Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Ask an Airman anything about the Air Force
(12-29-2015, 04:04 PM)cookiecj Wrote:
(06-29-2015, 06:31 AM)SSgt Corvus Wrote:
(06-29-2015, 03:46 AM)CPD Wrote: What kind of cool stuff have you done in the Air Force that wouldn't have been possible in a different branch?

How awesome are your Powerpoint, Excel, Word, and Access skills compared to the other branches you've worked with?

What foreign militaries have you worked with?

What's your rifle and pistol qualification like?

Can you give an example of how proud you were to be in the Air Force instead of being in a different branch?

- working with the U-2 spyplane. Shit was so cash. Also drinking with officers because we were overseas and zero fucks were given. Pretty sure in the other branches you're never gonna see LtCols buying drinks for E-4s and telling stories about how AWACS WSO's are pompous asshats.

Let me tell you the tales of my people.

There was this time in Hohenfels when the entire MP detachment had to come shut down our drunken shenanigans, the LtCol in charge of our det almost got pepper sprayed, that drunken bastard. Good times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(10-03-2014, 09:51 AM)austinjking pid=' Wrote:<br />About that, give me a ring when this isn't Tumblrlance anymore<br />
What would you be doing if you hadn't gone full retard and joined the air force?

Did you think about any of the other services?
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a lot of bitching.<br /><br />- The Tao of Wombat
I want to say snorting coke off of a hookers ass, but more realistically I would be working 3 fulltime jobs to make end's meet like everyone else that I graduated with.

Thought about the Navy, remembered I don't like water. Or boats.

Corvus probably has something different though.
Denethor Wrote:[18|Feb 12:25 PM]: You're foreign, aren't you
Does the Air Force still retain ownership of nuclear weapons or has it all gone back to the DoE?

Is there still a Strategic Air Command culture in the higher ranks? If so, whats your opinion on it?

Do you think the Air Force will ever go back to Cold War levels of manpower and funding?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
(12-30-2015, 06:32 PM)austinjking Wrote: Does the Air Force still retain ownership of nuclear weapons or has it all gone back to the DoE?

Is there still a Strategic Air Command culture in the higher ranks? If so, whats your opinion on it?

Do you think the Air Force will ever go back to Cold War levels of manpower and funding?

1. AFAIK weapons are still controlled by USAF, under Global Strike Command (AFGSC).  Helped standup when I was at Barksdale (HQ GSC).

2. Good question. Don't know as that was 25 years ago.  Mentioning SAC is kind of verboten, even though GSC is seen as the SAC 2.0.
Although an officer in one of the flying squadrons did get into a bit of trouble for comparing GSC to SAC and making fun of the "spirit of LeMay"

1&2. Global Strike was setup after the clusterfuck in '07 with Minot and Barksdale. Guess SAC was needed after all, but fuck if anyone will admit that anyone was wrong...

3. IMO, only if we get into another long-term political and ideological standoff with another country. Unfortunately, I foresee all branches shrinking and consolidating installations, budgets, but not pork barrel spending.
I knew that SAC had a cowboy image from the early onset, but eventually LeMay did become the chief of the Air Force. I wonder why SAC is a dirty word with the AF still, for decades it was the forefront of national defense in the Cold War, and brought in almost unlimited funding and development to the newest branch of the military.

(12-28-2015, 09:44 PM)frankieb Wrote: What's the relationship between officers and enlisted? Do they interact a lot? Do officers have chances to actually lead enlisted?

Depends heavily on the career field. In intel it's pretty relaxed and informal with the officers being more like managers than anything. Aircrew is very relaxed due to the close cooperation and the nature of their duties. Meanwhile in maintenance and security forces the relationship is a lot closer to what you'd see in the other branches.

(12-29-2015, 10:10 AM)HardCoreTurtle Wrote: What's the most combat oriented position in the Air Force that isn't in a plane?

How quickly does the Air Force hand out promotions to non-shitbags?

What is the biggest advantage of going Air Force over the other branches?

What's your down time like?

1. TACP or Combat Control

2. depends on your career field. Sometimes your AFSC has too many of a certain rank and it bottlenecks promotions with super high cutting scores. Other times they'll be short certain grades so everyone who shows up to promotion testing and can spell their own name properly gets a line number.

3. Quality of life and having something relevant to do even during peacetime. Even if we're not actively dropping bombs jets always need fixing, bases always need guarding, and intel always needs collecting. So when peace breaks out we don't default to fuck fuck games and busywork.

