Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going to New York
(05-15-2017, 06:54 PM)Yossarian Wrote:
(05-15-2017, 03:40 PM)MajestysPrecious Wrote: I'm not trying to be a bugger here but Raclette is from Switzerland originally and it's really popular in the greater german/french-speaking world. I've been eating it with my family since as long as I can remember... it's really just a slow way to eat a big snack. Doesn't really feel like a meal, just gorging on salt and meat and cheese.

LOL "Bugger"

At no point did NYC claim to invent it.
It's just gaining popularity thanks to hipster cuisine.
Fuck. I fucked up, misunderstood your point.
Psalm 143:12
Throuwn ouff buy ouur lauck ouf euxcess u's, eh?
They come with fire,they come with axes...Destroyers&usurpers,curse them. GALL:I hope you get run over by a dumptruck full of babydicks CORVUS:yoss hates&knows everything BAN724:I like how buttmad ppl get about Yoss except if you lie still&listen he is trying to make us all better debaters
It's amazing what the city did to the World Trade Center area since 9/11. Modernized. A mall built around the station there. Clean.
Wouldn't it be amazing if the city put just a little effort into the rest of the infrastructure.
#MakeNewYorkGreatAgain

Who am I kidding though. People flock here anyways. Why pay money to update stuff.

Arrow Favorite Saké: Gangi 雁木
Join the TL Clash of Clans
Update the infrastructure. By shutting it down to gut and replace it. And then how does everyone get to work in the meantime? Do we shut down the roads to private traffic to accommodate the fleet of buses you'll need to add?

Most of the subway system is more than a century old. And asides from when the governor wants to wave his dick around for a potential snowfall, it doesn't shut down.

Seriously, what's your proposal for modernizing?
They come with fire,they come with axes...Destroyers&usurpers,curse them. GALL:I hope you get run over by a dumptruck full of babydicks CORVUS:yoss hates&knows everything BAN724:I like how buttmad ppl get about Yoss except if you lie still&listen he is trying to make us all better debaters
Start by shutting down the train system between midnight and 5am daily and completing preventive maintenance during those hours. Stop shitting down lines on the weekend.
Shut down entire stations and redesign them, with elevators, and escalators.
Implement a rfid card system that ca be used on all transportation systems regardless of company (I.e. I should be able to use a single card to ride the ferry, the metro, path, yellow cab, and others)
Get rid of the ancient turnstiles that lock up all the time.
But it's been running the same for 100 years. People keep coming and just bearing the inconveniences.
It's funny they poured all that money into the new yankee stadium, which isn't even that great of a stadium anyways (what's with the lame memorial in centerfield?), a and did nothing to improve the surrounding train station. It would have been cool to incorporate the station into the stadium. Instead itheres a rusty train line and dilapidated station next to the Yankees monument.

You realize people are still working and coming home from work and going to work at those hours, right?
The weekend is the best time for those shutdowns because there's less traffic on the roads allowing for use of shuttle buses.
The ferries you pay for (asides from the newest ones) aren't city controlled- you don't pay for the staten island ferry.
The PATH isn't MTA, that's like asking Mexico to switch to the dollar because you don't like recognizing that they're a separate country. Their fare schedule is different, but they have a metrocard system in place. I don't know if it's integrated with our unlimited cards or not.

Yellow cabs are fucking privately owned and operated. You want to tap to pay with your credit card or phone, boom, they already did that, but don't expect them to take your metrocard.

You wanna gripe about how funding is allocated for transit infrastructure upgrades and maintenance, take it up with Cuomo. They don't let the city run this.
Surprised you didn't gripe about metro North or lirr costing more than the subway within city limits.
I don't use those systems.
Funny though you can use the metro card in Japan for all those things between cabs, different train companies, buses, etc. Again, very doable and would make life easier, a single card to get around instead of worrying about weather the ticket machine is working today or so I have to get in line.
Don't get me started on costs either. Everything is way too expensive. I could ride between Kyoto and Osaka, 35 miles distance, for $4. MTA charges almost the same to travel anywhere in the city. Should be $1-$2 to travel within a borough.
New York has a lot of fixing up to do. Unfortunately, no one is willing to pay for it. And it won't be until a bridge falls into the river or a tunnel collapses before anything is done about it.

Again, take it up with the Governor. They don't care about funding downstate infrastructure, they just want our tax dollars. We can't make progress on infrastructure improvements because of the rich and the senile pulling the NIMBY card.

And you can set up an automatic renewal on a monthly unlimited and not have that problem. Or you could remember, like most people do. Or you could just load a massive cash balance on there. You pay for taxis with real money. There was a contactless fast pass type thing on the 4/5/6 line in the mid 2000s, but I dunno why that didn't take off. Contactless payment is being reintroduced in the near future.

NYC introduced the durable reusable card in the early 90s, overhauling to contactless hasn't been a cost effective thing yet.

Also you keep comparing the most complex mass transit system in the world to a small island nation that got to start from scratch 70 years ago. We had portions of our system turning 50 by that time!
[Image: NYC_metro_Map%25281%2529.gif]

[Image: 44463421.tokyotrain.jpg]

Most complex? This map is even missing some train lines. And I can use one card on all of them.
PATH train can't even operate a train between its 13 stations without dicking it up.
Luckily I only have a year left to work in this shit hole city.

