Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ask a motherfucker from Australia
(06-23-2015, 08:25 PM)5.9lcummins Wrote: Every Australian woman I've met has told me Australian guys don't treat women near as good as American men do.
So not so much, why do you treat your women like shit, and more, how do you as a culture keep the pussy off of a pedestal?

These girls could have just been full of shit, my knowledge of Australian culture stops at crazy animals and British convicts.

A big part of that could also be the same thing as, say, a white American woman who dates black men, and claims that white men treat their women like shit/are too stingy with money/too uptight/aren't sexually satisfying/etc.

See what I'm saying?  Some people see what they want to see, others just cherry-pick their bad experiences, and prop them up as a description of a whole.  Unless that bird dated damn near every bloke in Aussieland, her opinion is probably just as misinformed.

I hope you appreciate my Aussie slang.  If not, kiss my White/Arab American ass.  We invented freedom.
(08-02-2015, 10:15 PM)CombatWombat Wrote: [Image: 1438570572401.jpg]

Ermagerd

So many golden gaytimes will be had. they better add the fucking peanuts and choco coating in the tub or im gonna be pissed.
(08-03-2015, 11:15 PM)Cybargs Wrote:
(08-02-2015, 10:15 PM)CombatWombat Wrote: [Image: 1438570572401.jpg]

Ermagerd

So many golden gaytimes will be had. they better add the fucking peanuts and choco coating in the tub or im gonna be pissed.

I'm deeply interested in how this experiment will play out. I know how I would do it, but I only make ice cream in small batches...and what do you mean about peanuts? There are no peanuts in a Gaytime! Buy one and look at the back of the wrapping if you must, but there are no nuts.
A penis lives a terrible life. His hair is a mess, his family are nuts, his neighbour is an asshole, his best friend is a pussy, someone keeps beating him...

Poor thing.
whatever the fuck the glorious coating is, it better fucking have it or im gonna use my primitive legal knowledge and sue for psychiatric damages.
(08-05-2015, 01:51 AM)Cybargs Wrote: whatever the fuck the glorious coating is, it better fucking have it or im gonna use my primitive legal knowledge and sue for psychiatric damages.

It's honeycomb biscuit crumbs. If the ice cream seems lacking, attack a Violet Crumble and a packet of savoiardi biscuits (the finger sponge biscuits, you know them?) with a hammer and add the coating yourself. That should make a passable replacement for the original.

That is, at heart, all it is. Vanilla ice cream, toffee ice cream, chocolate and biscuit crumbs. So simple, but so beautiful. Smile

You honestly couldn't tell that it wasn't peanuts? The texture is all wrong for peanuts, far too crumbly. Too sweet also.
A penis lives a terrible life. His hair is a mess, his family are nuts, his neighbour is an asshole, his best friend is a pussy, someone keeps beating him...

Poor thing.
Who's an American celebrity that's popular in Australia, but might not be too popular here in the States?

What's the split between everyday cars (not commercial vehicles) that use gasoline vs diesel? Only about 5% of personal vehicles use diesel here in the US.

What's one thing about our culture that Australians just do not understand/agree with?
(08-05-2015, 01:40 PM)soup Wrote: What's one thing about our culture that Australians just do not understand/agree with?

Obviously, guns. But I'll stop trying to speak for the Aussies.
Is it true that American Marines get their dicks fucked off in Australia?

Sent the Spirit World using Lou Diamond Phillips
Ephesians 2:8-10

You can lie, but your boner can't 

Gabe/Gall/SHS
(08-05-2015, 01:47 PM)First Strike Deadly Wrote:
(08-05-2015, 01:40 PM)soup Wrote: What's one thing about our culture that Australians just do not understand/agree with?

Obviously, guns.  But I'll stop trying to speak for the Aussies.

Yeah man, you probably should. You're kinda shit at it. Cool

I wouldn't say "guns" was the standout WTF-thing. We're not as big on the pewpews as you, but there's a healthy little gun culture bubbling away. It's just always been more about "tools for a job" than "muh tyranny" or "muh self-defence", so it's not as big or obvious. Gun culture's different here, always was; even before Port Arthur, before the laws tightened up, you'd basically never meet someone who thought they should have a pistol to go down the shops for milk, but meanwhile half the guys here on TL have an EDC handgun as a given just in case. As far as we're concerned wandering around with a gun is a wee bit like walking around with a chainsaw - useful tool to have around for the right tasks, but not all the time. If you're kicking up a stink about how you need to have it on you all the time everywhere, you might want to calm your tits.

