Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ask Max
(03-03-2015, 02:53 PM)Wongtastic Wrote: There are a butt loaf of black and white comics that don't follow the same color scheme. One does not necessitate the other.

(03-03-2015, 02:20 PM)Maximilian Wrote: Black and white is the art direction of Terminal Lance.
I was referring to the black and white theme of the forum, but he said that was the art direction.
OH YOU!

[Image: qVbUArb.gif?noredirect]

(03-03-2015, 04:59 PM)Slinky Wizard Wrote: I meant that my question was completely disregarded

I'd rather not get into it.
1.) Are you and Brad still involved in making more Into the Mangrove comics? 

2.) How's progress with The White Donkey?

3.) If Terminal Lance became a tv show, who would you have as your cast/voice actors?
Do you have plans to end terminal lance?
(03-04-2015, 05:40 AM)Vahagn Wrote: 1.) Are you and Brad still involved in making more Into the Mangrove comics? 

2.) How's progress with The White Donkey?

3.) If Terminal Lance became a tv show, who would you have as your cast/voice actors?

1. No, we made the mutual decision to stop making Mangrove. Neither of us could really pinpoint the direction it needed to go.

2. It was going really well until the website crashed, which caused me to lose over a week of work. I'm diving back in though and I'm hoping to power through the rest of it.

3. That's a tough question, because if I did make a TV show it wouldn't feature Abe and Garcia. I've actually already made a character bible and pilot script for a potential show I was working on a few years back, but it kind of fell through.

(03-04-2015, 07:12 AM)austinjking Wrote: Do you have plans to end terminal lance?

Yes, but not any time soon.
1: How do you prep your toons for the website and MCTimes at the same time? Is it time consuming or frustrating to have to come up with clean comics while also going balls out on the regular drops?

2: How many comics do you prep in advance of the daily release/MCTimes release?

3: When am I going to see your name in the animations/effects scroll of a movie?
Just a dumb grunt.
(03-04-2015, 10:11 AM)Handicap Wrote: 1: How do you prep your toons for the website and MCTimes at the same time? Is it time consuming or frustrating to have to come up with clean comics while also going balls out on the regular drops?

2: How many comics do you prep in advance of the daily release/MCTimes release?

3: When am I going to see your name in the animations/effects scroll of a movie?

1: I kind of enter a different mindset when doing comics for the Marine Times--in all honesty I think its a little more challenging because you have to be funny without having any curse words or the usual blog post to explain something in more detail. The TL comic and blog post are symbiotic at this point and part of the whole experience of the site side of things, which you don't get in the paper.

Myself and the editors of the Marine Times have had some colorful conversations on certain wordings I've tried to get away with.

2: None, I literally do comics the night before. This is a bad habit and I don't recommend anyone operate like this if you're trying to do a comic strip. It's generally a good practice to prepare 5 or 6 ahead of time, which I used to do, but I've been busy with the book and other things. The Marine Times staff have always been really cool about this, and it only becomes a problem when there's an issue with the comic strip (a typo, bad word, bad joke, etc). If they have to send the comic back for whatever reason for me to fix it, it creates a small panic as I try to get it back to them as soon as possible before they go to print.

3: You can find my name in the credits of Sabotage.
There is one small benefit of waiting until the last minute to do comic strips, and that is that I can be very reactive to current events. If something happens that is interesting in the news I can make a comic about it pretty much immediately.
Once you have the idea how long does it take you to actually complete the strip?
(03-06-2015, 06:53 PM)2mduffel Wrote: Once you have the idea how long does it take you to actually complete the strip?

Drawing the strip is the fastest part, which only takes 30-60 minutes. The drawing is simply the expression of what's in my head, it's the idea that is the hardest part, and planning the panels and writing.

(03-07-2015, 12:22 AM)Slinky Wizard Wrote: What's going to happen after the book?

A lot of really amazing things I can't talk about.
(03-07-2015, 01:53 PM)Maximilian Wrote:
(03-06-2015, 06:53 PM)2mduffel Wrote: Once you have the idea how long does it take you to actually complete the strip?

Drawing the strip is the fastest part, which only takes 30-60 minutes. The drawing is simply the expression of what's in my head, it's the idea that is the hardest part, and planning the panels and writing.

(03-07-2015, 12:22 AM)Slinky Wizard Wrote: What's going to happen after the book?

All y'all with talent amaze me...as I have none. Thanks for your work.
(03-07-2015, 01:57 PM)2mduffel Wrote:
(03-07-2015, 01:53 PM)Maximilian Wrote:

All y'all with talent amaze me...as I have none. Thanks for your work.

I recently saw a thing online, it was just a meme, but it was a picture of a graphic designer handing in a project. The caption was something like, "why should I pay you for this when it only took you 5 minutes?"

He replies, "Because I trained for years to be able to do this in 5 minutes."

