Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask a cop.
Do you notice a difference in driving style from other people when you're in your patrol car compared to your POV or UC?

Do you get annoyed at people driving super slow in front of you when you just want to go somewhere else?

What are some things you do to screw with other drivers when bored?
(03-18-2015, 09:31 AM)Wrecker Wrote: Do you notice a difference in driving style from other people when you're in your patrol car compared to your POV or UC?

Do you get annoyed at people driving super slow in front of you when you just want to go somewhere else?

What are some things you do to screw with other drivers when bored?

Oh yes. A huge difference. I can probably get across town faster in a UC car than I can in a marked unit unless I'm running code. Even then though, people do the dumbest shit in front of a police car, because they get stuck on stupid. Lots of times if I'm headed to something hot in a marked car, I wil only use the lights sparingly. 

That is such an annoyance, I can't even describe it. Yes, I'm a cop. Yes, I happen to be behind you. Just drive normally!

I don't really do much like that honestly. We've played games on shift before (who can stop the most blue cars, stuff like that, but as far as just messing with people super troopers style? Yeah, we don't do much of that without having a legit reason first. I have however pulled over friends I  mine when I see them driving thing through town, just to fuck wit  them. 
[Image: military_signature-1.png]
IIRC Mick's department drives a Caprice cop car with a fuckhueg engine with insane horsepower. My local department drives Taurus derivatives that cops absolutely hate because they're underpowered without the Ecoboost engine and AWD, and are absolutely tiny in the front seats. My question is: if you could drive anything as as a cruiser, what would it be?

From my knowledge cops miss the old Crown Vics. I'm not sure if they have made a police Tahoe with 4WD, but they seem to like the new Explorers.
The Caprice is leaps and bounds a better police car than the CVPI. i like the crown Vic, but that was 90's tech in a 21st century world. It was time to move on, and the Caprice PPV is I think the best cruiser out of what's available now. The Taurus is small inside, same with the impala, the Tahoe PPV is needlessly huge and the 4wd version isn't pursuit rated. The Exploder is ok but doesn't handle nearly as well as the Caprice and it's just set up wonky inside. All the room you should be able to use is to your left, between you and the door. It's odd in there. The Chargers are awesome cars too but the visibility out of them sucks.

Out of what's available, I would choose the Caprice every time.
I figured you would want to drive a Silverado. How does one get selected for different divisions such as narcotics or vice?

How are identity theft crimes handled?

What about other white collar crimes?

How often do people actually resist being arrested?

How much free ammo do you get to shoot monthly?
Why does it seem like cops love to shoot dogs so often? I just read a story about cops entering the wrong home and blasting some dude's service dog. I also know somebody whose dog was shot by police. It's in the news all the time. Are you guys trained to shoot anything with four legs, or are some of these guys just assholes?
look out butt, here comes my finger.<br /><br />
(01-26-2014, 07:46 AM)npr Wrote:<br />Never get in a pissing contest with a skunk<br />
(03-22-2015, 06:08 PM)CPD Wrote: I figured you would want to drive a Silverado. How does one get selected for different divisions such as narcotics or vice?

How are identity theft crimes handled?

What about other white collar crimes?

How often do people actually resist being arrested?

How much free ammo do you get to shoot monthly?

At my department, it's a combination of being in the right place at the right time and showing the motivation to do something with the special position. 

We take a report of the theft, and if another agency (cc company other LE, etc) wants to do something about it, we cooperate with their investigation. It's almost impossible to track any sort of ID theft when you have the limited resources we do. 

My partner will investigate some frauds and bad checks, stuff like that. Other white collar stuff we turn over to County Polce detectives usually, unless it's big enough to get the Feds involved. 

More often than you'd think, but not usually in the sense that they actually take a swing. Pushing, pulling away, running, shoving, all can be construed as resisting depending on the totality of the circumstances. 

None. I get 50 rounds free yearly. Yearly. That we shoot at annual qualifications. Any other shooting I do is on my own dime. 

(03-23-2015, 06:47 AM)Beavis Wrote: Why does it seem like cops love to shoot dogs so often? I just read a story about cops entering the wrong home and blasting some dude's service dog. I also know somebody whose dog was shot by police. It's in the news all the time. Are you guys trained to shoot anything with four legs, or are some of these guys just assholes?

Lots of people are afraid of dogs. More afraid of dogs than they are of people. Some of the instances are undoubtedly cases of shooting too quickly, but if a cop is lawfully there and a dog goes after him the cop is justified in protecting himself. I've shot two in my career, both hugely aggressive dogs that had already bit someone and and were a danger to others. What options  would you suggest?
I'm not saying you dont need to shoot them sometimes, I just think you should have to use the same rules you would use for a human.
look out butt, here comes my finger.<br /><br />
(01-26-2014, 07:46 AM)npr Wrote:<br />Never get in a pissing contest with a skunk<br />
if someone comes after me trying to commit an aggravated assault (cause me serious bodily injury) I am justified in shooting them. Same for a dog. Our options for dealing with them are pretty limited in that I'm not going to try to go hands on with a dog because getting that close means you're gonna get bit. Kinda like a person with a knife. If they're aggresive and acting like they are gonna stab you or someone else, you put them down. You don't piss around with less lethal options unless there are multiple officers present and you've got the time to set it up. Not arguing with you, just trying to answer your question.
Seems like it would be extra common to shoot dogs if there was a police dog present. To prevent another dog from jumping on it or giving it any diseases or anything. I mean is this assumption correct?

