Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do DI's shave their heads?
Super boot as hell question but I am seriously thinking:

Why are DI's in the present day shaving their heads? Is it some sort of tradition that's been going on?

I know this has been happening since the late 90's up till now but why? Old school DI's either had the regulation cuts and when it was allowed, the flat top was at least to my dads friend.

But why? Is it because it's easier to clean for health reasons? To look moto?
It is fucking easy and cheap.

DI's have to keep a haircut looking fresh as hell, taking a BIC to it every other day is much easier.
Male pattern baldness.
Just a dumb grunt.
(07-22-2015, 05:44 AM)Handicap Wrote: Male pattern baldness.

Once this strikes your haircut options decrease markedly.  I keep it to a 1 guard all around, on the plus side I haven't bought shampoo this millenium.
Plus military life seems to speed up the process. In a lot of cases anyways.

The real reason though is so the headset that they are plugged up to works better and can give them that life long dosage of motivation easier than when hair is between the set and their brain. The ones who EAS had hair still when they went through the process at DI school. They didnt shave their heads as much back in the day because the machine hadnt been invented yet.
(07-22-2015, 05:43 AM)5.9lcummins Wrote: It is fucking easy and cheap.

DI's have to keep a haircut looking fresh as hell, taking a BIC to it every other day is much easier.

probably the best answer.  They also have to have like 50 pairs of chucks

On another related note, one of my DIs started growing out his hair at third phase.

Also, I don't think this applies to SDIs. My SDI had a med reg the entire time. So did other SDIs I saw.
There was a gunny in one of the other platoons who always rocked a Med as well. He was the only one I ever saw on the depot with hair.
It may be a seniority thing too? Kind of like not rating a med reg until after one pump
didn't you listen to the fucking cadence? BECAUSE THEY WANT TO WEAR THAT SMOKEY BEAR

If you have to exaggerate an opponent's ideas to win then you've already lost. - Meyer0331

- Easy to do
- Easy to maintain
- Maybe some shitty hairlines on some of them
- See more veins on their head while they are screaming when they are bald/shaven
- For some it might be a mental preparation (akin to "putting on the foil / warpaint / etc"). I know that my weekly haircut was kind of a 'get back on the horse' type thing for myself.
☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠
I visited Parris Island in April to show my young sons what it was that made dad such a jerk, Wink , most of the DIs I saw had medium or high reg haircuts. Did not see that many with shaved heads although did see a few old school horseshoe cuts on some SDIs.
[img width=172 height=100]http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a424/dutch169/4ba55_20070402_gijoeBig.jpg[/img]
[Image: 2010-10-25-Strip_76_LOL_Boots_III_web.gif]
Phantomgrift: I enjoy minecraft as well as My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
I'm going to agree with the "seniority" post. DI's lives are so full of stupid ass traditions I wouldn't be surprised if you had to have been through a couple of platoons before being "allowed" to have hair.
(09-21-2015, 11:23 AM)OldNBC-5711 Wrote: I visited Parris Island in April to show my young sons what it was that made dad such a jerk, Wink , most of the DIs I saw had medium or high reg haircuts. Did not see that many with shaved heads although did see a few old school horseshoe cuts on some SDIs.

How did it go visiting the Island? I'm trying to plan a trip down there with my buddy next year, but I don't know how a couple of grizzled old veteran bikers would be received on base. Is there a protocol for visiting, or is it pretty much open?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: military_signature-1.png]
(09-22-2015, 04:45 AM)silverado_mick Wrote:
(09-21-2015, 11:23 AM)OldNBC-5711 Wrote: I visited Parris Island in April to show my young sons what it was that made dad such a jerk, Wink , most of the DIs I saw had medium or high reg haircuts.  Did not see that many with shaved heads although did see a few old school horseshoe cuts on some SDIs.

How did it go visiting the Island? I'm trying to plan a trip down there with my buddy next year, but I don't know how a couple of grizzled old veteran bikers would be received on base. Is there a protocol for visiting, or is it pretty much open?  

I would be interested in this information as well.

I mean worse comes to worst you can always hit up a recruiting station to see if you can score an invite for one of their enlistees graduations.
[Image: dpo8auk.gif]

(05-06-2016, 02:33 PM)NSFgirl Wrote: You're a terrible person, wongtastic.
Unless you are some part of special program, all you need to get on base is ID and insurance. You get a visitor pass from PMO and drive in

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
True. Totally not sure how that works. Do you need an invite now? I worry about riding all that way just to be turned away at the gate or something stupid like that.

(09-22-2015, 05:49 AM)austinjking Wrote: Unless you are some part of special program, all you need to get on base is ID and insurance. You get a visitor pass from PMO and drive in

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Neat. Since I'll be in a bike, will I need to wear a fucking glow worm or something I wonder?

You could just call the Depot before you drive down and find out exactly what the rules are.
Yeah that was my plan anyway, but it entertains me to speculate about it and gather other people's opinions and knowledge.

So they can use up the THOUSANDS of dollars worth of unopened razor blades left behind every cycle by the recruits.
(09-22-2015, 05:24 PM)V_C Wrote: So they can use up the THOUSANDS of dollars worth of unopened razor blades left behind every cycle by the recruits.

Left behind?? Motherfuckers made us turn those in.... then I found out how expensive they were off the depot.
(09-22-2015, 08:31 PM)TheKillerSpork Wrote:
(09-22-2015, 05:24 PM)V_C Wrote: So they can use up the THOUSANDS of dollars worth of unopened razor blades left behind every cycle by the recruits.

Left behind?? Motherfuckers made us turn those in.... then I found out how expensive they were off the depot.

I made a return trip to the depot a few years ago when I was TAD from oki. First place I went was the recruit PX to buy me a 12 pack box.  
My SDI had a shaved head so I dont know about the seniority thing. He could have just been balding and shaved it like previously mentioned and like so many others do.
(09-22-2015, 09:21 PM)V_C Wrote:
(09-22-2015, 08:31 PM)TheKillerSpork Wrote:

I made a return trip to the depot a few years ago when I was TAD from oki. First place I went was the recruit PX to buy me a 12 pack box.  
I've always wanted to go back and buy some used cammies on the cheap. I heard that they resell them somewhere on the depo from the recruits that never made it through training
[Image: dpo8auk.gif]

(05-06-2016, 02:33 PM)NSFgirl Wrote: You're a terrible person, wongtastic.