I reckon the big WTF is religion. Americans seem batshit-level religious to us, and it's fucking EVERYWHERE. Fucking creationists in government and shit, "ERMAGERD IS OBAMA A MUSLIM", preachers and churches influencing public debate, Gawd Bless this that and the other in speeches....that's fucking mental how much weight religion holds. Here, it was rare until pretty recently to know if anyone in public life was religious at all, never mind what it was. We've had a couple of atheist PMs along the way and no one gave a fuck. Current PM's the first one in ages where his religion's been a big well-known detail, and that's only cos he trained as a priest and left to get his dick wet. He's called the Mad Monk. Big Grin

Basically, if you start making a big fuss about being mates with the beard in the sky we get uncomfortable. Especially if you're in a powerful spot like a politician or a judge, it starts getting weird quick then. A lot of people are still religious, mind, but it's treated like a pretty private thing...and most of the people who say they believe in something aren't exactly going to church much. Bit different to over there, huh?

Quote: What's the split between everyday cars (not commercial vehicles) that use gasoline vs diesel? Only about 5% of personal vehicles use diesel here in the US.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/9309.0

This'd cover it, sort of. Doesn't distinguish between personal and commercial all that clearly, but it's a start. Going off what I've seen myself, diesels are a bit more common here than there, but I dunno how much.

Quote:Is it true that American Marines get their dicks fucked off in Australia?

Everyone likes a hot foreigner. I'd get mine fucked down to a nubbin in the States, if the way Muricans carry on about Aussie accents is anything to go by. Big Grin It works both ways. That said, we haven't got a lot of patience for stupid cunts.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a lot of bitching.<br /><br />- The Tao of Wombat
(08-05-2015, 07:58 PM)CombatWombat Wrote:
(08-05-2015, 01:47 PM)First Strike Deadly Wrote: Obviously, guns.  But I'll stop trying to speak for the Aussies.

Well I was actually making a joke about something that you yourself said on here before. Cool

So I just looked on Wiki (because I was curious about summer break in Australia due to your summers being during our winters).  So you guys on average get about six weeks around Christmas time to late January, then also get two weeks for Easter, two weeks in June, and another two in September?

For primary school, we get about 3 months off during summer, usually a week each of mid-winter and spring break (or a two-week spring break), and about two weeks off during Christmas.  So we probably average about a month more off, depending on district and such.  Obviously, colleges and universities only typically have a week-long spring break, with no mid-winter break.  But many primary schools will do both, or give a two-week spring break.

My uni does spring break early as hell, in late February.  We also commence classes a week before most other college-level on up schools do, though.
(08-05-2015, 10:17 PM)First Strike Deadly Wrote:
(08-05-2015, 07:58 PM)CombatWombat Wrote:
(08-05-2015, 01:47 PM)First Strike Deadly Wrote: Obviously, guns.  But I'll stop trying to speak for the Aussies.

Well I was actually making a joke about something that you yourself said on here before. Cool

So I just looked on Wiki (because I was curious about summer break in Australia due to your summers being during our winters).  So you guys on average get about six weeks around Christmas time to late January, then also get two weeks for Easter, two weeks in June, and another two in September?

Varies a bit by state, and some schools that have longer hours during term time can arrange to stick in an extra week of holidays somewhere in the middle to compensate for longer days, but yeah that's about right for schoolkids. There's a fair few public holidays and long weekends pencilled in as well - shit like Queen's Birthday, Anzac Day (which has an extra workday off in lieu if the day itself is on a weekend), all that shit. Schools have a couple of "pupil free days" up their sleeves to give out, where a school will tell the kids not to come for a day cos the teachers are doing something boring, but those aren't set in stone like school holidays or public holidays are, and each school picks when they'll be.

Womboy started school this year, and the WA school dates this year go like this:

February 2 (Monday) start term, April 2 (Thursday) end term
Holidays from April 3 to April 19. This bit has Easter in it some years, but not every year - depending on when Easter IS, the kids might have it in set holidays or get time off in the middle of term like a long weekend would be
Back to school April 20 (Monday), finish term July 3 (Friday)
Holidays, July 4 to July 19
Back to school July 20 (Monday), finish September 25 (Friday)
Holidays September 26 to October 11
Start October 12 (Monday), finish December 17 (Thursday)
Holidays all the way through from December 18 to February 1 next year.

