Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask a cop.
Fire away...again. 
[Image: military_signature-1.png]
1.) Why did you want to be a cop?

2.) Do people give you funny looks?

3.) Has it affected your social life in a positive or negative way? (I.e. how people look at you?)
1.) Because when I got out of the Corps, I couldn't imagine not carrying a gun for a living. My wife balked at the idea of me re-upping or extending to go back for a third tour, so this was our compromise.

2.) I guess it all depends on why they are seeing me?

3.) I lost a couple of friends (not very good ones) and my lifestyle changed a little. Really though, not much changed. I've always been fortunate in that I choose my friends well, and the ones I've had since before this stupid fucking job can't imagine me doing anything else because they know me that well.
Posting to follow, Plus I like how Mick articulates the job's aspects.
How often have you had to arrest former Marines?

What's the most enjoyable part of your job? (Besides driving really fast with sirens on and free ammo)

Are the IRS chicks the hottest out of all the federal agencies you have to work with in your experience?
(02-28-2015, 12:56 PM)0352SucksDick Wrote: How often have you had to arrest former Marines?

What's the most enjoyable part of your job? (Besides driving really fast with sirens on and free ammo)

Are the IRS chicks the hottest out of all the federal agencies you have to work with in your experience?

Once or twice that I can remember I've had to deal with former Marines on the job. I always to to cut prior service folks a break if I can, but sometimes it can't be helped.

Just like in the Corps, the best part of the job is the people I work with. Sure there's some shitbags, but most of the cops I work closely with are really good people who go to work and try to do their best to do the right thing every day. Hopefully this doesn't sound trite, but there's a lot of Honor and courage going around in blue suits out there. I like being around that caliber of person professionally.

Yes.
(02-27-2015, 09:15 PM)Vahagn Wrote: 1.) Why did you want to be a cop?

2.) Do people give you funny looks?

3.) Has it affected your social life in a positive or negative way? (I.e. how people look at you?)
Been doing it for 35 years now.  I'm officially a dinosaur and about to become extinct.  It was a good fit for a former Marine grunt.  I liked the paramilitary structure, I press my uniform and shine my boots.  I still PT regularly, do personal training part time, and look good in uniform

Funny looks are part of the experience.  Kids tend to stare, and I still rage when parents point to me and say "you better be good or he will put you in jail."  Nothing like fostering mistrust and fear at a young age. 

I try to hang out with people outside of law enforcement.  I think this has kept me from being cynical and jaded toward the general public.  Most people I have arrested will approach me and shake my hand.  My wife is always amazed by this but I always treat people with dignity, if they will let me.

As I've become older and more libertarian in my beliefs, I detest enforcing "nanny state" laws.  This has caused a conflict with my job.  I am looking to retire soon.  I have had to arrest some active or retired Marines, but I always try to give them a break if at all possible.  I know it sucks to be double penetrated by the big green and big blue weenie.
Dude, you and I would get along. As a relatively young guy on the job (I'm at nine years total) I'm afraid that I'm already gonna burn out way before I'm close to being done. I do still love this gig, but I hate it a lot too. How the hell do I stick this out for the next 16 years or so without eating a gun?
Either one of you use the Andy Griffith approach when you arrest people? The director at my academy and our DT instructor were all about it, and I'm curious to see how widespread it is.

Oh, and how's things looking these days after the media fiasco last year? Any big changes coming down the line? I'm kind of out of the loop since I'm not working anywhere yet.
Beltayn: I wish I was gay. I would be the blowjob KING
ThunderCookies: bitch steps outta line she's getting a hot ass thunder cookie to the face
TD: I'm going to have my own little stable of squires
Mick I know you've heard it before but bring nothing home, leave the job at the station. I had a rule Momma and the girls had to give me time to at least put my gear away and eat some thing first if they needed me to deal with things. Do you have an option to bid on a different assignment?

Playing Andy can help with practice but it all comes down to what the customer prefers, Be on your guard.

