Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Ask an Airman anything about the Air Force
Whats the USAF version of the Corps pivot to the pacific? Is the branch as a whole trying to change their operational doctrine?
Well we already had a pretty major Pacific presence thanks to PACAF. The main things I've noticed are a general beefing up of funding and personnel at the Pacific bases. Not much of a change in operational doctrine as far as I know. I mean we basically already have assets in-theater, with fighters, ISR, and strikers in Korea, Japan, and Hawaii, and heavy bombers at Guam.

half of the fun of being in the Air Force is watching the other branches get confused and outraged about it
What kind of cool stuff have you done in the Air Force that wouldn't have been possible in a different branch?

How awesome are your Powerpoint, Excel, Word, and Access skills compared to the other branches you've worked with?

What foreign militaries have you worked with?

What's your rifle and pistol qualification like?

Can you give an example of how proud you were to be in the Air Force instead of being in a different branch?
(06-29-2015, 03:46 AM)CPD Wrote: What kind of cool stuff have you done in the Air Force that wouldn't have been possible in a different branch?

Looking at good looking women on a regular basis.
(06-29-2015, 03:46 AM)CPD Wrote: What kind of cool stuff have you done in the Air Force that wouldn't have been possible in a different branch?

How awesome are your Powerpoint, Excel, Word, and Access skills compared to the other branches you've worked with?

Can you give an example of how proud you were to be in the Air Force instead of being in a different branch?

- working with the U-2 spyplane. Shit was so cash. Also drinking with officers because we were overseas and zero fucks were given. Pretty sure in the other branches you're never gonna see LtCols buying drinks for E-4s and telling stories about how AWACS WSO's are pompous asshats.

- my time as a briefer with AWACS has given me mad PowerPoint skills. I'm meh with Word and Excel and Access makes me feel retarded.

- Worked closely with the Canadians at Tinker and Al Dhafra, worked side by side and also got mad drunk with the ROKs at Osan.

- varies depending on your career field and whether or not the AF has decided to change it again. Generally speaking it's pretty basic shit. The only really weird thing we do is wear gas masks for part of the rifle qual. I've never actually done an AF pistol qual though, they don't issue those out to non-Security Forces members much. I think for a while there they were doing M9 quals during basic training but they may have changed that again.

- I feel proud to be AF every time I see things like our fighters and bombers flying around, just like "fuck yeah I'm part of this team". Doubly so when I hear or read stories about A-10s or F-15Es coming in guns hot and turning the tide of an insurgent ambush in Afghanistan or Iraq. I guess it's like when Marines or Army see tanks doing badass tank things or other motoboner inducing shit like that. Seeing A-10s always gives me a huge chubby too. This one is more cynical, but whenever I see how much the Soldiers and Marines I work with get harassed and micromanaged by their leadership it makes me glad I went AF. I guess another example would be working in ISR. I know the other branches have a hand in it as well, but seeing how much of the SIGINT and overhead recon missions are done by Airmen makes me rather proud.

half of the fun of being in the Air Force is watching the other branches get confused and outraged about it
AF pistol qual, dark green cut out, with pencil circles for center mass and head shots. Didn't draw from holster, two to the chest one to the head, but don't remember the exact amount of rounds used. Basically they just count up the amount of rounds placed into the two circles and that's what determined Expert/Marksman.

As easy as the qual is, there were guys next to me who still didn't get all their rounds on target.

Also, it's been like five years since I did the AF pistol/rifle quals, so I've forgotten a lot.
You'll have to speak up, I'm not wearing any pants.

F18WrenchMonkey: NSF is grand master champion at being apathetic
They just changed pistol qual iirc.

Not all jobs use office products. Flightline maintainers (and rf techs) do have to use a maintenance database, but that's the majority of computer inclination for many non-office non-comm Airmen.
Denethor Wrote:[18|Feb 12:25 PM]: You're foreign, aren't you
Oh yeah, and there was no time limit.
You'll have to speak up, I'm not wearing any pants.

F18WrenchMonkey: NSF is grand master champion at being apathetic
THREAD NECRO

ASK ME ABOUT MY PENIS

(12-19-2015, 03:53 AM)SSgt Corvus Wrote: THREAD NECRO

ASK ME ABOUT MY PENIS

Is it pretty?
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a lot of bitching.<br /><br />- The Tao of Wombat
It's a thing of beauty

Are there such things as TACP reservists?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
I'm not sure, but probably. I know a lot of the Rescue (PJ) squadrons are Guard/Reserve.

Is the Rosswell base housing extra terrestrial life forms?

Sing like no one is listening, dance like no one is watching, and poop like no one is in the next stall.

Handicapable: Jesus, if you're an O you get awards like they're motrin at a Corpsman parade.
-----------------------------

[Image: WE5D25k.gif]
There is no base in Roswell

What's the relationship between officers and enlisted? Do they interact a lot? Do officers have chances to actually lead enlisted?
Victim of the negative karma bugger
(12-28-2015, 09:18 PM)SSgt Corvus Wrote: There is no base in Roswell

That's what they want you to think.

Wake up sheeple!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
(10-03-2014, 09:51 AM)austinjking pid=' Wrote:<br />About that, give me a ring when this isn't Tumblrlance anymore<br />
What's the most combat oriented position in the Air Force that isn't in a plane?