Meanwhile, Herself's Mum is a teacher in Victoria, and the dates there for this year are a bit earlier

January 27 - March 27
April 13 - June 26
July 13 - September 18
October 6 - December 18

And then the summer break until January 27 cos the 26th is a public holiday.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a lot of bitching.<br /><br />- The Tao of Wombat
I would definitely appreciate living in a place that was more secular.
(08-05-2015, 07:58 PM)CombatWombat Wrote: I reckon the big WTF is religion. Americans seem batshit-level religious to us, and it's fucking EVERYWHERE. Fucking creationists in government and shit, "ERMAGERD IS OBAMA A MUSLIM", preachers and churches influencing public debate, Gawd Bless this that and the other in speeches....that's fucking mental how much weight religion holds. 
That's just the internet mate. While there are a great swaths of the country that are religious, I assure you that there are plenty of non-religious people as well. But yes, the amount of religion on our media is almost obnoxious. 
OH YOU!

[Image: qVbUArb.gif?noredirect]

(08-06-2015, 10:39 AM)ah8176 Wrote:
(08-05-2015, 07:58 PM)CombatWombat Wrote: I reckon the big WTF is religion. Americans seem batshit-level religious to us, and it's fucking EVERYWHERE. Fucking creationists in government and shit, "ERMAGERD IS OBAMA A MUSLIM", preachers and churches influencing public debate, Gawd Bless this that and the other in speeches....that's fucking mental how much weight religion holds. 
That's just the internet mate. While there are a great swaths of the country that are religious, I assure you that there are plenty of non-religious people as well. But yes, the amount of religion on our media is almost obnoxious. 

Coming in late.

In our politics nobody really brings up religion of another MP or even PM. If they're a shit cunt, they'll call them a shit cunt. But our current PM is a bit of a religious man and he has provided commonwealth funding for 'school chaplains' to the states, and the state's will always take whatever money they're given anyway. High Court overruled him twice yet he's still being sneaky about it. 

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/high-court-school-chaplaincy-funding-ruling-forces-tony-abbott-to-rely-on-states-20140619-zsfbc.html

http://www.news.com.au/national/school-chaplain-funding-to-go-ahead-despite-high-court-decision/story-fncynjr2-1227039039320

But generally people find it weird that people get really really into religion in aus. Hillsong are our most outlandish and 'weirdest' religious bunch but nobody ever talks about them much. 
(08-13-2015, 02:33 AM)Cybargs Wrote:
(08-06-2015, 10:39 AM)ah8176 Wrote:

Coming in late.

In our politics nobody really brings up religion of another MP or even PM. If they're a shit cunt, they'll call them a shit cunt. But our current PM is a bit of a religious man and he has provided commonwealth funding for 'school chaplains' to the states, and the state's will always take whatever money they're given anyway. High Court overruled him twice yet he's still being sneaky about it. 

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/high-court-school-chaplaincy-funding-ruling-forces-tony-abbott-to-rely-on-states-20140619-zsfbc.html

http://www.news.com.au/national/school-chaplain-funding-to-go-ahead-despite-high-court-decision/story-fncynjr2-1227039039320

But generally people find it weird that people get really really into religion in aus. Hillsong are our most outlandish and 'weirdest' religious bunch but nobody ever talks about them much. 

He makes the rest of Australia's Catholics look terrible. Go away, Tony.

Poor thing.
RE: American religion

from what I understand, a lot of that originated with our beginnings as a largely agrarian society of small towns and villages separated by miles of wilderness or located on the remote frontier. During those days, the church was basically the common foundation of the community. The isolation is gone now but the traditional importance of the church remains for many people.

So I found the following list of stereotypes about the various types of Aussies. How true are they?

Stereotypes within Australia:

Northern Territorians are troppo.
Tasmanian is not considered to be part of Australia and all its citizens are inbred.
Queenslanders are redneck banana-benders.
South Australians are all gay.
Adelaide is boring and its citizens eat crows.
Sydney's the gay capital and/or "the city of brides".
Perth is 10 years and 3 hours behind Sydney.

Also I'm going to need some translations. WTF is Troppo? Same goes for "banana-bender"

half of the fun of being in the Air Force is watching the other branches get confused and outraged about it
Why do I have to be seppo?
(08-13-2015, 05:43 PM)SSgt Corvus Wrote: RE: American religion

from what I understand, a lot of that originated with our beginnings as a largely agrarian society of small towns and villages separated by miles of wilderness or located on the remote frontier. During those days, the church was basically the common foundation of the community. The isolation is gone now but the traditional importance of the church remains for many people.

So I found the following list of stereotypes about the various types of Aussies. How true are they?

