Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Rants and Raves
Rant: Somehow spammers keep managing to create accounts and post spam content.
Denethor Wrote:[18|Feb 12:25 PM]: You're foreign, aren't you
Rant: Got a little fluffy on ship.
Rant: doing Corporals course. Glad this is more critical to me getting promoted than say going to an advanced MOS school.
Rave: Disneyworld trip booked
(09-29-2017, 11:20 PM)TheKillerSpork.2 Wrote: Rant: doing Corporals course. Glad this is more critical to me getting promoted than say going to an advanced MOS school.

Haha yep. Two whole enlistments and I never got any formal MOS-related training outside of MOS school. 2 months as a DoD civilian and I already have advanced (for my field) training completed. And I didn't have to beg my boss or commit to working twice as hard to go.

The Marine Corps will train you just enough to keep you working or (maybe) set you up for reenlistment. That's about it.

Don't get me wrong the Marine Corps is a great stepping stone, but as an institution its leaders sure like to act like you should feel lucky to acquire training and certification that's pretty routine anywhere else.

Case in point, a USMC CI/HUMINT detail was running one morning and one the females was falling behind. The Gunny barked at her "how are you gonna handle a TIER WUN asset when you can't even keep up on a run?!" Pretty much anytime someone made him mad, he would always make some reference to a "tier 1 asset." Which was funny because the Marine Corps, being a tactical organization, isn't exactly doing "tier 1" stuff regularly. Nor is that kind of work tied to things like PT ability.

Even in joint training, USMC is vastly underrepresented. Lots of DoD civilians, Army and Air Force peeps. Marines, not so much.
We're ahead of our time. Floating through...
The sky is falling down. This night belongs to you.
I would be way more willing to re-enlist if they we would actually send me to MOS Schools. I mean hell, it took me a year of being a Corporal to be able to just go to Corporals Course in the first place.
It's just kind of disappointing to me, as someone who actually really loves his job field, that being good at my job has zero influence on picking up rank. I understand the "whole Marine Concept", but the whole Marine Concept really leaves out job proficiency. Like you said, running fast is more important. I'll definitely be looking to take my skillset to the civ sector.
That shits on you buddy. I was in corporals course three months after I pinned, pushed back a bit for my marriage. If you keep looking for advancement and lean on your command you can go to all manner of schooling depending on where you are. Lifer, daniels, and Meg are examples of this.
Know yourself and seek self improvement.
There are all manner of courses tune at the division/wing/group level that don't require any special funding or orders, it's on you to find them and push for seats. Don't give your command an excuse to say no, make it easy for them to say yes, and you can get to do all sorts of things.
They come with fire,they come with axes...Destroyers&usurpers,curse them. GALL:I hope you get run over by a dumptruck full of babydicks CORVUS:yoss hates&knows everything BAN724:I like how buttmad ppl get about Yoss except if you lie still&listen he is trying to make us all better debaters
(09-30-2017, 03:16 PM)TheKillerSpork.2 Wrote: I would be way more willing to re-enlist if they we would actually send me to MOS Schools. I mean hell, it took me a year of being a Corporal to be able to just go to Corporals Course in the first place.
It's just kind of disappointing to me, as someone who actually really loves his job field, that being good at my job has zero influence on picking up rank. I understand the "whole Marine Concept", but the whole Marine Concept really leaves out job proficiency. Like you said, running fast is more important. I'll definitely be looking to take my skillset to the civ sector.

Mark my words, it is unlikely to happen. When you reenlistment, they don't see a Cpl/Sgt that can improve the reputation of your specialty within the Marine Corps (which is currently laughable) - they see a body that has indirectly volunteered for a gay B billet or staff academy or whatever. If you really want to progress in your specialty, you can only really do in another branch of service or as a fed.
We're ahead of our time. Floating through...
The sky is falling down. This night belongs to you.
(09-30-2017, 09:21 PM)ABACABB Wrote:
(09-30-2017, 03:16 PM)TheKillerSpork.2 Wrote: I would be way more willing to re-enlist if they we would actually send me to MOS Schools. I mean hell, it took me a year of being a Corporal to be able to just go to Corporals Course in the first place.

Mark my words, it is unlikely to happen. When you reenlistment, they don't see a Cpl/Sgt that can improve the reputation of your specialty within the Marine Corps (which is currently laughable) - they see a body that has indirectly volunteered for a gay B billet or staff academy or whatever. If you really want to progress in your specialty, you can only really do in another branch of service or as a fed.

