Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
MECEP Thread
(03-21-2015, 07:52 AM)RAB Wrote:
(03-21-2015, 06:09 AM)Too Tall Wrote: This waiting is surely killing me....On a related note, who is submitting for FY16 board 1?  I'm ready to submit again, but hope I won't need to!  Big Grin

Well, I'm hoping I don't have to resubmit. But If so, let's it be. We got this, I know. The MARADMIN needs to hurry up and come out... And on the Board 1 subject, if anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.

Can you resubmit if you're still pending results of another board? For example, board 1 doesn't convene until the end of June, but board 2 packages are due before that. 
(03-25-2015, 03:40 AM)slap_bump_roll Wrote:
(03-21-2015, 07:52 AM)RAB Wrote:
(03-21-2015, 06:09 AM)Too Tall Wrote: This waiting is surely killing me....On a related note, who is submitting for FY16 board 1?  I'm ready to submit again, but hope I won't need to!  Big Grin

Well, I'm hoping I don't have to resubmit. But If so, let's it be. We got this, I know. The MARADMIN needs to hurry up and come out... And on the Board 1 subject, if anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.

Can you resubmit if you're still pending results of another board? For example, board 1 doesn't convene until the end of June, but board 2 packages are due before that. 

Can you? Yes. It just may cause unnecessary work for you. It would be great if there was a buffer between when results are released, and when packages are due for the next board...but this is the Marine Corps we are talking about.
The user formerly known as Hoad.
Anyone have any input on how much the letters of recommendation are weighed? For example, if I have a Captain who just got out of the Marine Corps, is it even worth asking him for a LOR? Thanks.
(03-26-2015, 08:28 AM)dotKev Wrote: Anyone have any input on how much the letters of recommendation are weighed? For example, if I have a Captain who just got out of the Marine Corps, is it even worth asking him for a LOR? Thanks.

I couldn't say as far as what the MECEP board will weigh them as, but I did see an after action on an E-9 selection board which had a few things to say about LOR's, and I think it makes sense.  One thing it mentioned was that applicants had multiple LOR's in their packages that all were essentially saying the same thing i.e. " This Marine is great etc."  If you think that the Captain has a unique perspective of you and that whatever he says won't be the same stuff the other will say, then I'd go for it.  
I had letters of recommendation from three Marines. Platoon, company, and battalion commander from a deployment. Each had a different perspective. Worked for me.
I had a CWO3 and two Captains, each from different points in my career.  Two of them were prior RS's and I've heard that boards don't weigh those heavily because you already have FITREPs from them. I've heard if the LOR isn't from a Major or above they do not hold them in high regards either.  However, I still got selected so moral of the story: who knows what the board wants.  As long as you have solid scores on PFT/CFT,  PME complete, and solid FITREPs you should be fine.  There is no set guideline and it varies board to board.
Just got word that the Maradmin is going up tonight. Good luck to the board 3 Marines.
I guess j was misinformed, sorry. Should have qualified that one a bit
The conventional Marine Corps wisdom says that letters of recommendation are better received from Majors and above. However, I would have to disagree, at least from my point of view. The board should realize that rarely does a MECEP candidate have direct sustained contact with a field grade officer in a working environment, and therefore, letters from them are often based on second hand information. My letters from two Captains were personal, compelling, and reflected direct contact with them. My letter from my battalion commander was exactly what I told him to write. It was short, not that great, and I never would have submitted it if it hadn't come from an O-5 (selected to full bird).

That being said, it never hurts to have high ranking letters. I had friends who had generals write in for them - might as well be a shoe-in. But I wouldn't ignore the Captains just for the sake of having a higher ranking field grade guy write something that's not that good. I think any quality board knows the difference, and wouldn't hold that against you.
http://www.marines.mil/News/Messages/MessagesDisplay/tabid/13286/Article/173502/mcbul-1040-fiscal-year-2015-ecp-mecep-mcp-r-and-recp-selection-board-3-results.aspx
It sure as hell took long enough! Well, to all who were selected, congrats, and I look forward to seeing you in June! Big Grin
Congrats to all selected! We'll see you in Quantico! Big Grin
Damn, did all of us TL trolls get it??
(03-31-2015, 02:23 PM)Too Tall Wrote: Damn, did all of us TL trolls get it??

Hopefully that's a good sign for those of us here waiting on future boards.
Congrats to all. 45 selections is a good sign. Hope it hold for the next two boards.
Prepare yourselves for a lame ass summer.
(03-31-2015, 07:44 PM)Recce Wrote: Prepare yourselves for a lame ass summer.

already playing with my feelings Sad

... on another note, who's gotten into college yet?
(04-01-2015, 10:42 AM)RAB Wrote:

I have, but I'm applying to like 4 more..Lol.  It just sucks that most schools don't accept applications for the January 2016 term until August!
(04-01-2015, 01:03 PM)Too Tall Wrote:
(04-01-2015, 10:42 AM)RAB Wrote:

I have, but I'm applying to like 4 more..Lol.  It just sucks that most schools don't accept applications for the January 2016 term until August!

I have as well all for fall though. It's okay though, I just deferred until spring. Now I'm waiting on others to see what other options there are. 

Has anyone contacted the Marine For Life Ed rep? I called left a voicemail, I missed her call back and she left me a voicemail to call her before 1500 est time. 
Can't find the HQMC MECEP POC anywhere, anyone have?
(04-17-2015, 05:57 AM)slap_bump_roll Wrote: Can't find the HQMC MECEP POC anywhere, anyone have?

I got you man!!

Troi Spencer, MCRC, (703)784-9443.
Have fun with Ms. Spencer.
(04-17-2015, 12:09 PM)Too Tall Wrote:
(04-17-2015, 05:57 AM)slap_bump_roll Wrote: Can't find the HQMC MECEP POC anywhere, anyone have?

I got you man!!  

Troi Spencer, MCRC, (703)784-9443.

Thanks!  
How has everyone submitted their official college transcripts with the package? In a sealed envelope from the school, with the transcripts loose..? I've heard conflicting things, and I've also heard it doesn't matter.
(04-20-2015, 03:07 PM)dotKev Wrote: How has everyone submitted their official college transcripts with the package? In a sealed envelope from the school, with the transcripts loose..? I've heard conflicting things, and I've also heard it doesn't matter.
I would keep them in the envelope.  They come sealed and once that seal is broken, they are considered to be tampered with.  Just keep them in the envelope they come in.