostly silent--going through the strangeness of MEPS and flying into San Diego, etc. I feel like that's a whole other book though, really.

[Img]cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/15700/header.jpg?t=1381865935[/img]
[Image: dpo8auk.gif]

(05-06-2016, 02:33 PM)NSFgirl Wrote: You're a terrible person, wongtastic.
Have you checked your privilege?
Drunk Uncle PI
[/quote]
(03-31-2015, 12:19 AM)Ballsy McGee Wrote: Have you checked your privilege?

I'm a cisgender heteronormative white-presenting male, of course.
Have you encountered writers block along the way?

How does it feel to be back on the BEST COAST?

amirite??
Drunk Uncle PI
[/quote]
(04-05-2015, 02:07 PM)maggie_h Wrote: Have you encountered writers block along the way?

Along which way?

(04-05-2015, 05:48 PM)Ballsy McGee Wrote: How does it feel to be back on the BEST COAST?

amirite??

It feels the best.

(04-05-2015, 06:49 PM)Slinky Wizard Wrote: If I backed you in the kickstarter and paid the $10 for international shipping, but return domestic before receiving the White Donkey Book, can I get my $10 back?

This is an interesting question I hadn't really thought about. I guess sure?
(04-06-2015, 11:29 AM)Maximilian Wrote:
(04-05-2015, 02:07 PM)maggie_h Wrote: Have you encountered writers block along the way?

Along which way?

During the writing of your book.

(04-06-2015, 11:36 AM)maggie_h Wrote:
(04-06-2015, 11:29 AM)Maximilian Wrote:

Along which way?

During the writing of your book.

I mean not really, which might sound weird but I had the story in my head for years. When it finally came down to writing it out, it flowed pretty naturally.
So when you visit bases and what not , do you still address people by rank or "sirs"? Or do you mostly "bro", "dude" and "man" it up?
(04-08-2015, 05:12 PM)V_C Wrote: So when you visit bases and what not , do you still address people by rank or "sirs"? Or do you mostly "bro", "dude" and "man" it up?

I do actually refer to people by rank simply out of respect for them, but it's more casual. Like "Hey Staff Sergeant what's going on man."
Does knowing someone like Mattis reads TL change your perspective on it? Like do you feel more self-conscious of the content in any way?
[Image: 55PMbQd.png]
(04-19-2015, 08:54 AM)Trash Boat Wrote: Does knowing someone like Mattis reads TL change your perspective on it? Like do you feel more self-conscious of the content in any way?

I hope to Bob that it does not.
Yeah,...So?
Max, you may have already posted this before, but what tablet do you use?
Denethor Wrote:[18|Feb 12:25 PM]: You're foreign, aren't you
(04-19-2015, 08:54 AM)Trash Boat Wrote: Does knowing someone like Mattis reads TL change your perspective on it? Like do you feel more self-conscious of the content in any way?

No, that would be silly! The whole Marine Corps reads it at this point.

(05-04-2015, 09:15 PM)Chomps Wrote: Max, you may have already posted this before, but what tablet do you use?

For drawing? I use a WACOM Cintiq 22HD, which I love. If you meant tablet computer, I guess an iPad?
I meant the Wacom. Wow, that is an expensive device. Your White Donkey art definitely looks good though.
Denethor Wrote:[18|Feb 12:25 PM]: You're foreign, aren't you