Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ask a motherfucker from Australia
Go ahead. ax me anything.

From the gun debate thread

CPD
Do you own any firearms legally?

Currently no, but I do plan to do so when I get my own place at the end of the year so I can install a gun safe.
How does private armed security work for rich people in Australia?

Our rich people just take shit into their own hands

[Image: article-2626830-1DCA426300000578-6_634x479.jpg]

On the left is james packer, the man whose dad was rupert murdochs (Fox news CEO) mortal enemy.

But we do have armed security guards, usually for cash transport and shit like that and they all carry revolvers

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/131182/Security_Guard_FACT_Sheet_-_Nov_2012_V1.4.pdf

How often do people get robbed for their firearms while on the way to the range/hunting?

Never heard of it. Since to transport a weapon it's supposed to be in a locked portable carriage and has to meet certain ratings to transport firearms so people don't break into them.
How many people are actually in prison for weapons violations?

plz google
Do these prisoners actually do all their time or just slightly over half?

A lot do time due to 'community expectations' and firearms offences are not taken lightly in Aus, especially in my state since sydney siege.
How high are taxes for the average person?

What tasty animals do you eat that most of us do not eat?

What is jail/prison like in Australia?

How much do hookers cost in Australia?

How many have you bought?
Does it get annoying when people in the Northern Hemisphere talk about their Winter and its hot as balls in the Southern Hemisphere?

What kind of gang violence is in Aussie?  (Here in the states we have a myriad of thug gangs, cartels, biker gangs, militia's and mobs/mafia).

I actually don't have that many questions because one of the guys I vidyagame with is from Aussie, so he tells us all sorts of stuff.
☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠
(06-23-2015, 06:17 AM)CPD Wrote: How high are taxes for the average person?

What tasty animals do you eat that most of us do not eat?

What is jail/prison like in Australia?

How much do hookers cost in Australia?

How many have you bought?

1. Avg income is around 80k a year and effective tax rate for that income is 21% and another 2% on top for medicare levy.

2. None of an average basis, but you can buy kangaroo and crocodile meat at major supermarkets.

3. Don't know never been, but it doesn't seem as bad as American ones

4. Around 200 bucks an hour from what i've been reading, they're all legal too and most suburbs have a brothel you just gotta know where to look coz they're discrete due to council regulations. I've heard there's one near my house about a 5 minute walk so that's cool if you're into that. 

5. none. 

Quote:Does it get annoying when people in the Northern Hemisphere talk about their Winter and its hot as balls in the Southern Hemisphere?

What kind of gang violence is in Aussie?  (Here in the states we have a myriad of thug gangs, cartels, biker gangs, militia's and mobs/mafia).

I actually don't have that many questions because one of the guys I vidyagame with is from Aussie, so he tells us all sorts of stuff.

1. Naw it's cool. I just laugh when you guys get snowed in and I'm sitting on the beach getting eaten by sharks.

2. Now all the rage are 'bikies' - outlaw motorcycle clubs. There's a few asian triads and lebanese gangs running around, but now all the bikie gangs absorbed all the 'ethnics' gangs. The sydney siege gunman tried to join the rebels but they booted him coz 'he was weird'. It's funny how hells angels in the USA are like an almost pure white gang but in aus they're mostly serbians and lebanese lol. But bikies aren't fucking stupid enough to fuck with people's lives coz our govt is cracking down on them like minority report and criminlizing mere association. 
What are the drug laws like there?
What phrase best describes you:

A) Cunt
B) Right cunt
C) Bogan
D) Tosser
Phantomgrift: I enjoy minecraft as well as My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
(06-23-2015, 02:38 PM)29PalmsGrunt Wrote: What are the drug laws like there?

Depends on the state, the laws are strict but the actual enforcement to possession isn't too bad. 

You can get 2 marijuana cautions before cops charge you, but it's up to their discretion. They don't really send people to jail for drug possession since it's part of an effort to avoid people getting stuck in the criminal justice system for the rest of their life. 

ACT is best state eva, you can have 25g of weed or 2 plants and they give you a $100 civil fine. 

