Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
MECEP Thread
Am I retarded for turning down my reenlistment bonus so I can get this package submitted? I hate money.
(06-22-2015, 06:04 AM)dotKev Wrote: Am I retarded for turning down my reenlistment bonus so I can get this package submitted? I hate money.

No.  Stay the course - stay motivated.  The juice is worth the squeeze.

Sing like no one is listening, dance like no one is watching, and poop like no one is in the next stall.

Handicapable: Jesus, if you're an O you get awards like they're motrin at a Corpsman parade.
-----------------------------

[Image: WE5D25k.gif]
I wouldn't say you made a "bad" choice. It depends on what your goals are.

If you intend to stay in the Marine Corps no matter what then yes, you are stupid to turn down the money. You could have taken the bonus and waited for one more board. 

If you want to get out if you can't go officer (understandable, I was in the same boat) then you made the right move.
Appreciate the feedback. I don't plan on staying in forever but I will be re-enlisting anyway so I guess I fall under the stupid category. Oh well, I can live with it. Among the lowest bonuses in the Marine Corps anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Anyone know how much longer us board 1's can expect to wait? Board convened June 22nd...going crazy over here!
Based on the results of the previous boards, it looks to be around a month or so of waiting for the MARADMIN.
Well boys, myself and the other OCC 219 candidates are 6 weeks into OCS with under 4 weeks remaining, so we're pretty much a wealth of knowledge about what goes on here. If y'all have questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer. Just bear in mind that the only time I get my phone is on the weekend. Anyway, if you guys have questions, fire away!
The user formerly known as Hoad.
How many billets have you had and is it really a lot of B&U?
(07-11-2015, 02:02 PM)slap_bump_roll Wrote: How many billets have you had and is it really a lot of B&U?

It depends. It's gets rotated through the member of your platoon, and CO staff through every platoon in the CO. But I say that by the end you should have done at least 3... I'm on my 4th one now. 
And yes. B&u pick up toward the middle of training. And it's tough, for some slow ones like me lol. You just gotta push. I'd recommend to those of you that will be coming in the future to actually train a lot in b&u. I didn't and I'm hurting. It is physically challenging
(07-11-2015, 03:24 PM)RAB Wrote:
(07-11-2015, 02:02 PM)slap_bump_roll Wrote: How many billets have you had and is it really a lot of B&U?

It depends. It's gets rotated through the member of your platoon, and CO staff through every platoon in the CO. But I say that by the end you should have done at least 3... I'm on my 4th one now. 
And yes. B&u pick up toward the middle of training. And it's tough, for some slow ones like me lol. You just gotta push. I'd recommend to those of you that will be coming in the future to actually train a lot in b&u. I didn't and I'm hurting. It is physically challenging

If you work lots of running with bodyweight exercises you'll be fine. It's not a place built for bulk.

As for billets, I recall doing maybe two billets? 
Maradmin is up, and I'm one of the 19! Thanks for all your help guys.
Congrats! Hopefully the number of selections is just due to the first board being on a shorter timeline. Impatiently awaiting for board two results...
(07-15-2015, 06:46 PM)dotKev Wrote: Congrats! Hopefully the number of selections is just due to the first board being on a shorter timeline. Impatiently awaiting for board two results...

I feel like that is very likely considering the example was changed mar15 and package was due to HQ apr27...
True. I sent you a PM by the way.
Has anyone heard anything about the Funding letter for this new group of Misfits going to OCS 220? Trying to get everything done in regards to going, but no one will do anything because there under the impression I could still get dropped by BUMED. Got to love the Corps and their doubts.
(08-07-2015, 11:01 AM)jroberts4 Wrote: Has anyone heard anything about the Funding letter for this new group of Misfits going to OCS 220? Trying to get everything done in regards to going, but no one will do anything because there under the impression I could still get dropped by BUMED. Got to love the Corps and their doubts.

Ms. Spencer told me that you're good on BUMED unless they contact you about it. Also, funding letter may not post until September but there's no set timeline.
(08-07-2015, 11:48 AM)slap_bump_roll Wrote:
(08-07-2015, 11:01 AM)jroberts4 Wrote: Has anyone heard anything about the Funding letter for this new group of Misfits going to OCS 220? Trying to get everything done in regards to going, but no one will do anything because there under the impression I could still get dropped by BUMED. Got to love the Corps and their doubts.

Ms. Spencer told me that you're good on BUMED unless they contact you about it. Also, funding letter may not post until September but there's no set timeline.