Stereotypes within Australia:

Northern Territorians are troppo.
   Tasmanian is not considered to be part of Australia and all its citizens are inbred.
   Queenslanders are redneck banana-benders.
   South Australians are all gay.
   Adelaide is boring and its citizens eat crows.
   Sydney's the gay capital and/or "the city of brides".
   Perth is 10 years and 3 hours behind Sydney.

Also I'm going to need some translations. WTF is Troppo? Same goes for "banana-bender"

yeh pretty much aye. If you're from tassie and don't have two heads then you'll be right.

Good ole Jacquie was a former army officer and a senator from Tasmania! what a top chick!

Sydney isn't really the gay capital. You should check that shit with melbourne. All the gays are just out in oxford street but that shit is going to die soon coz of the lockout laws to bars which are causing them to shut down. 

Sydney is deh best but then CW will say otherwise. In reality he's just jelly sydney is just the best place in the country Tongue 
"Troppo' basically means 'crazy', as in 'he's gone completely troppo'.

'Banana benders' is another term for Queenslanders due to the fact that there are heaps of banana plantations in the tropical north of Queensland.

I don't know why South Australians are called 'crow eaters' - and as for Adelaide (capital of South Australia) being boring, well its not that bad. It's more a big country town in character. It does have pretty decent bars and restaurants. On a city scale though it is pretty quiet.

Sydney and the gay thing - well there are some areas (such as Oxford St) which were the heartland of Sydney gayness, now somewhat supplanted by Newtown and surrounding suburbs. But they are only small areas in a large city.
This post transmitted using recycled electrons. Go Green and Save The Planet!
Why do Aussies and Britons keep trying to tell the USA what to do in regards to gun laws? Why can't motherfuckers mind their own business?

I've heard that Australia has a ton of laws, regulation, and bureaucracy to the point that some people refer to it as a nanny state. Thoughts?

half of the fun of being in the Air Force is watching the other branches get confused and outraged about it
(08-27-2015, 01:48 AM)SSgt Corvus Wrote: Why do Aussies and Britons keep trying to tell the USA what to do in regards to gun laws? Why can't motherfuckers mind their own business?

I've heard that Australia has a ton of laws, regulation, and bureaucracy to the point that some people refer to it as a nanny state. Thoughts?

You're the world police and were the world's nanny. 
Dude's got a point there, Corvus.

At the same time, the people who complain about that while they're doing the same thing sounds pretty hypocritical.  Especially since unlike our imperialism, our gun laws have no effect on other countries.  So it comes across as the very same snooty "We're better than you barbarians" mentality that we spread.
(08-27-2015, 01:48 AM)SSgt Corvus Wrote: Why do Aussies and Britons keep trying to tell the USA what to do in regards to gun laws? Why can't motherfuckers mind their own business?

Possibly because the existing US gun debate, such as it is, goes in circles; a killing, a backlash about guns, a "my guns! my tyranny!" backlash to the backlash (which ALWAYS wins the argument)...and shortly thereafter another killing. Depending on how you measure it...if you say "four or more victims" is the criteria for a mass shooting incident, then there's more than one such incident per day. Doing the same thing over and over again, every day, and expecting a different result is a good working definition of madness, no?

When people in other countries mention other possible approaches to gun laws (and not necessarily the extreme ones like taking them away altogether, the argument is usually for something much less stringent like safer storage and basic safety classes as requirements to prevent accidents) I doubt it's meant as "we're better than you". It's meant to give other options to think about, instead of retreading the same mad circle in exactly the same mad way over and over again.

(Yes, we own guns)

Poor thing.
(08-27-2015, 05:40 PM)Wombitch Wrote: Possibly because the existing US gun debate, such as it is, goes in circles; a killing, a backlash about guns, a "my guns! my tyranny!" backlash to the backlash (which ALWAYS wins the argument)...and shortly thereafter another killing. Depending on how you measure it...if you say "four or more victims" is the criteria for a mass shooting incident, then there's more than one such incident per day. Doing the same thing over and over again, every day, and expecting a different result is a good working definition of madness, no?

Except that America doesn't have "mass shootings" by your definition anywhere close to 20 miles of "every day".  80% of all firearm homicide in the U.S. is street gang related.  Meaning, a huge culture of crime is what perpetuates it, and the perps and victims are largely those wrapped up in that same cycle.  In fact, shootings that involve 1 or 2 homicides (even if including a murder-suicide) get sensationalized in the media anyway.

Actually, I didn't bother to research that.  But you can feel free to.  If I'm wrong (that every day, a mass shooting of 4 or more people occurs at least once daily in the U.S.) then I'll eat my hat.