Horrible: B. 
Why do you treat your women like shit?
What do you do for money?

How much does one need to earn a year in Australia to enjoy life while having enough to put into savings/investments/etc?

How corrupt are law enforcement officials there?

Do illegal immigrants take advantage of the higher level educational opportunities there?

How does an illegal become legal in Australia?

Is most of Australia biracial?

Due to the great melting pot of cultures/etc, are there lots of fusion restaurants/food stands/etc?
Can you mail me some Samboy BBQ chips, Vegimite, Flake, Violet Crumble and Aero?

How much is the price for gas? I remember it was around $3/gal back in the 90's. I lived near Melbourne for 10 years, but moved out in 1999.

How is Ansett AU doing now?
(06-23-2015, 03:56 PM)5.9lcummins Wrote: Why do you treat your women like shit?

Australia has a very long way to go in regards to how women are seen and treated (especially in public life) but it's truly no better or worse than I've encountered anywhere else, and that statement includes the US. It's not uniquely terrible here. Did you think it was?

The problems Australia has with women are the same problems half of the world has, no more and no less.

It could be better. It could be very, very much better. If I thought you would give a shit, I would go into detail about how...but I know you don't (and wouldn't care about half of it if I did; I've seen your responses when the topic comes up and I don't need to see them again) so I won't.
A penis lives a terrible life. His hair is a mess, his family are nuts, his neighbour is an asshole, his best friend is a pussy, someone keeps beating him...

Poor thing.
(06-23-2015, 04:33 PM)CPD Wrote: What do you do for money?
Currently a law student. Girlfriend who only went to TAFE makes 50k aus a year working at four season's and it's her first corporate job

How much does one need to earn a year in Australia to enjoy life while having enough to put into savings/investments/etc?

Savings are mandatory when working, so whatever your salary is 9% on top goes to 'superannuation'. So if your job is 50k a year, around 5k a year is put into your superannuation account. 

It's city dependent as well. Sydney to live the good life you need around at least 70k a year to be comfortable per person. For a household, I'd say around 120k a year. Housing prices have skyrocketed quite a bit, but other cities like Brisbane you'll do alright with around 55-60k a year. 

Not very, especially AFP (feds). But there have been issues with state police corruption in the past, but it's not that major of a problem since there's so many anti-corruption gov bodies. 

Do illegal immigrants take advantage of the higher level educational opportunities there?

We don't have illegal immigration issues like the states. You breach visa they put you on a plane home. If you're a non-citizen and want to enroll your kids to public schools, you pay around 10k a year per child. 

Refugee pretty much. But if you came as a kid, if you lived more than half your life in Aus when you turn 10 you are granted citizenship. 

It's pretty common but from what i've seen at uni white kids stick together and asians stick together, usually do to degree choices.

Due to the great melting pot of cultures/etc, are there lots of fusion restaurants/food stands/etc?

The food in sydney and melbourne is fantastic and you can get pretty authentic cousines here. Thai food in aus is fucking legit. 

Quote:Why do you treat your women like shit?

We don't if you're referring to the misogynist speech by our former female prime minister trying to end the career at our opposition leader, I don't really know the answer. Everything surrounding that issue was political. The 'ditch the witch' and 'JuLIAR bob brown's bitch' was super fucked up and was essentially polticial suicide to stand next to that sign. But Tones somehow did ok. The whole misogony speech wasn't seen as a positive one in Australia and people saw it as an obvious political attack, because the speaker of the house (who was on Julia's side and she needed the votes in parliament) was accused of sexually harassing staff and had criminal charges against him. Tony Abbott did push for a lot of policies to help women, the paid parental scheme was one of his key policies for the gov to give women more money when they're on maternity leave to increase the amount of women in corporate roles but got shot down due to lack of support. 

Were one of the first countries in the world to give women the right to vote, and certain states (colonies at the time) before federation have give women that right before federation. 

http://www.aec.gov.au/Elections/australian_electoral_history/wright.htm

Australia is a little bit in opposite land when it comes to Tony Abbott, the more he purposely does shit to piss people off, his approval ratings go up. 