4. Again heavily dependent on your career field and what kind of mission your unit carries out.

(12-31-2015, 12:11 PM)austinjking Wrote: I knew that SAC had a cowboy image from the early onset, but eventually LeMay did become the chief of the Air Force. I wonder why SAC is a dirty word with the AF still, for decades it was the forefront of national defense in the Cold War, and brought in almost unlimited funding and development to the newest branch of the military.

SAC's cowboy attitudes don't resonate well with today's hyper-sensitive politically correct Air Force. Officers like "Bombs Away" LeMay would never make it past Captain in today's AF. On top of that there is a lot of lingering resentment towards SAC by the fighter jocks that dominated the post-Cold War Air Force leadership, guys who grew up in Tactical Air Command butthurt about spending their formative years in the shadow of the strategic bomber and missile units.

(12-29-2015, 04:21 PM)life is killing me Wrote: Is it true that when you get posted or sent on TDY to an Army base, you get hardship duty pay for sub-standard living conditions?

Nope. I'm posted on an Army base right now, none of the guys in the barracks get extra pay. As far as I've seen that's an urban legend, much like stress cards.

(12-30-2015, 04:04 PM)CombatWombat Wrote: What would you be doing if you hadn't gone full retard and joined the air force?

Did you think about any of the other services?

I probably would have gone Army and tried to be a tank driver. Being in a tank would fucking rule.

(12-30-2015, 06:32 PM)austinjking Wrote: Does the Air Force still retain ownership of nuclear weapons or has it all gone back to the DoE?

1. Yeah we still control two thirds of the nuclear triad, causing endless butthurt from the Navy. The nuclear community in the AF is a bit of a sad story. During the Cold War and SAC it was highly respected and prestigious for obvious reasons, but after the war ended and SAC was broken up, the powers that be decided we didn't need to take nukes seriously anymore. The missile wings became the butt of jokes and were generally neglected and turned into a dead-end dumping ground for failed officers. Institutional rot set in and went ignored until the high profile scandals a couple of years back. Big Air Force finally decided to address the problems and stood up a new MAJCOM to handle the nuclear mission (AF Global Strike Command) and has been working on an overhaul of the missile community to make it less of a career dead end. From what I've heard things are improving but obviously only time will tell.

2. Hard to say as I never personally experienced what SAC was like. Cowboy attitudes like we saw during the Cold War don't last though, that's for damn sure.

3. Probably not anytime soon, if ever. There's no existential threat to justify it.

half of the fun of being in the Air Force is watching the other branches get confused and outraged about it
What do you know about the USAF space program? What is its general reputation in the AF?

Sing like no one is listening, dance like no one is watching, and poop like no one is in the next stall.

Handicapable: Jesus, if you're an O you get awards like they're motrin at a Corpsman parade.
-----------------------------

[Image: WE5D25k.gif]
It's still going strong, we launch shit all the time and Space Command is always busy these days. From what I hear it's in the same boat as Cyber, it's prestige is slowly rising as space's importance in current and future operations increases. When the day comes that the Chinese and/or Russians get serious about kinetic space operations, it'll get a pretty big shot in the arm.

half of the fun of being in the Air Force is watching the other branches get confused and outraged about it
What cool Air Force things have you done lately?

How many hot Air Force chicks have you fucked?

How often do you go on leave?

What are your goals in the AF right now?

What are your AF buddies like?
1. None

2. one

3. not enough

4. PCS out of fucking Fort Meade

5. cool, mix of Security Forces and intel people

(01-14-2016, 12:20 PM)CPD Wrote: What cool Air Force things have you done lately?

How many hot Air Force chicks have you fucked?

How often do you go on leave?

What are your goals in the AF right now?

What are your AF buddies like?

1. None.
2. None. I like to go far away from base to get my groove on. (Although now I'm married, so no more of that).
3. 1-30 times per year, depending on how much I hate my unit.
4. PCS, qualify for LEAP and get promoted.
5. Mostly satcom guys with a couple networking folks I used to work with. Large focus on trucks and jeeps and shit. The new folks seem to be more computer dweebs though...
http://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/air-force-veteran-joining-isis

Do you think it was because he wanted a chance to get back at real branches for stealing all the glory?
They come with fire,they come with axes...Destroyers&usurpers,curse them. GALL:I hope you get run over by a dumptruck full of babydicks CORVUS:yoss hates&knows everything BAN724:I like how buttmad ppl get about Yoss except if you lie still&listen he is trying to make us all better debaters
Wow, what an asshat. He deserves to rot
(02-11-2016, 11:20 AM)Yossarian Wrote: http://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/air-force-veteran-joining-isis

Do you think it was because he wanted a chance to get back at real branches for stealing all the glory?