And that it's perfectly reasonable to conclude that Americans don't want the moral panic response that countries like Britain and Australia took: Devastating mass shooting that shook our sensibilities to the core?  Even though our incredibly low instances of gun violence don't warrant such a rash response, time to ban the guns!

Or rather, largely ban the guns.  As I'm sure you'll remind me that you guys didn't technically ban guns, just make them extremely difficult for regular people to obtain.  Which is kind of the point that 80-100 million Americans want to avoid.

We've done (and still do) the same thing throughout our history.  War on Drugs, alcohol Prohibition, and of course, the War on Terror!  No time for logic regarding terrorism, time to piss our pants over the statisically extremely unlikely prospect of brown men in turbans killing us.  They all are the same thing that gun control is: Paranoid white people who are scared enough to finally scream about action once they realize that they can become victims, regardless that the stats tell them they're unjustifiably flipping their shit.  Except the difference is, that unlike other moral panics, the liberals are actually buying in to it.  Whereas the conservatives, equal in their own hypocrisy, are propping up the other moral panics.  Both sides effectively proving that they don't stand for any type of individual liberty, rather, their idealistic views of it.

So, is it a working definition of madness?  Because the moral guardians said the same shit when they wanted alcohol to be banned.  That worked out well.  Today, our nation loses CORRECTED: 10,000+ people annually to DUI-related crashes.  Is it the same maddening circle of maddening madness?

(Sorry for the added snarkiness, but you did essentially call us mad)
(08-27-2015, 05:59 PM)First Strike Deadly Wrote:
(08-27-2015, 05:40 PM)Wombitch Wrote: Possibly because the existing US gun debate, such as it is, goes in circles; a killing, a backlash about guns, a "my guns! my tyranny!" backlash to the backlash (which ALWAYS wins the argument)...and shortly thereafter another killing. Depending on how you measure it...if you say "four or more victims" is the criteria for a mass shooting incident, then there's more than one such incident per day. Doing the same thing over and over again, every day, and expecting a different result is a good working definition of madness, no?

Except that America doesn't have "mass shootings" by your definition anywhere close to 20 miles of "every day".  80% of all firearm homicide in the U.S. is street gang related.  Meaning, a huge culture of crime is what perpetuates it, and the perps and victims are largely those wrapped up in that same cycle.  In fact, shootings that involve 1 or 2 homicides (even if including a murder-suicide) get sensationalized in the media anyway.

Actually, I didn't bother to research that.  But you can feel free to.  If I'm wrong (that every day, a mass shooting of 4 or more people occurs at least once daily in the U.S.) then I'll eat my hat.

And that it's perfectly reasonable to conclude that Americans don't want the moral panic response that countries like Britain and Australia took: Devastating mass shooting that shook our sensibilities to the core?  Even though our incredibly low instances of gun violence don't warrant such a rash response, time to ban the guns!

Or rather, largely ban the guns.  As I'm sure you'll remind me that you guys didn't technically ban guns, just make them extremely difficult for regular people to obtain.  Which is kind of the point that 80-100 million Americans want to avoid.

We've done (and still do) the same thing throughout our history.  War on Drugs, alcohol Prohibition, and of course, the War on Terror!  No time for logic regarding terrorism, time to piss our pants over the statisically extremely unlikely prospect of brown men in turbans killing us.  They all are the same thing that gun control is: Paranoid white people who are scared enough to finally scream about action once they realize that they can become victims, regardless that the stats tell them they're unjustifiably flipping their shit.  Except the difference is, that unlike other moral panics, the liberals are actually buying in to it.  Whereas the conservatives, equal in their own hypocrisy, are propping up the other moral panics.  Both sides effectively proving that they don't stand for any type of individual liberty, rather, their idealistic views of it.

So, is it a working definition of madness?  Because the moral guardians said the same shit when they wanted alcohol to be banned.  That worked out well.  Today, our nation loses 17,000+ people annually to DUI-related crashes.  Is it the same maddening circle of maddening madness?

(Sorry for the added snarkiness, but you did essentially call us mad)

247 shootings in 238 days. Since the beginning of 2015, this is the count.

If you tighten the definition to "four or more killed outright, there are fewer (medical care works wonders...people who survive being shot now would not always have done so in the past), but still several per month, and slightly more than one per week.

Who said the discussion had to be a moral panic kneejerk response? It's entirely possible to have a reasonable discussion on the subject; acknowledging that something could change to solve a problem (any problem, this is not gun-control specific) doesn't always mean leaping on the first solution that comes to mind and stopping the discussion dead right there!

Poor thing.