Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Ask an Airman anything about the Air Force
Thanks for that Chomps. Yeah, he's going maintenance, not aircrew.
No problem.

Also, soup, list is made in basic, but they don't filter the list for what is available for the career field. Also, they tend to do batch assignments for the schoolhouse.
Denethor Wrote:[18|Feb 12:25 PM]: You're foreign, aren't you
Chatting with one of my Army neighbors, I realized that the AF leave process was actually pretty sweet: 

1. Ask your supervisor if you can take leave (we don't do block leave).
2. Put leave request into leaveweb, an online system.
3. Wait 5 minutes for java to load, then sign and submit. Supervisor gets auto notification of request, with link to request.
4. Supervisor logs in to leaveweb, and waits for java to load.
5. Supervisor approves leave. Command Support Staff and member receive notification.
6. CSS log in to leaveweb, waits for java to load, and approves. Member and supervisor receive notification and link to completed leave form.

Return from leave works the same way.
That's mostly how leave works in the Marine Corps, if you're not under block leave conditions.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
That's good to know.

Also, I don't think I've actually seen block leave outside of training units.
Block leave usually happens I think at BN or below in USMC, above that you can usually take leave whenever
We're ahead of our time. Floating through...
The sky is falling down. This night belongs to you.
That still sounds shitty. Even a lowly E1 can request leave whenever, even at the lowest unit.
I mean, I'm at a battalion, and we can pretty much take leave whenever. It can be hard, but it's doable.

A few months ago I took leave to go fuck off with my best college friends for the first time in 5 years. Requested the dates months in advance. Time came and turns out we had a field op. Everyone from my gunny to the 1st Sgt asked if I'd consider not going on leave, and I was like 'fuck, no"
Yeah, even that's 180 from how the AF does things. When an exercise comes down, every section has to report who has leave planned for the scheduled time. Anyone that requested leave prior to the notice going out can't be fucked with. No asking, no suggesting. Even the CO can't ask them to curtail their leave without valid justification (for anything, really). Exceptions are real-world shit (Khobar, 9/11, etc) and mass deployments dropping.

Example:
https://www.jqpublicblog.com/columbus-controversy-exposes-leave-mismanagement/
You have to get rid of one job in the air force - bang, gone, never have to see, hear or deal with the fuckers again. Your reasons for getting rid of them could be anything. They're doubling up on something another service can provide better, so it's bad use of resources? The whole job is full of retarded mouthbreathers who need a sheet of instructions to put boots on? Any reason will do.

Which waste of space is going to the chopping block, and why?
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a lot of bitching.<br /><br />- The Tao of Wombat
It works the same way in the Marine Corps, despite what has been stated on here. If you have the days, you can take it. The difference is, if there is already an exercise or major event planned prior to your requesting leave, it can get denied.

Block leave is for prior to and immediately following a deployment, or the holiday period. It is used more as a planning tool than anything.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
(10-03-2014, 09:51 AM)austinjking pid=' Wrote:<br />About that, give me a ring when this isn't Tumblrlance anymore<br />
Makes sense Rerun. Probably a case of YMMV for the units.

CombatWombat, I would have to say personal assistant and airline assistant. Granted, it's a special duty (volunteer) job, but it's a goddamned waste of personnel and resources.
I never took leave outside of a block leave period when I was in 1/6. But others did take it outside of a work-up period as long as they requested well in-advance. I have heard stories of others' leave requests (at other battalions) being denied if it was anytime outside of a block leave period. FWIW.
I have seen it happened as well. But, once again, there is normally more to the story, requesting during required or important training that was planned well in advance, not filling out leave requests properly, trying to go to foreign countries without the proper country brief etc etc.

Something I have learned over the years, whenever a younger Marine gives a story of getting fucked over, 9 out of 10 times there is a perfectly reasonable justification for the commands response. This isn't always true but usually it is.

Perfect example:

My unit is going Bridgeport. This has been planned and known by the Marines for about 4 months now. Someone just requested leave during that timeframe. Said leave was denied. According to the Marine we fucked him over, but what he failed to understand, even after being explained, is that once you are locked into a flight window, and the by name rosters are submitted and finalized, it takes Division Commander approval to remove someone from it.

(10-03-2014, 09:51 AM)austinjking pid=' Wrote:<br />About that, give me a ring when this isn't Tumblrlance anymore<br />
I wasn't trying to say that block leave happens is the result of getting screwed, just saying that obviously lower echelon units are going to have a lot more field ops, deployments, work ups, etc. and a busier optempo so block leave is pretty common there. Compared to, say, Division level or nondeployable installation, there is no need for block leave most of the time.
We're ahead of our time. Floating through...
The sky is falling down. This night belongs to you.
I was responding to dotkev.

(12-23-2016, 05:54 AM)Rerun0369 Wrote: I was responding to dotkev.

I concur with your assessment. Most Marines will nearly always try and find a way to make it their Gunny's/command's/Marine Corps' fault (YMMV).

Funnily enough I've never had any issues requesting or taking leave.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Anyone have experience with Seymour (Butts) Johnson AFB?

I can only assume that it is a shithole given it's proximity to LeJuene.....
Never really mixed with them much while at Cherry Pt. Only time i can remember seeing them they where just passing thru for fuel. The units out there seemed to have their own thing going with Air Defense stuff.
I have no experience with SJ. Corvus, you heard anything?