Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
You Rage You Lose
(05-22-2017, 07:26 PM)Wongtastic Wrote: If right is fucking there, then who's on first?

[Image: NQvtaTC.jpg]
They come with fire,they come with axes...Destroyers&usurpers,curse them. GALL:I hope you get run over by a dumptruck full of babydicks CORVUS:yoss hates&knows everything BAN724:I like how buttmad ppl get about Yoss except if you lie still&listen he is trying to make us all better debaters
Are you high Wong?
Thanks Obama!
I'm chinked

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
[Image: dpo8auk.gif]

(05-06-2016, 02:33 PM)NSFgirl Wrote: You're a terrible person, wongtastic.
Racst fuck
(05-23-2017, 06:06 PM)First Strike Deadly Wrote: Racst fuck

He mad.
Thanks Obama!
It's not racist if you apply it to yourself, amirite?
Yeah,...So?

The TL-ist formerly known as irradiator/irritator/irrigator, etc.
Not when it comes to me calling out natives or Mexicans.
My skin isn't dark enough and I'm not poor.
Ephesians 2:8-10

You can lie, but your boner can't 

Gabe/Gall/SHS
(05-24-2017, 10:07 AM)Strongheartsociety Wrote: Not when it comes to me calling out natives or Mexicans.
My skin isn't dark enough and I'm not poor.

That could make it all the more fun. Troll 'em with some self-racism, then when they go on counter-attack hit 'em with, "OH, YEAH, MUHFUKKAH, I AM NDN AND MEXICAN, NOW WHADDAYA SAY?!?!?!"

Or, y'know, not...
Yeah,...So?

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE ADVISE ME OF A ARGUMENT IN PROGRESS

Also, fuck MTA and NJT and the rest of our crumbling transit infrastructure.
[Image: 8AOXfI5.jpg]
(05-26-2017, 05:46 PM)Tikilounge Wrote: WHY DIDN'T ANYONE ADVISE ME OF A ARGUMENT IN PROGRESS

How 'bout fuck the dipshit politicians that didn't have the foresight to implement better mass transit in the big metropolises? Buses are a thing, but rail could be a lot better. But then again the average 'Murrican is independent enough that he/she will drive solo when it's cheeper to ride with others. I may or may not fall into the latter category, but I live in the sticks/BFE.
Yeah,...So?

(05-26-2017, 10:50 PM)LocomotiveBreath Wrote:
(05-26-2017, 05:46 PM)Tikilounge Wrote: WHY DIDN'T ANYONE ADVISE ME OF A ARGUMENT IN PROGRESS

How 'bout fuck the dipshit politicians that didn't have the foresight to implement better mass transit in the big metropolises? Buses are a thing, but rail could be a lot better. But then again the average 'Murrican is independent enough that he/she will drive solo when it's cheeper to ride with others. I may or may not fall into the latter category, but I live in the sticks/BFE.

Detroit is to blame for that. Auto industry bought up all the streetcars and pushed the personally owned vehicle as an absolute necessity. I think nyc is better off overall without all the elevated lines, but we lost something with them. 
They come with fire,they come with axes...Destroyers&usurpers,curse them. GALL:I hope you get run over by a dumptruck full of babydicks CORVUS:yoss hates&knows everything BAN724:I like how buttmad ppl get about Yoss except if you lie still&listen he is trying to make us all better debaters
(05-27-2017, 02:42 AM)Yossarian Wrote:

Detroit is to blame for that. Auto industry bought up all the streetcars and pushed the personally owned vehicle as an absolute necessity. I think nyc is better off overall without all the elevated lines, but we lost something with them. 

This is actually somewhat false. GM did by up streetcars, but never pushed POV's as a necessity. They pushed for buses which they argued was a vastly cheaper alternative (which was true). Conveniently GM could also build buses.

The GM Trolley Conspiracy: What Really Happened

"The main point of "General Motors and the Demise of Streetcars" and other critics of the conspiracy theory is that trolley systems were replaced by bus systems for economic reasons, not because of a plot. Bus lines were less expensive to operate than trolleys, and far less costly to build because there were no rails. Extending service to rapidly growing suburbs could be accomplished quickly, by simply building a few bus stops, rather than taking years to construct rail lines. So, buses replaced streetcars."

Hot be honest though, street cars are no peach either and were dated technology even back then. A dedicated subway system is where it's at.

http://news.nationalpost.com/toronto/streetcars-nothing-but-outdated-technology-kept-alive-by-political-forces 

http://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits/archives/2016/01/18/lets-be-honest-detroits-m-1-rail-is-shaping-up-to-be-a-streetcar-that-leaves-much-to-be-desired

http://gizmodo.com/streetcars-are-the-great-urban-gimmick-of-our-time-1759474436
OH YOU!