How quickly does the Air Force hand out promotions to non-shitbags?

What is the biggest advantage of going Air Force over the other branches?

What's your down time like?
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back.
(12-29-2015, 10:10 AM)HardCoreTurtle Wrote: What's the most combat oriented position in the Air Force that isn't in a plane?

How quickly does the Air Force hand out promotions to non-shitbags?

What is the biggest advantage of going Air Force over the other branches?

What's your down time like?

1. Probably TACP or Pararescue.  Anyone can fill a tasking for the Army though.

2. Promotion testing occurs once a year to progress to E-5 through E-9.  Factors include past 3 performance reports (all ranks do annual performance reports), points from medals, and scores on two tests (job knowledge and AF knowledge).  Time in grade and service used to count, but is now being phased out. 

Once points are calculated for everyone testing for the rank, a cutoff score is assigned based on the percentage of people that need to be promoted to maintain manning for that AFSC (MOS).  Average cutoff varies from 12%-30%, depending on the year and job.

Most people are automatically rec'd unless the unit CC (O-4/O-5) has a real good reason to non-rec.  Being non-rec'd is pretty much a career ender.

3. Advantages of AF:
- When stationed at a base, most people don't sit there preparing to deploy.  Most base assignments are actually doing a job there.
- When PCS'ing, an assignment preference sheet (online website that is easy to fill out) is compared to what bases are available for the PCS cycle and the Chief Enlisted Manager (E-9) tries to match both up the best they can.
- The listing of what overseas bases are available for what PCS time period is published for anyone in the AF to view (for a 10 day period, once a quarter).
- Personnel can apply for special duty assignments at any time through an online website that actually works (mostly).
- Most jobs are on a limited deployment factor.  I spend 6 months in deployment vulnerability, then 18 months not deployable for short notice.
- I can volunteer for deployments in Japan, Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, and so on whenever they appear. I can also volunteer to fill other taskings to AFG/IRQ if I want.
- I don't spend 6 months at sea.
- E-4 can move out of the barracks (dorms). E-5 and above normally do not live in barracks except at a few overseas bases.
- Many of the jobs are awarded credits towards an associates degree (CCAF).
- After basic training, you go to your technical school.  This can range from 4 weeks to 15 months (linguist).
- Many of the jobs correlate to civilian side jobs.
- Assignments in Japan, Korea, Hawaii, Guam, Spain, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Norway, and Italy as regular duty.
- Most personnel go to work, do their job, and go home (7-5).
- Unit pt is dependent on the unit and varies from "on your own" to "formation PT 3 times a week".
- Fitness Assessments are every 6 months.  Waist measurement (not neck), 1 minute pushups, 1 minute situps, 1.5mi run. Getting a 90% means that you only test once a year.
- We don't do block leave. Forecast your leave, take your leave.
- Leave is submitted through a website.  You submit, your supervisor approves, then the Command Support Staff approves the leave. Return from leave works the same way.
- Continuity of Tour (COT) leave: If I do 2 overseas tours, I can take leave in-between to visit family (or do other shit). Ticket for myself and spouse are paid for by the AF to fly home.
- Environmental Morale Leave (EML): many overseas bases allow for this. It's pretty much just regular leave, but it bumps you to category 2 for space-a. Can do once per year.

4. Down-time: I work 0700-1700, M-F. Work ends when I leave work. Some NCO's and SNCO's work on performance reports at home; Fuck that noise.  Flightliners work 12-16 hour days, depending on the base.  Some shops have a standby phone that rotates on a weekly basis.

We are expected to pursue degrees. Master's degrees are pretty much required to make E-7.  Volunteering is also expected.  Both normally appear on performance reports, which are done annually for all members (E-1 through O-9).
What do you mean by fill a tasking for the army? Like I can tell the air force I'd like to deploy with the army?
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back.
Pretty much. Army reports that they need bodies to fill certain roles; AF and Navy agree to fill x% each. Unit deployment managers receive taskings and ask for volunteers prior to assigning someone who is vulnerable.

If you are cool with your UDM, they are more likely to keep an eye out for deployments for you (if you want)
(06-29-2015, 06:31 AM)SSgt Corvus Wrote:

- working with the U-2 spyplane. Shit was so cash. Also drinking with officers because we were overseas and zero fucks were given. Pretty sure in the other branches you're never gonna see LtCols buying drinks for E-4s and telling stories about how AWACS WSO's are pompous asshats.

Let me tell you the tales of my people.
CPD: after you beat up someone you gotta take something from them.  CPD: it can be food, money, their anal virginity, whatever, but you gotta take something from him

#FREEHCT

[Image: octoCookie_zps30dh4gn8.jpg]
Is it true that when you get posted or sent on TDY to an Army base, you get hardship duty pay for sub-standard living conditions?
(12-29-2015, 04:21 PM)life is killing me Wrote: Is it true that when you get posted or sent on TDY to an Army base, you get hardship duty pay for sub-standard living conditions?

Fuck no. 
(12-28-2015, 09:18 PM)SSgt Corvus Wrote: There is no base in Roswell

I fucking knew it. 

[Image: fJaQfqv.jpg]

Sing like no one is listening, dance like no one is watching, and poop like no one is in the next stall.

Handicapable: Jesus, if you're an O you get awards like they're motrin at a Corpsman parade.
-----------------------------

[Image: WE5D25k.gif]