Fleet Week by the way starts today
http://militarynews.com/app/fleetweeknewyork/events.html

You keep crying about the path. Which is a new jersey thing.
The nyc subway is built from the remains of three different competing companies, plus the si one which hardly counts, and the elevated trains used to have a shitload more routes and another company (or two).

Bringing everything to a grinding halt to accommodate slinky who misses nihingo dong in his every hole while supporting a metro area of 20+M (+tourists) is not a viable option.

We do it differently here in freedomland, and we won the war.
For satire, this speaks truth.
http://www.theonion.com/article/84-million-new-yorkers-suddenly-realize-new-york-c-18003
"This place is fucking insane. And by the way, that's not a reason to like it. Anyone who says that is a delusional dirtbag."

(05-24-2017, 05:22 AM)Yossarian Wrote: You keep crying about the path. Which is a new jersey thing.
The nyc subway is built from the remains of three different competing companies, plus the si one which hardly counts, and the elevated trains used to have a shitload more routes and another company (or two).

Bringing everything to a grinding halt to accommodate slinky who misses nihingo dong in his every hole while supporting a metro area of 20+M (+tourists) is not a viable option.

We do it differently here in freedomland, and we won the war.

First off, it's, "Nihon-jin." Also, this is the limiting thing about American society. Stuff that is good for society at large (the collective) gets nixed by ppl howling 'muh freedom!' (this will also kill a National Health-type system). There is such a thing as balance, unfortunately it is difficult to achieve with large groups of humans.
Yeah,...So?

The TL-ist formerly known as irradiator/irritator/irrigator, etc.
Contactless payment in New York. it has been around longer than Japan I guess.

Contactless payment in Japan, introduced in 2007 after New York, but is now available at every station in Tokyo, and practically every station throughout Japan.

Despite being ranked first in worldwide subway usage, subways make up a small fraction of heavy rail rapid transit in Tokyo alone—only 274 out of 882 railway stations, as of 2007.

Movement between subway and rail lines is rather seamless too.

You've all made me not want to go to New York ever.
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back.
Mission Accomplished

Nothing here that you can't do anywhere else except see some historical landmarks. And be prepared to stand in line and pay too much money.
Went by the Flat Iron building yesterday and was wondering why nearly every window in that place had an a/c unit hanging out of it.
Also I got stuck behind some fat lady who stopped on the stairs while I was carrying a baby stroller. Fat lady decided it would be a good idea to stop 3/4 of the way up and block everyone from getting the fuck out of the station. Good thing this city hates those who are handicap, pregnant, or with children. And when there is an elevator it reeks of homeless piss or doesn't work.
What do people from this city say? Only in New York!

A building from 1902 doesn't have central air? A subway built around or before wwi isn't ADA compliant?
THE SKY IS BLUE?!
Do you go to Rome and bitch that all the side streets are too narrow for a hmmwv?
For a city that is so progressive...

You keep using that word. I think perhaps it does not mean what you think it means.
NYC? Rome?

Bwhahahahaha

The two don't even compare. NYC is, what, a few centuries old?
We're ahead of our time. Floating through...
The sky is falling down. This night belongs to you.
Thank you for that. You're from Nebraska, right? Which wasn't discovered until 1978.
Hey slink, look, Japan is bringing ramen to NYC.
http://gothamist.com/2017/05/30/iekei-style_ramen_eak.php
Those are some national geographic shaped titties
http://nypost.com/2017/06/28/some-subways-literally-held-together-with-zip-ties/

Hahaha. Fuck this city.

Was just in London for a week and the transportation system there was also 100 times better than anything New York has to offer.
No excuse.

(07-01-2017, 06:55 AM)Slinky Wrote: http://nypost.com/2017/06/28/some-subways-literally-held-together-with-zip-ties/

Hahaha.  Fuck this city.  

Was just in London for a week and the transportation system there was also 100 times better than anything New York has to offer.
No excuse.

You keep comparing NYC's subway system to those of cities that were bombed the fuck out of when parts of ours were already turning 50. In countries that put far more value into the concept of "maintaining infrastructure" as a result.

It's also only got 11 lines, and services ~4.8M passengers a day. NYC's system has double the lines, far more mileage overall, DOES NOT SHUT DOWN, and hauls a million more bodies on the regular.
(07-01-2017, 01:55 PM)Yossarian Wrote:
(07-01-2017, 06:55 AM)Slinky Wrote: http://nypost.com/2017/06/28/some-subways-literally-held-together-with-zip-ties/

Hahaha.  Fuck this city.  

No excuse.

You keep comparing NYC's subway system to those of cities that were bombed the fuck out of when parts of ours were already turning 50. In countries that put far more value into the concept of "maintaining infrastructure" as a result.

It's also only got 11 lines, and services ~4.8M passengers a day. NYC's system has double the lines, far more mileage overall, DOES NOT SHUT DOWN, and hauls a million more bodies on the regular.

Don't think the tube was "bombed the fuck out of" in ww2. 

not to mention it was built 150 years ago and still gets updates...

Just admit it Yoss, everyone else keeps updating their shit whilst NYC is stagnant.