Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Ask an Airman anything about the Air Force
...I think I got cancer from that post. Corvus, you got anything?
Denethor Wrote:[18|Feb 12:25 PM]: You're foreign, aren't you
Y'all are some cold motherfuckers.

See also my post about how the USAF over-emphasizes PT as the only means of judging a person's worth to the Air Force. Homeboy there got himself caught in the Vicious Cycle of PT Hatefucking. My roommate did too, so I saw firsthand how fucking shitty it can be and how it can absolutely crush some new kid with no life experience yet. Anyway, this could mean he's a nasty fatbody who won't stop eating lard, or his comment about the heart condition could be true. I have absolutely seen the AF throw people under the PT bus regardless of existing medical issues due to how fucking slow medical can be when it comes to diagnosing issues and providing appropriate documentation.

As for the suicide thing, idk. I actually had a problem with depression around the same time in my life but it wasn't really for duty-related reasons, but still, I can sympathize to a certain extent. I got help and it never affected my career in the least.

I told homeboy to go see a chaplain, I don't know what he's on about saying that he'll get kicked out for going to mental health, but chaplains are 100% confidential.

half of the fun of being in the Air Force is watching the other branches get confused and outraged about it
How hard is it to fail an AF PT test?
The Kool-Aid is a lie.
Everything he cries about screams of being maladjusted boot who can't handle being away from mommy and daddy and it turns out that being AFSF isn't raining blowjobs and glory like he thought the recruiter meant when he was told he'd get to wear a beret.
Kid sounds like he's gonna get himself a service-connected diagnosis of vaginitis and then ride the benefit train until he decides people aren't thanking him enough for his "service" and pulls the PTSD veteran card from seeing "some shit" from his time "overseas."
They come with fire,they come with axes...Destroyers&usurpers,curse them. GALL:I hope you get run over by a dumptruck full of babydicks CORVUS:yoss hates&knows everything BAN724:I like how buttmad ppl get about Yoss except if you lie still&listen he is trying to make us all better debaters
(03-05-2015, 05:53 AM)npr Wrote: How hard is it to fail an AF PT test?

If you're a decent runner, it's really not bad at all. One of the big things that's been hurting people lately has been push-up Nazis sitting there with a fucking protractor and docking you points for not breaking 90 degree angles with your elbows. I get it if fools are barely flexing their arms, but when people are bouncing their damn chests off the ground and you're telling them to go lower, something's fucky.

@Yoss, possibly, but I'm not going to make that assumption based off a single post. I sent the guy a PM, I'll see what he has to say.

half of the fun of being in the Air Force is watching the other branches get confused and outraged about it
Troll fail. Serious note though, always found the chest to fist is a pretty legit measurement for pushups.
The Kool-Aid is a lie.
Finished this year's promotion testing already. If I didn't make it, will have to wait until next year to test again.

Corvus, when are you eligible for Tech testing?
(03-25-2015, 08:10 PM)Chomps Wrote: Finished this year's promotion testing already.  If I didn't make it, will have to wait until next year to test again.

Corvus, when are you eligible for Tech testing?

Not until next cycle, here's hoping the rates will remain high like they were this year. Knowing my luck though it'll be just like when I started testing for Staff and they'll crank the cutting scores through the roof again for a few years.

Also rezing thread, ask us Air Force shit.

what's the pogiest job/station an Air Force officer could get? I want to commission eventually, and I've been thinking about maybe switching services if I don't get accepted into the Marine ECP. Afterall, it's all the same pay and rank. Though I hear it's hell to get a pilot slot.
Personnel is pretty fucking POG, and basically every AF base except for Hurlburt and Moody are POG-y

What keeps you in the Air Force? Why did you reenlist? Are you satisfied with your career or is it lack of other options?
I like the life, to be honest. I like wearing a uniform, I like being a part of something greater than myself. Plus I got paid to live in Korea for two years and get drunk with my friends constantly while also getting to play with guns and work with the fucking glorious sexy beast that is the Dragon Lady. While there are individual aspects of my job that I've been dissatisfied with, overall I enjoy it as a career and want to see what more it has to offer me. I'm sure if I got out I could find something to do, but to be honest there's nothing out there that really calls to me at this phase in my life. I guess you could say it's a little of both.

What are the equivalents of a B-billet in the Air Force?

When will you have to do one?

Which one do you want to do and why?

What kind of weirdos have you had to work with in the Air Force?
How hard is it to get stationed in Korea? How long is the duty rotation there? Is it possible to remain there longer than one duty rotation?
The Kool-Aid is a lie.
So we call B-Billets Special Duty Assignments but they're functionally the same thing. Ours include:

-Military Training Instructor (drill instructor, only available for TSgts and above these days)
-Military Training Leader (they basically are like MTI-lite, they oversee and handle administrative duties for the boots while they're in tech school)
-Recruiter
-Defense Attache
-Nuclear Missile Alert Facility Manager (they take care of the living quarters for the security detail and alert crews out at the missile launch bunkers, I'm looking into doing this one)
-First Sergeant (only available for MSgts and above)
-Honor Guard

I think there might be a few others but those are the main ones I know of. At this point some form of Special Duty experience is required for career NCOs to make it up to the SNCO tier. They want people to get experience outside of their career fields, plus most of those duties are good leadership and/or management experience.

I want to do the Nuclear one because it's pretty laid-back and low-key compared to the nonstop shift work and madness of working in intelligence. It gets me a few years somewhere quiet out west where I can do something different for a change and take some time to work on my own career development. Plus it's good management experience and the AF is looking for people who are willing to enter the nuclear world right now.