Wrecker: Petrol is currently around $1.35-1.50 AUD for a litre of E10 petrol, but for premium it's around 1.45-1.60AUD
(06-23-2015, 07:49 PM)Cybargs Wrote:
Currently a law student. Girlfriend who only went to TAFE makes 50k aus a year working at four season's and it's her first corporate job

Savings are mandatory when working, so whatever your salary is 9% on top goes to 'superannuation'. So if your job is 50k a year, around 5k a year is put into your superannuation account. 

It's city dependent as well. Sydney to live the good life you need around at least 70k a year to be comfortable per person. For a household, I'd say around 120k a year. Housing prices have skyrocketed quite a bit, but other cities like Brisbane you'll do alright with around 55-60k a year. 

Not very, especially AFP (feds). But there have been issues with state police corruption in the past, but it's not that major of a problem since there's so many anti-corruption gov bodies. 

We don't have illegal immigration issues like the states. You breach visa they put you on a plane home. If you're a non-citizen and want to enroll your kids to public schools, you pay around 10k a year per child. 

Refugee pretty much. But if you came as a kid, if you lived more than half your life in Aus when you turn 10 you are granted citizenship. 

It's pretty common but from what i've seen at uni white kids stick together and asians stick together, usually do to degree choices.

The food in sydney and melbourne is fantastic and you can get pretty authentic cousines here. Thai food in aus is fucking legit. 

We don't if you're referring to the misogynist speech by our former female prime minister trying to end the career at our opposition leader, I don't really know the answer. Everything surrounding that issue was political. The 'ditch the witch' and 'JuLIAR bob brown's bitch' was super fucked up and was essentially polticial suicide to stand next to that sign. But Tones somehow did ok. The whole misogony speech wasn't seen as a positive one in Australia and people saw it as an obvious political attack, because the speaker of the house (who was on Julia's side and she needed the votes in parliament) was accused of sexually harassing staff and had criminal charges against him. Tony Abbott did push for a lot of policies to help women, the paid parental scheme was one of his key policies for the gov to give women more money when they're on maternity leave to increase the amount of women in corporate roles but got shot down due to lack of support. 

Were one of the first countries in the world to give women the right to vote, and certain states (colonies at the time) before federation have give women that right before federation. 

Australia is a little bit in opposite land when it comes to Tony Abbott, the more he purposely does shit to piss people off, his approval ratings go up. 

Wrecker: Petrol is currently around $1.35-1.50 AUD for a litre of E10 petrol, but for premium it's around 1.45-1.60AUD

Cybargs, I loved that speech. Every woman I know loved that speech. He and many of his supporters were often inappropriate, much of his inappropriate conduct was gendered (Bob Brown's bitch? Truly? "Deliberately barren"? What?) and she called him out on his shenanigans. His career SHOULD have ended long ago, because he is a brute who appeals to the worst Australia as a country has to offer. He's disgusting, and I dearly wish he would go away.

He would undoubtedly have found other things to attack a male opponent on (because Abbott is at heart an attack dog with no sense of scale at all) but much of what he specifically chose for her only worked because she was a woman. He chose his points of attack very carefully, knowing that some of them (childlessness, being unmarried) would hit home much more for a woman than for a man.

...as for his "female friendly policies", they're actually not very friendly at all. Even when the paid parental scheme was in its most generous incarnation, he was giving with one hand and taking away with the other.

With regard to the biracial question...our family is Smile So is yours, I think Cybargs?
A penis lives a terrible life. His hair is a mess, his family are nuts, his neighbour is an asshole, his best friend is a pussy, someone keeps beating him...

Poor thing.
Every Australian woman I've met has told me Australian guys don't treat women near as good as American men do.
So not so much, why do you treat your women like shit, and more, how do you as a culture keep the pussy off of a pedestal?

These girls could have just been full of shit, my knowledge of Australian culture stops at crazy animals and British convicts.
(06-23-2015, 08:25 PM)5.9lcummins Wrote: Every Australian woman I've met has told me Australian guys don't treat women near as good as American men do.
So not so much, why do you treat your women like shit, and more, how do you as a culture keep the pussy off of a pedestal?