They should have let him go to Raqqa so he could die via irony when a USAF plane dropped a bomb on him.

For those of you curious about Special Operations Weather, check this out

https://www.reddit.com/r/AirForce/comments/45ucdz/iama_sowt_ask_away/

Quote:There are numerous tasks that we complete- some of which I'm not going to talk about here- that only we have been trained to do. Additionally, our basic meteorological training combines well with those additional duties.

A few of the more important duties that we complete are riverine assessments, mud/ground assessments, snowfall/avalanche assessments, and occasionally launching soundings in otherwise-denied areas.

These tasks are not able to be completed by a drone, with any degree of accuracy.

Why are we SOF? Because conventional forces already have conventional WX support. Simply put, SOF need WX support that understands the nature of....SOF.

(02-15-2016, 04:42 AM)SSgt Corvus Wrote: For those of you curious about Special Operations Weather, check this out

https://www.reddit.com/r/AirForce/comments/45ucdz/iama_sowt_ask_away/

Quote:There are numerous tasks that we complete- some of which I'm not going to talk about here- that only we have been trained to do. Additionally, our basic meteorological training combines well with those additional duties.

A few of the more important duties that we complete are riverine assessments, mud/ground assessments, snowfall/avalanche assessments, and occasionally launching soundings in otherwise-denied areas.

These tasks are not able to be completed by a drone, with any degree of accuracy.

Why are we SOF? Because conventional forces already have conventional WX support. Simply put, SOF need WX support that understands the nature of....SOF.

God this answer sucks itself off so hard.
SOF also has (everything) support that "understands the nature of...SOF"
Hell, while working at SOCPAC there was a fat sergeant 0651 who chuckled and sent his rolls a-jiggling whenever appearance standards were mentioned...the only special thing he was operating was donuts.
My favorite though was the tech sgt who was too cool to actually do her job to make sure we the contractors could do our job and gtfo (meanwhile other sections had E8s and GS-13s sprinting to set us up) and so sat around researching scrapbooking tips while we're searching high and low for the one last computer for the night...that she was sitting on and refusing to let us check the #s for.

Fuck man, there's SOF admin bubbas in SOJ-1.
They come with fire,they come with axes...Destroyers&usurpers,curse them. GALL:I hope you get run over by a dumptruck full of babydicks CORVUS:yoss hates&knows everything BAN724:I like how buttmad ppl get about Yoss except if you lie still&listen he is trying to make us all better debaters
Somehow I knew when I posted that, you would say something autisitic.

Does it bother you when you come up against an ego that rivals your own?

In all honesty, SOF has become more and more self serving over the decades. These guys are supposed to be force multipliers for conventional forces, instead the opposite has become the reality. Politicians see them as an opportunity to fight wars on the cheap with little political fallout, that and the publics incorrect perception of SOF being 10 ft tall superman, capable of everything. A lot of what that guy explained was engineer reconnaissance, something I did for a fucking Tank Bn.

Oh well, they exist and I am sure they do some cool stuff.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
(10-03-2014, 09:51 AM)austinjking pid=' Wrote:<br />About that, give me a ring when this isn't Tumblrlance anymore<br />
(02-15-2016, 11:57 AM)Rerun0369 Wrote: In all honesty, SOF has become more and more self serving over the decades. These guys are supposed to be force multipliers for conventional forces, instead the opposite has become the reality. Politicians see them as an opportunity to fight wars on the cheap with little political fallout, that and the publics incorrect perception of SOF being 10 ft tall superman, capable of everything. A lot of what that guy explained was engineer reconnaissance, something I did for a fucking Tank Bn.

Oh well, they exist and I am sure they do some cool stuff.

NO IT IS SPESHUL WEATHERMAN SUPERPOWER U NO GET IT.
FLY FIGHT WIN
(02-15-2016, 11:57 AM)Rerun0369 Wrote: In all honesty, SOF has become more and more self serving over the decades.

To be fair, the government can take a good chunk of the blame for enabling this.

If you had read the entire post, you would have seen the part where I talked about that.

>implying I know how to read

Quote:No, we do NOT make an impact as often as, say, even conventional WX does.

Also, it's fun hearing him cry about being in a student status while short-school fucks were no longer in student status and got to do real stuff.

I also like how he's all "BOOTS ON THE GROUND FOR WEATHER IS MOST IMPORTANT WEATHER BOOT. But they are not special. Only WE are special."

oh, and
https://twitter.com/ihsandogan/status/699148352940810240
Yoss he probably has a bigger penis than you too. I bet he thinks armorers are super gay.