[Image: qVbUArb.gif?noredirect]

(05-27-2017, 02:42 AM)Yossarian Wrote:

[Image: cloverleaf-500x250.png]
Fixed
[Image: 8AOXfI5.jpg]
Streetcars ain't great but if you don't think the auto industry had influence in pushing the image of the cool loner with a car or a car being the ultimate symbol of 'murrican freedom, you must also think the tobacco industry is just an innocent victim of cruel and unusual legislation against marketing.
The death of the streetcar (and the lack of quality mass transit in most places in America) isn't solely to be blamed by auto manufacturers though. Part of the blame (or credit, spending on your opinion) goes to post-WWII urban planning and the rise of the suburb as the "default" American living situation. Urban sprawl and the automobile culture go hand in hand. Their rise was not only complementary, but symbiotic.

(05-28-2017, 07:42 AM)Yossarian Wrote: Streetcars ain't great but if you don't think the auto industry had influence in pushing the image of the cool loner with a car or a car being the ultimate symbol of 'murrican freedom, you must also think the tobacco industry is just an innocent victim of cruel and unusual legislation against marketing.

I wasn't implying they weren't acting in their own interests at all. As I said in the first part of my response, seeing as how they were in the transportation business GM was all but too happy to provide America those newer, shinier, buses being recommended. Street cars were already  dated technology by the 1890's.
OH YOU!

[Image: qVbUArb.gif?noredirect]

How do you feel about urban light rail like Phoenix has?
PHX has a decent light rail that gets us from the in laws house in Tempe thru most of downtown. ASU and Diamondback games mostly. But it's hard to imagine commuting via light rail if you don't live or work near a station. And unless you walk or bicycle to a station, you're already driving there and having to pay for parking anyways. With the temperature regularly breaking 110 in Phoenix, you're inclined to drive your air conditioned car.
King County, aka, Seattle & Suburbs are building a county-wide light rail, which is nice, but a big problem is cost. It's expensive as shit to the tax payers and mostly voted by people who don't know how underused the buses are or don't want to share a bus with "those people". Also, real estate and cost of living in King County is climbing higher and higher, such that people who work in Seattle are becoming less likely to live in or near Seattle. Or close to a station.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Light rail is on street level rails. I wonder where that has been used before. Imagine the cost savings if... The rails hadn't been ripped up by big auto.
I doubt big auto was the reason for the death of street cars anywhere outside of Los Angeles. The problem is urban sprawl and lack of popular enthusiasm for light rail systems.
Here in Miami, a light rail system connecting downtown with where locals actually live would be great, but not enough politicians are getting paid off.

(05-30-2017, 09:57 AM)Yossarian Wrote: Light rail is on street level rails. I wonder where that has been used before. Imagine the cost savings if... The rails hadn't been ripped up by big auto.

Those rails have to be ripped up and replaced every couple of years. So no, there wouldn't be any cost savings.
You still have a revenue stream in that case, the cheapest option would have been to ignore them and let them lie- there's no shortage of old rail just paved over in nyc and Philadelphia and on most military bases predating wwii.
It cost money to rip them up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm far more an advocate for subways or elevated systems, completely separate from street grade, allowing for independent traffic flow. Streetcars and light rail still have to worry about street traffic doing stupid things.
(05-30-2017, 09:00 AM)austinjking Wrote: PHX has a decent light rail that gets us from the in laws house in Tempe thru most of downtown. ASU and Diamondback games mostly. But it's hard to imagine commuting via light rail if you don't live or work near a station. And unless you walk or bicycle to a station, you're already driving there and having to pay for parking anyways. With the temperature regularly breaking 110 in Phoenix, you're inclined to drive your air conditioned car.
King County, aka, Seattle & Suburbs are building a county-wide light rail, which is nice, but a big problem is cost. It's expensive as shit to the tax payers and mostly voted by people who don't know how underused the buses are or don't want to share a bus with "those people". Also, real estate and cost of living in King County is climbing higher and higher, such that people who work in Seattle are becoming less likely to live in or near Seattle. Or close to a station.

There's a lot of bars along the Phoenix light rail.
Glorious glory.

Also, I'm glad I can carry in Az. Fuckin light rail bums.
Ephesians 2:8-10

You can lie, but your boner can't 

Gabe/Gall/SHS
Strongheart, yeah; I've seen some shady shit on the PHX light rail.

Oh, right. The age old argument against access to mass transit. Dirty nasty homeless people stinking up the trains/buses/etc, instead of just congregating under highway overpasses where you can keep your windows rolled up and pretend they don't exist.