These girls could have just been full of shit, my knowledge of Australian culture stops at crazy animals and British convicts.

Americans are, as a whole, more overtly polite in EVERY way, so their observations could have been part of that - what you would see as common politeness sometimes sounds very strange and over the top to Australian ears, because it's something that Australians never truly hear from each other unless the person doing it explicitly wants something.

Many of the minor social expectations are different as well; for example, an Australian woman is usually expected to either buy her own drinks or to take it in turns to buy for the ENTIRE group she's with regardless of gender (if there are five people, each of those five will pay once for drinks for the whole group and then never pay again until their turn comes) so the idea of a man trying "let me buy you a drink...no, no, I insist!" as a flirting manouvre is very strange! She will accept it if it's offered, and she would probably find it flattering, but it wouldn't be the norm for her, because she's become used to "he bought me one? I need to buy him one next" as a set in stone social contract.

(It took me a while to adjust to "Australian polite" norms! My perspective still sometimes jars a little with Australian-born perspective) 

Poor thing.
(06-23-2015, 08:40 PM)Wombitch Wrote:
(06-23-2015, 08:25 PM)5.9lcummins Wrote: Every Australian woman I've met has told me Australian guys don't treat women near as good as American men do.

Americans are, as a whole, more overtly polite in EVERY way, so their observations could have been part of that - what you would see as common politeness sometimes sounds very strange and over the top to Australian ears, because it's something that Australians never truly hear from each other unless the person doing it explicitly wants something.

Many of the minor social expectations are different as well; for example, an Australian woman is usually expected to either buy her own drinks or to take it in turns to buy for the ENTIRE group she's with regardless of gender (if there are five people, each of those five will pay once for drinks for the whole group and then never pay again until their turn comes) so the idea of a man trying "let me buy you a drink...no, no, I insist!" as a flirting manouvre is very strange! She will accept it if it's offered, and she would probably find it flattering, but it wouldn't be the norm for her, because she's become used to "he bought me one? I need to buy him one next" as a set in stone social contract.

(It took me a while to adjust to "Australian polite" norms! My perspective still sometimes jars a little with Australian-born perspective) 

I completely think it's that. 

Aussies are bit more... Direct and brash. I remember when i was with a chick friend and some mutual friend just straight up asked her 'are you keen on me' and got super butthurt when she said no. 

But yeah, since drinks are super expensive, nobody got money to buy random chick drinks. 

(06-23-2015, 08:14 PM)Wombitch Wrote:
(06-23-2015, 07:49 PM)Cybargs Wrote:

Cybargs, I loved that speech. Every woman I know loved that speech. He and many of his supporters were often inappropriate, much of his inappropriate conduct was gendered (Bob Brown's bitch? Truly? "Deliberately barren"? What?) and she called him out on his shenanigans. His career SHOULD have ended long ago, because he is a brute who appeals to the worst Australia as a country has to offer. He's disgusting, and I dearly wish he would go away.

He would undoubtedly have found other things to attack a male opponent on (because Abbott is at heart an attack dog with no sense of scale at all) but much of what he specifically chose for her only worked because she was a woman. He chose his points of attack very carefully, knowing that some of them (childlessness, being unmarried) would hit home much more for a woman than for a man.

...as for his "female friendly policies", they're actually not very friendly at all. Even when the paid parental scheme was in its most generous incarnation, he was giving with one hand and taking away with the other.

With regard to the biracial question...our family is Smile So is yours, I think Cybargs?

That speech was excellent. Gillard was unnecessary attacked on certain points because she was a woman, made fun of the job of her partner (hairdresser) and the disdainful alan jones comment how her dad 'died of shame'. I can see her frustration and it was an actual issue of sexism in Australia. But in the political context, it's a bit odd calling someone a misogynist when you're attempting to save the career of a man (slipper) who has charges laid against. Abbott in a weird way is the type of person who does EVERYTHING to try and destroy his own career yet he's still in power. I mean look at the shit he says and the positions to give himself (minister for women... really?). 

I guess I do have a north shore bias towards the issue, since a lot of women on this side of sydney did see the whole speech as just winning political brownie points. I mean, no non-liberal candidate has EVER won in my area... 

Speech for those interested.

Are most Australians multi lingual?

How many languages are incorporated in schools at an early age?
(06-23-2015, 11:33 PM)CPD Wrote: Are most Australians multi lingual?

How many languages are incorporated in schools at an early age?

Being an immigrant country, I would say in the major cities a lot of people speak an Asian language especially if they just arrived.

But most citizens and ones that are born and raised (not including first gen immigrants), I would say a good 20-30% can speak a second language with good fluency. 

They try to incorporate a second language in schools but the problem is consistency with a school's hiring policy. I know in certain US high schools it's mandatory to take 2 years of a specific foreign language to graduate. Problem in Aus is that a teacher hired this year may teach french, then leave and they get a dude teaching italian for 2-3 years and switch. It's all very school dependent.

The gov is trying really hard to push the major four asian languages, Bahasa, Mandarin, Korean, Japanese. 
Why are they pushing for Japanese? Is it just due to business reasons? It's not like the Japanese have a high immigration rate anywhere.

What countries do Aussies prefer to visit on vacation?
Japanese because of the huge trade reasons.

China, Indonesia/Malaysia and Korea don't have large migration either. But those languages are a great skill to have.

Australian's love Bali

What kind of employment options do felons have after getting out of prison in Australia?

Is there a high rate of felons going back to prison?

How much of a problem is drunk driving?
How popular are American movies and music over there?
(06-24-2015, 02:51 AM)CPD Wrote: What kind of employment options do felons have after getting out of prison in Australia?

Is there a high rate of felons going back to prison?

How much of a problem is drunk driving?

1. Pretty much anything with a police check you're fucked. So no lawyer for you unless you can convince the law board that you're an ok guy now. They really don't like crimes of fraud or anything of nature towards dishonesty. But things like working in a jewllery store, with children etc off limits but most jobs remain open. 

2. 60% in custody reoffend is the official stats. But it does not necessarily mean they go to prison. Australia has a strong push against sending people to prison, we give other convictions such as a suspended sentence (probation), 'good behaviour bond' which is a suspended sentence with conditions eg you can't drink, can't go to x, have curfew etc etc. For really 'minor crimes' like possession of weed they'd give you a section 10 (conviction not recorded). 

3. I would say not a huge problem since there's enough public transport around and there's a lot of DUI checkpoints EVERYWHERE. 

http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/alcoholdrugs/drinkdriving/rbt/

The courts don't fuck around when it comes to convicting people of DUI. Magistrates are like the state's dad. They'll tell you how bad your behaviour is and you shouldn't do it again. 

29Palms: American media is popular everywhere brah, all we listen to is American music and some australian music (guy Sebastian, vance joy etc). American movies are huge, that's all anyone watches because movies produced in aus aren't that great since ya'll took all of our good actors Wink Australian local tv is mixed with australian reality shows like masterchef and 'the block' (renovation show). UK television is also widely available due to broadcast license with our public TV channel ABC. Since were a country with a lot of migrants, we have a Channel called SBS which has shows or movies from practically EVERY single language. People call it the latenight softcore porn channel because of all the euro movies haha. But since we got netflix life has been a lot better Tongue
(06-24-2015, 02:06 PM)Cybargs Wrote: Australia has a strong push against sending people to prison.

Im trying to think of a stereotype joke using this but cant decide which way to go with it. Maybe start dumping your prisoners in England?

On the topic of stereotypes and your answer about movies and such; Have the movies put any stereotypes on us? I know thats a pretty broad question but I was hoping you or WomBitch could throw some depth into the answer beyond "you guys come off as loud cowboys", haha.
(06-24-2015, 01:09 AM)Cybargs Wrote: Japanese because of the huge trade reasons.

China, Indonesia/Malaysia and Korea don't have large migration either. But those languages are a great skill to have.

Australian's love Bali

Because it's cheap. And the women are cheap.
We're ahead of our time. Floating through...
The sky is falling down. This night belongs to you.