I tend to think of most art as being 50% talent and 50% trained skill. I've been drawing since I was 5 years old, I have a bachelor of Fine Arts degree and it's my means of supporting myself.
I will have to remember that line the next time my boss tells me something similar when I solve a problem for him. Because your right...I've been training for years to do this. Thanks.
Do you have a particular process you follow when working on your book?
Handicap: I blame Maggie entirely for my sudden bout of third person insanity.
maggie_h: Why's it my fault? 
F18WrenchMonkey: You're hot and Handi has a a weakness for hot women
Handicap: Yep. I'd let Magz see my boobs.

(03-08-2015, 02:01 AM)maggie_h Wrote: Do you have a particular process you follow when working on your book?

The book has been a challenge and a half. The process of making (specifically) graphic novels is not particularly well-documented, so I basically had to develop my own process for it.

I wrote the script as a typical Hollywood format screenplay, and essentially approach it as a storyboard project for film. I go through each page and roughly block out what I think will be a comic book page, and then go through each beat and figure out how to visualize it on the page. Arranging the panels and speech bubbles in a way that directs the eye through correctly is important; it keeps the book flowing and doesn't confuse the reader.

Since I'm not working with any other artists, I can be very loose with the process. My rough sketches are more like very simple blocking and then I do two layers of pencils before I ink.

If you're curious, the screenplay is 144 pages long, which would be a 2:24 long movie. This has amounted to roughly 220 comic pages.
Would you rather fight 100 duck sized horses or 1 horse sized duck?
I usually do the initial blocking on my iPad. In this scene, Abe and Garcia have just flown into Portland on pre-deployment leave. Abe talks about texting his sister to pick them up at the airport, Garcia asks if she's hot. Abe tells him that, out of anyone in the world, he would let him fuck his sister. Garcia bursts into the Full House theme since it's such a touching moment.

[Image: Screen-Shot-2015-03-08-at-12.59.07-PM.png]

[Image: IMG_0518-768x1024.png]

[Image: Screen-Shot-2015-03-08-at-12.20.39-PM.png]

[Image: Screen-Shot-2015-03-08-at-12.21.01-PM.png]

[Image: Screen-Shot-2015-03-08-at-12.20.10-PM.png]

[Image: tumblr_njyellpNcD1r3cu6go1_400.gif]
(03-08-2015, 11:41 AM)Maximilian Wrote: I usually do the initial blocking on my iPad. In this scene, Abe and Garcia have just flown into Portland on pre-deployment leave. Abe talks about texting his sister to pick them up at the airport, Garcia asks if she's hot. Abe tells him that, out of anyone in the world, he would let him fuck his sister. Garcia bursts into the Full House theme since it's such a touching moment.

[Image: 3036kn8MZOwYYvdtmWA_rcVjyjlLUI6OEo0v3-aS...1808-h1074]
[Image: oix6JX_HhAosdx9A80a5-OhxPGHt79QXUzF4PoTj...1808-h1074]

[Image: ZpAOFtk3xzwU4uYeQGoTUtqVRiXA0RrxX75vMKt3...1808-h1074]

[Image: EDGhsZPo9DyMg7vH8isyldln5JE7x5EyHBEg5txd...1808-h1074]

[Image: tumblr_njyellpNcD1r3cu6go1_400.gif]

Did you just fail posting an image on your own site?
Yeah,...So?
Oops, fixed it.
That's kinda cool. If you don't know how stuff is made you just have no concept about where to even start with something (I looove the, "How It's Made," shows). Like who would guess you lay out the entire page before refinement? Not me. I never thought about it but I probly had a picture of going one panel at a time in my head (can you tell that I am not a cartoonist/artsy type?).
Yeah,...So?
(03-08-2015, 02:25 PM)irradiator Wrote: That's kinda cool. If you don't know how stuff is made you just have no concept about where to even start with something (I looove the, "How It's Made," shows). Like who would guess you lay out the entire page before refinement? Not me. I never thought about it but I probly had a picture of going one panel at a time in my head (can you tell that I am not a cartoonist/artsy type?).

You can't really do it like that because each panel leads into the next, and the speech bubbles go on top of all of them. You have to be mindful of how the book is laid out across the entire thing, not just panel to panel. Later in the book there are more complex scenes, including a "flip book" with about 10 pages of "animation."
Do you have a routine that you go through to motivate yourself to start off an idea or do you just get an idea and start drawing no matter where you're at?

Say you have momentum going off an idea, at what point do you stop? Do you ever look at some of the stuff you've done and just flat out not like it?
Any kind of, knowing what you know now, realistic ETA on the book, or is there really no way to estimate without jinxing it happening? I really am looking forward to receiving my (digital) copy.
Yeah,...So?
(03-08-2015, 02:37 PM)CPD Wrote: Do you have a routine that you go through to motivate yourself to start off an idea or do you just get an idea and start drawing no matter where you're at?

Say you have momentum going off an idea, at what point do you stop? Do you ever look at some of the stuff you've done and just flat out not like it?

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you referring to the book?