In Iraq, taking anyone with a four legged Marine meant dog shooting a plenty. But the dogs over there werent pets or anything. I like dogs, just not really mange ridden diseased strays. Its not like I was throwing puppies off cliffs or anything. A few times on night patrols as the last man, I noticed groups of maybe 5 to 10 strays silently following me from about 20 meters away. Wasnt sure if they were looking for scraps or waiting on me to fall behind lol.
Yeah K9 guys are pretty protective of their partners. We've used fire extinguishers or pepper spray on dogs to good effect in the past when serving death warrants, but to know to bring those with us Youve gotta know there's dogs in the house to start with. We try to play for that shit, but I'm not gonna drag a fucking fire extinguisher with me on every search warrant, and I'm not gonna back off at the last second because a dog comes down the hall toward me. I'm not quick to pull the trigger on a dog, and I like dogs far more than most people, but if it's a choice between the dogs life and one of my guys getting bit, I'm shooting the dog every time.

Edit: Holy fuck my iPhone changed "search" warrants to "death" warrants. That's it, I'm calling off tomorrow's op. I don't fuck around with signs fr the infinite.
Now for the cop equivalent of "So did you kill anyone?"

Have you ever been in a gunfight or otherwise had to shoot someone as a cop?
Nope. Have come very, very close on at least three occasions, but all three at the last minute decided to drop the gun instead of fighting it out.
That's fortunate.
I thought you shot a guy 24 times with a 1911 but he lived so you switched to Glock thinking it would improve your aim?

[Image: big-u-usmc-pistol-marksman-badge-7301.png]

Smile
[Image: 8AOXfI5.jpg]
A
(03-23-2015, 01:45 PM)soup Wrote: That's fortunate.

Depends on your definition of fortunate. If you mean fortunate that I didn't have to deal with the aftermath, being raked across the coals and having my decisions picked apart by moday morning quarterbacks, all while being tried and convicted by the media prior to any actual evidence of wrongdoing being presented, then yes, you're correct. 

If you mean fortunate for the bad guys because they are still alive, again you're correct. 

If you mean fortunate for society, no, you'd be wrong. Two out of the three are already out of jail and victimizing others. The third is serving life, and is a drain on our tax dollars when he should have received the death penalty. 

(03-23-2015, 02:04 PM)Tikilounge Wrote: I thought you shot a guy 24 times with a 1911 but he lived so you switched to Glock thinking it would improve your aim?

[Image: big-u-usmc-pistol-marksman-badge-7301.png]

Smile

Bitch I never once shot a pizza box. I was a sixth award sexpert brah. 
Fortunate for the 1st reason, Mickey. U so fine.
Joking bro, but what ever happened to that douchebag who was shot up with .45's and walked away? Like who picks up the tab when these assholes go to the hospital?
I gotcha man. Two out of three I'm still mad about. Sorry if I came off a little touchy. Should've pulled the trigger, would've been completely justified, but on the first I was too much of a rookie to know better and the second I actually let the thought of the following days potential headlines cloud my judgement.

Tiki I know dude I raffed. The bills are paid by your tax dollars man.
What do most LEO's prefer people do when doing a traffic stop?

Do most look at showing the Mil ID as douche baggary?

What's the fastest you clocked some guy speeding?
(03-23-2015, 03:46 PM)Wrecker Wrote: What do most LEO's prefer people do when doing a traffic stop?

Do most look at showing the Mil ID as douche baggary?

What's the fastest you clocked some guy speeding?

Interior lights on, hands on the wheel, no sudden movements, and when instructed to do so explain where you're reaching to and what for. Above all, please remain calm. Calm breeds calm and you being all nervous and jittery is going to add to the cops nerves. 

It depends on how you go about it. If you try to throw it in the cops face like you're expecting a break, you're probably screwing yourself. If you approach it humbly and say something about it like "man, my command is gonna kill me for this...I'm in the service, do you think you could help me out?" That's gonna get you further ahead. 

Highest speed limit in my town is 25, lol. We have one place we have lines for the accutrack, and the fastest I've seen someoneone cross them would be about 55-60. I never was much for running traffic.  
(03-23-2015, 02:58 PM)silverado_mick Wrote: Tiki I know dude I raffed. The bills are paid by your tax dollars man.

Are they ordered to pay restitution at sentencing? 

Does this come out of your departments budget? 
Nope. Critical health care cannot be refused by hospitals for momentary reasons. That money comes from the fed (I think, not really sure). They can be ordered to pay restitution but enforcing that order is difficult at best. Can't get blood from a stone, and the jails are just too full to hold everyone who owes money.
HA! "momentary" I know that was a typo but I had a appropriate laugh
Lol the iPhone 6 does way more weird autocorrecting than my 4 ever did. Maybe it's just the learning curve with the keyboard. I dunno