The media is always there, right now they are quiet.
Winger thanks for the advice man. As far as bidding a different job I wish that's how it worked here. I have what most people would consider a sweet gig in narcotics. Problem is that it's not all it's cracked up to be, the bosses are unreasonable, and I'm stuck here by appointment of the chief, so no getting out of it really. I suppose I could push the issue if it gets too bad, but I don't like the idea of committing career suicide right now.

I'd rather talk people into cuffs than fight them, but some people don't understand anything short of physical persuasion. If possible, I always try to go the easy route first. Work smarter not harder, rah?

Fuck the media. Fuck them in their stupid asses. No big changes that I know if yet, they are still lecherous fucks who will ass rape their mothers to sell a story.
(03-01-2015, 06:28 AM)silverado_mick Wrote: Fuck the media. Fuck them in their stupid asses. No big changes that I know if yet, they are still lecherous fucks who will ass rape their mothers to sell a story.

I think the media is a double edged sword, here's two articles from the same newspaper about the same agency one praising their work on a drug bust:

Cops are awesome

And the other basically calling them idiots for not arrested a wanted person:

Cops are idiots

I mean if you screwed up and they talk about it big deal, it's when they then dig into every aspect of your life and make you out to be a terrible person hell bent on suppressing minorities (or whatever makes you happy) that the media becomes an issue.  It's the pull for ratings and the need for 24 hour news coverage.
(03-01-2015, 12:18 AM)silverado_mick Wrote: Dude, you and I would get along. As a relatively young guy on the job (I'm at nine years total) I'm afraid that I'm already gonna burn out way before I'm close to being done. I do still love this gig, but I hate it a lot too. How the hell do I stick this out for the next 16 years or so without eating a gun?

I've been a fan of your articulate post for while.  The best way to not go insane is to hang out with "regular" folks to keep a perspective of the real world.  Also, don't compromise doing what you feel is the right way to handle a situation vs what the letter of the law is.  You might piss off your higher ups, but you will sleep better and like yourself more.
(03-01-2015, 04:04 PM)robocop58 Wrote:
(03-01-2015, 12:18 AM)silverado_mick Wrote: Dude, you and I would get along. As a relatively young guy on the job (I'm at nine years total) I'm afraid that I'm already gonna burn out way before I'm close to being done. I do still love this gig, but I hate it a lot too. How the hell do I stick this out for the next 16 years or so without eating a gun?

I've been a fan of your articulate post for while.  The best way to not go insane is to hang out with "regular" folks to keep a perspective of the real world.  Also, don't compromise doing what you feel is the right way to handle a situation vs what the letter of the law is.  You might piss off your higher ups, but you will sleep better and like yourself more.

This, having been involved in LEO work for a little over ten years I can honestly say having friends outside of law enforcement helps.  I also believe in the Spirit of the Law over ruling the Letter of the Law in most situations.
I'm totally on board with all that, and that's how I do things as well. I'm just getting really tired of being fucked by higher ups, expected to do more with less, the courts turning everything into a probation case, and very few people involved in the process giving a fuck. My leadership sucks, is the main thing.

So far since this time last year they've taken away my ability to make extra money for the work I do, most of my court pay, my take home car, and they put me back in uniform two days a week. Since my position is an appointment by the chief I can't even opt out. So as it stands now I do UC/detective work, get paid as a base patrolman, am capped on overtime, don't get paid to go to court, and I have to go all the way to the station to pick up a pool car every morning before I actually can begin my day. The whole reason I said yes to this position was because of the nice perks that came with it, but now the only one left is that I work mon-fri with weekends off most of the time (unless I get called out). Top all that off with the fact that the chief still stands around with his hand out wanted me to give him something for nothing. I'm just tired of it.

TL/DR: my chief is the most selfish person I've ever met, and I'm disgruntled.
(03-02-2015, 07:18 AM)silverado_mick Wrote: I'm totally on board with all that, and that's how I do things as well. I'm just getting really tired of being fucked by higher ups, expected to do more with less, the courts turning everything into a probation case, and very few people involved in the process giving a fuck. My leadership sucks, is the main thing.