As for weirdos, where do I even begin?

The biggest two I can recall were these two SSgts in my unit in Korea who were straight up autistic. One was a dude who looked like a shaved ewok and babbled incessantly about MMOs in a nasally voice while consistently sucking at even the most basic duties. The other was a lumpy, overweight female who we called The Hamburglar. Both were extremely childish, immature, passive-aggressive, out of shape, incompetent, and socially retarded oxygen thieves who only became NCOs thanks to the AF's misguided belief that you can measure leadership ability with a multiple choice test. For some reason they both were able to just hang around like a fart in a humvee, getting shuffled from command to command like hot potatoes because no one was willing to get their hands dirty and kick the fuckers out.

Story tiem: Shaved Ewok guy once went on at great length about how all things have an energy aura and that disease and cancer and whatnot were caused by said aura becoming inbalanced. He also said that was the reason microwave food was unhealthy, because microwaving poisons the food's aura. The kicker was this guy basically ate nothing but hot pockets all the time. He also would scream and shout at officers when they did things he didn't like or put him on the spot, and then whined and bitched that everyone had it out for him when he got bad performance reports as a result of his immaturity and incompetence. I swear to god if it was for the fact that people felt sorry for him since he obviously had a mental disability he would have been kicked out by now.

The Hamburglar, meanwhile, was even more retarded, at one point during a chem warfare scenario when everyone was supposed to go into MOPP 4, she managed to get one overboot halfway on before complaining that she needed help getting the rest on and then just lying there on the floor when no one helped her because they were busy getting their own gear on. Another time they were having us help her with PT because she was a fat, slovenly turd who couldn't pass a PT test. She did about 5 half-assed push-ups before opting to lie there on her face. When the SSgt running the PT session told her to stop being lazy and do more, she threw a fucking tantrum. During the same session, we went to the track to run. As soon as she (finally) shuffled across the finish line, she just stopped and made a big show of flopping on her back like she had passed out. The worst part was there was a Marine right behind her, and this fat, stupid hambeast just flails around in his path. As he ran past, my buddies and I just stood there thinking "this is why the other branches make fun of us."

(06-28-2015, 08:07 AM)npr Wrote: How hard is it to get stationed in Korea?  How long is the duty rotation there?  Is it possible to remain there longer than one duty rotation?

It's fucking easy to go there, especially if you are maintenance, intelligence, or security forces. The standard tour length is one year, though lately more people have been getting authorized to stay longer. I actually wound up there for two due to admin fuckery. They used to have this thing called KAIP (Korea Assignment Incentive Pay) where you could volunteer to stay an extra year for a 300$ monthly bonus, but after the sequester hit they killed it. Which was bad timing because a lot of people are a lot less willing to go there these days because USFK and 7th Air Force keep trying to treat everyone there like children. They've been fighting tooth and nail to kill the party culture out there, with stricter curfews that result in automatic demotion if you get caught breaking them, banning people from drinking for their first 30 days on station regardless of rank, age, or experience, trying to get bars shut down, and trying to waste everyone's off-duty time with constant mandatory fun bullshit. And then they wonder why there's a morale problem there.

Meanwhile, fucking retards from 2nd Infantry Division keep making it worse for everyone because they can't drink a beer without trying to rape underage girls or punch out cab drivers. They keep drifting down from Camp Humphries and Yongsan Garrison to the Osan area and trying to start fights with everyone. Then the Marines show up to Osan for exercises, see the Army guys, and immediately get into drunken brawls over who has the bigger dick. This results in another USFK-wide no drinking allowed crackdown. So yeah, the AF people in Korea fucking hate the Marines and Army because you fucktards keep ruining it for us.

I didn't read all that shit, but you need to come do honor guard. You'd fit in great all of the Air Force honor guard guys are autists. One guy tried to buy my white leather gloves off me. Strange dude
look out butt, here comes my finger.<br /><br />
(01-26-2014, 07:46 AM)npr Wrote:<br />Never get in a pissing contest with a skunk<br />
cool story bro

At least he didn't shit on you for exposing your career aspirations of BEING A BARRACKS MANAGER.
Seriously, they have personnel dedicated to being a Butler/groundskeeper/babysitter for people whose job is to not press a button for eight hours a day?
They come with fire,they come with axes...Destroyers&usurpers,curse them. GALL:I hope you get run over by a dumptruck full of babydicks CORVUS:yoss hates&knows everything BAN724:I like how buttmad ppl get about Yoss except if you lie still&listen he is trying to make us all better debaters
Coming from the guy who was an armorer for the entirety of his career.

No, I handled a lot more than just an armory, I functioned as an s4 chief for a year. Which meant doing everything described the n your lofty SDA was my everyday thankless job on top of my duties as an armorer. So I k ow it's a bs gig.
Neat.

Gone for a day and a bunch of posts appear. Thanks Corvus.

Also, for Korea it's harder for some AFS's to get stationed there. In particular, 3D's since everyone wants to use it to get follow on assignments.

For assignments - We go onto our virtual personnel website (vMPF) and select which bases we would like to go to (wish list). For most, putting Korea makes it a number one pick when overseas assignments are handed down (quarterly for overseas, listing is on the assignments website -AMS).
Yeah, if you're a SIGINT guy and you put Korea anywhere near your wish list, you're gonna fucking get it.

I just want to go, live in Korea
The Kool-Aid is a lie.
We know. If you go there with the military you'll probably just hate life.