That's what I tried to tell them, but I'm just a mere Sergeant, what do I know. I also have been in contact with Ms. Spencer as well as a couple out civilians that play roles in the process and from what I have gathered if anyone else didn't know or maybe knows more details is that the funding letter will go to the email you put on the contact form. Time frame, as you put it, no timeline. Was just trying to maybe get some insight on maybe previous time frames so I can plan accordingly.
Hey guys I am joining in on this struggling journey. I will be submitting for board 3. Who is all planning on submitting in Dec? Anyone got any good info or templates for LORs or anything? I am willing to help out in any way possible. I will be checking this site daily! Good luck to everyone applying.
(08-13-2015, 11:51 PM)Squirrel4 Wrote: Hey guys I am joining in on this struggling journey.  I will be submitting for board 3.  Who is all planning on submitting in Dec?  Anyone got any good info or templates for LORs or anything?  I am willing to help out in any way possible.  I will be checking this site daily!  Good luck to everyone applying.

I just got accepted on this last board and I had an LOR from a Major, Sergeant Major and 1st Lt. In a nut shell they used basic administration format and said that they would gladly serve with me as an officer. Biggest advice I can give that I had the most trouble with is to stay on people. My package failed twice to even make it up the chain of command because people forgot deadlines.
(08-14-2015, 12:04 AM)jroberts4 Wrote:
(08-13-2015, 11:51 PM)Squirrel4 Wrote: Hey guys I am joining in on this struggling journey.  I will be submitting for board 3.  Who is all planning on submitting in Dec?  Anyone got any good info or templates for LORs or anything?  I am willing to help out in any way possible.  I will be checking this site daily!  Good luck to everyone applying.

I just got accepted on this last board and I had an LOR from a Major, Sergeant Major and 1st Lt. In a nut shell they used basic administration format and said that they would gladly serve with me as an officer. Biggest advice I can give that I had the most trouble with is to stay on people. My package failed twice to even make it up the chain of command because people forgot deadlines.

I appreciate the feeding jroberts.  I am at an air wing right now.  A lot of officers which is actually turning out to work in my favor.  They are all very helpful.  The CO is helpful as well.  Were you doing any school at the time you submitted your package?  I am attending the Penn State World Campus (online).  How should I let the board know that I am currently taking classes at an NROTC schoo?  Thanks again for the info!
I was not taking any classes. My second enlistment I was on I-I and did 30 credits of online college. I just had that. As far as letting the board know that you are currently attending a college with an ROTC, maybe put a transcript of active classes in with your package? Not to sure about that one brother. I would just try to get some enlisted as well just so it shows the boards it's not just the officer community. That is however, just my opinion as I'm not on the board so I could be completely wrong.
(08-14-2015, 12:15 AM)jroberts4 Wrote: I was not taking any classes. My second enlistment I was on I-I and did 30 credits of online college. I just had that. As far as letting the board know that you are currently attending a college with an ROTC, maybe put a transcript of active classes in with your package? Not to sure about that one brother. I would just try to get some enlisted as well just so it shows the boards it's not just the officer community. That is however, just my opinion as I'm not on the board so I could be completely wrong.

Yeah I just got to this command about a month ago.  So before I left my previous command I made sure to get a couple of guys willing to write a rec for me.  They are all asking for formats and stuff though.  Thanks again and good luck at OCS! 
There's no format for letters of rec. Just use standard Naval admin format, and just write whatever you want.

Try to get senior captains and above.

I had a platoon commander, a company commander, and a battalion commander (Capt, Capt, Colonel) who I did a combat deployment with. Worked out fine for me.

"I enthusiastically recommend Sgt Tickledick for the MECEP program"

"Here is a short example or two of why he would be great"

"In closing, the Marine Corps would benefit from commissioning this guy..."

That's your template.
(08-14-2015, 09:35 AM)Recce Wrote: There's no format for letters of rec. Just use standard Naval admin format, and just write whatever you want.

Try to get senior captains and above.

I had a platoon commander, a company commander, and a battalion commander (Capt, Capt, Colonel) who I did a combat deployment with. Worked out fine for me.

"I enthusiastically recommend Sgt Tickledick for the MECEP program"

"Here is a short example or two of why he would be great"

"In closing, the Marine Corps would benefit from commissioning this guy..."

That's your template.

Thanks brother I appreciate it!  Good luck at OCS.
Done ski with that song and dance bro, but thanks. Best of luck to you.