So far since this time last year they've taken away my ability to make extra money for the work I do, most of my court pay, my take home car, and they put me back in uniform two days a week. Since my position is an appointment by the chief I can't even opt out. So as it stands now I do UC/detective work, get paid as a base patrolman, am capped on overtime, don't get paid to go to court, and I have to go all the way to the station to pick up a pool car every morning before I actually can begin my day. The whole reason I said yes to this position was because of the nice perks that came with it, but now the only one left is that I work mon-fri with weekends off most of the time (unless I get called out). Top all that off with the fact that the chief still stands around with his hand out wanted me to give him something for nothing. I'm just tired of it.

TL/DR: my chief is the most selfish person I've ever met, and I'm disgruntled.

That sucks, you should come work for the Federal Government we get paid to sit around and play on TL while we're at work... and I have a nice brand new shiny patrol car (that gets hot seated), and was given $1800 to buy new uniforms, and $600 a year to maintain them... plus we have built in overtime and unlimited overtime...

This is something that is making me want to persue something else.
Every guy I know with 10+ years in is jaded and burned the fuck out and doesn't recommend the job to anyone.
True that. Sometimes I have to stop and spend time with the kids actually doing the right thing and learn their names and encourage them to stay on track, Its a shame sometimes that I know all the assholes by name unfortunately. Spending time with the special needs kids does a good job of decompressing me and helps me keep my perspective straight.
So, the taser positioning that I'm noticing on cops here in NC.

Is the cross-draw really viable, like if you're a right handed shooter with your taser on the front of your left hip, or outside your left hip, and have to reach across for it..

It just seems awkward to me. Why is it worn that way?

I've seen other guys who mount the taser in front of or behind their service weapons as well.
Just a dumb grunt.
(03-02-2015, 10:44 AM)Handicap Wrote: So, the taser positioning that I'm noticing on cops here in NC.

Is the cross-draw really viable, like if you're a right handed shooter with your taser on the front of your left hip, or outside your left hip, and have to reach across for it..

I've seen other guys who mount the taser in front of or behind their service weapons as well.

Taser cross draw keeps it from being confused for a pistol... muscle memory draw aim pull trigger... whoops that wasn't my taser...
(03-02-2015, 10:46 AM)Cpl Verde Wrote:
(03-02-2015, 10:44 AM)Handicap Wrote: So, the taser positioning that I'm noticing on cops here in NC.

Taser cross draw keeps it from being confused for a pistol... muscle memory draw aim pull trigger... whoops that wasn't my taser...

That's where I wore mine when I carried one.  Not awkward at all as long as you're not 400 lbs and shaped like a beach ball.  I always discourage rookies from strong side taser carry.  I'd hate to reach for a taser and come up with a pistol, or even worse reach for a pitsol and come up with a taser.  I know you should be able to train that away, but why not hedge your bets that much more?
(03-02-2015, 11:09 AM)silverado_mick Wrote:

That's where I wore mine when I carried one.  Not awkward at all as long as you're not 400 lbs and shaped like a beach ball.  I always discourage rookies from strong side taser carry.  I'd hate to reach for a taser and come up with a pistol, or even worse reach for a pitsol and come up with a taser.  I know you should be able to train that away, but why not hedge your bets that much more?

You're so much more eloquent than I am. I bet your reports never get kicked back...
What's the most money/drugs/weapons you've come across during a raid? What about during a routine traffic stop?

How often do cops quit and enter a different career field before 10 years?

What are some interesting things you've learned about criminal organizations you've investigated or had contact with?
(03-02-2015, 11:16 AM)Cpl Verde Wrote:

You're so much more eloquent than I am. I bet your reports never get kicked back...

The downside of being able to tell stories in print is that I'm elected to write most of our affidavits and reports.
(03-02-2015, 12:46 PM)silverado_mick Wrote:
(03-02-2015, 11:16 AM)Cpl Verde Wrote:

The downside of being able to tell stories in print is that I'm elected to write most of our affidavits and reports.

My Captain wants me to write a grant proposal for money to purchase assault rifles... Problem is we're the DoD and can technically just have them allocated to use through the 1033 program... dumbass

So here's a random question, do any of you keep newspaper articles from your arrests/cases? Or like articles that mention you specifically? My buddy is a deputy and has started collecting articles from our local paper that involve him, I just want to know if he's the only one.