The plan now is to apply for Army Aviation Warrant Officer.
Rave- made cheesecakes for paramedic class potluck thing intended to explain to our loved ones why we're dead to them for the next year.
Rave- started my 911 rotations for my paramedic class

Rant- 36hr/wk of rotations and counting
Rant- VA says it's impossible to have that sort of academic obligation and is refusing to pay my GI bill stipend
Rant- First shift had ~4hr call for barricaded EDP
Rant- Friend OD'd on aspirin
Rant- Viewing is today, but I can't make it and make it home to get to class in time because it's two hours each way via mass transit (and one if I had a car)
Rant- Funeral is tomorrow, but I can't make it because it's an hour after I get off work in the morning and it's another two hour commute, and I'd have to pack a garment bag, backpack, and cheesecakes to class tonight even if I got a ride.
They come with fire,they come with axes...Destroyers&usurpers,curse them. GALL:I hope you get run over by a dumptruck full of babydicks CORVUS:yoss hates&knows everything BAN724:I like how buttmad ppl get about Yoss except if you lie still&listen he is trying to make us all better debaters
Sorry for your loss.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
(10-03-2017, 06:24 PM)dotKev Wrote: Sorry for your loss.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I made it to the funeral, at least, but that had me up for 30hr with a 4hr window to sleep before class and work. I have no classes tomorrow, so I can sleep, but I gotta catch up on paperwork for my rotation and try to study the books I don't have. 
Rave: Friend sent some rosemary shortbread cookies that are fucking delicious

Rant: Only three left
You'll have to speak up, I'm not wearing any pants.

F18WrenchMonkey: NSF is grand master champion at being apathetic
Rant: Cut the web between my thumb and index finger preparing sides for Canadian thanksgiving at my sisters, can't close it on my own, so to emerge I go.

Rant: arrived at 1530, still here at 2230 cause one doctor is watching patient transfer waiting for air ambulance.

Rave: I'm not the one waiting air ambulance, I'm thankful...
Small Empires make little people feel big
Rant: A girl that I used to work with at a movie theater in high school, and that i haven't talked with in 7ish years added me on facebook. She starts small talk and then hits me with a request to buy her and her fiance round trip tickets to italy for their honeymoon next summer. They are just too broke to afford it now, but it's their dream. She promises with all her heart she'll pay me back with whatever money they get from the wedding. First of all... I don't even buy myself tickets to Italy. It would be one thing if it were my brother or sister... or even a close friend. But who the fucks hits up someone that they haven't talked to in 7 years and asks them to give them over a grand in plane tickets?
Rant: burned myself at work
rant busy as fuck for brunch
rant entire dinning room ordered at once and the owner was bitching at us through the pass
rant got dumped by the girlfriend when I got home from work via text
rave: none.
(10-10-2017, 01:36 AM)TheKillerSpork.2 Wrote: Rant: A girl that I used to work with at a movie theater in high school, and that i haven't talked with in 7ish years added me on facebook. She starts small talk and then hits me with a request to buy her and her fiance round trip tickets to italy for their honeymoon next summer. They are just too broke to afford it now, but it's their dream. She promises with all her heart she'll pay me back with whatever money they get from the wedding. First of all... I don't even buy myself tickets to Italy. It would be one thing if it were my brother or sister... or even a close friend. But who the fucks hits up someone that they haven't talked to in 7 years and asks them to give them over a grand in plane tickets?

A serial scam artist who has probably sent that to every person she's ever known who might be holding a secret desire to bone her and who hopes that some grand gesture will keep them in her thoughts...

She's probably already found a sucker among the probably hundreds of people she's sent it too.
Small Empires make little people feel big
Rave: doing well in my work and getting great reviews
Rant: getting an increased amount of shit assignments
Ephesians 2:8-10

You can lie, but your boner can't 

Gabe/Gall/SHS
Spork, you should make a post on your facespace calling them out for being such a worthless hoe.

SHS, they give you shitty assignments because Marine Corps and because you are rejecting their sexual advances.
Does somebody just sit down and type out this gobbly-gook or do they use a program to generate it?
(10-14-2017, 08:17 AM)oldwinger Wrote: Does somebody just sit down and type out this gobbly-gook or do they use a program to generate it?

https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/archive/scigen/
Looks like witchcraft.
(10-14-2017, 09:34 AM)Yossarian Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 08:17 AM)oldwinger Wrote: Does somebody just sit down and type out this gobbly-gook or do they use a program to generate it?

https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/archive/scigen/

Or if Cultural Marxism is more your thing http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo/