Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Cpl apez's Euro -propaganda
(05-25-2015, 03:41 PM)SSgt Corvus Wrote: Holy shit that fat guy on the left side looks like a bag of smashed ass. sleeves up when everyone else's are down, pants not bloused, hands in pockets. Marshal Mannerheim is disappoint from beyond the grave.

that's OK, he's anti-air artillery.
"Lord is the guardian of the crazy and the drunk"
"Cats and drunkards have nine lives"
- Finnish sayings

"God must love crazy people, he made so many of them"

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

"Marines don't die, they just go to Hell and re-group"
What do y'alls dress uniforms look like?

half of the fun of being in the Air Force is watching the other branches get confused and outraged about it
(05-25-2015, 03:49 PM)SSgt Corvus Wrote: What do y'alls dress uniforms look like?

this is the best source for pictures of all the uniforms, dress uniforms from page 19 onwards, uniforms used by cadets and military bands on pages 34 and 41-42:
http://www.puolustusvoimat.fi/wcm/a34340004360738ea9b1f9a0834f94dd/sotilas-_ja_virkapukunormit_01052010.pdf?MOD=AJPERES
- Finnish sayings

four words that describe why it's good to be christian; grill-marinaded pork fillets
- Finnish sayings

(06-01-2015, 10:31 AM)apez Wrote: four words that describe why it's good to be christian; grill-marinaded pork fillets

And also pan-fried pork chops-

[Image: CVR_SFS_crispy_pan_fried_pork_chops_c_012_article.jpg]

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM. Big Grin
Yowie on tater tot burritos: CombatWombat Ian old mate, that's an abomination and I want it 20 Jan 20:39

apparently this is based on true story from the artist's own time in the Army (english translation is in description):
http://tuomaskoivurinne.deviantart.com/art/PsjK-Comic-28-189949236?q=in%3Acartoons%20sort%3Atime%20gallery%3Atuomaskoivurinne&qo=20
- Finnish sayings

Hyvää juhannusta!
Goda Midsommar!
Happy Midsummer!
[Image: Juhannus-seura.jpg]

it's going to be sauna, barbecue, booze and maybe some bonfires for two days.

ps. a video of what might be happening just about now somewhere:

- Finnish sayings

it's already 20th of June 2015, the Midsummer (alternatively known as St. John's Day, Catholic church seems to insist that St. John's takes place on 24th of June, but we Lutherans say otherwise), which is also the Day of the Flag of Finland, as such, here's a YouTube video about "Lippulaulu", literally "the Flag Song" or "The Song of the Flag" (English lyrics provided in the description)

- Finnish sayings

an anecdote about an early 19th century Swedish general Johan August Sandels, who is often depicted as a man who was reluctant to leave in the middle of a meal even for a battle (despite this, he was a great commander and is considered one of the two best Swedish commanders of the Finnish war of 1808-1809, the other being Georg Carl von Döbeln), according to a story he once asked a young lieutenant to explain the difference between strategy and tactics.

Lieutenant replied: "Me seeking audience with you every day in order to become a good officer is strategy, and the fact that I do so at dinner time is tactics."

Sandels replied: "Good answer, captain", and took a sip of his beer.
- Finnish sayings

This is why I love Finland

[Image: 421844_v1.jpg]

half of the fun of being in the Air Force is watching the other branches get confused and outraged about it
English translation: Yossarian
The Kool-Aid is a lie.
(06-27-2015, 04:45 AM)npr Wrote: English translation: Yossarian

*tips my hat to you* Good one, sir
typical, I write something and noone gives a shit, but the second someone else writes something here...
- Finnish sayings

We read your posts man, just a lot of them are anecdotes where there's not much to be said afterwards beyond "hahaha" or "interesting". Not sure why no one replied to the Midsummer post, that looks like a fun time. How was that? Good food? Hot girls?

If midsummer is anything like in Sweden it's a massive booze and sex-fest. 9 months after midsummer is the month in Sweden where the most babies are born. And the week before midsummer weekends the liqueor stores sell roughly 15 times as much a day as they normally do. It was even in the news this year how the stores where hiring a lot of extras to get ready for the onslaught.
not sure about sex, but otherwise sounds familiar, this year it was cold and rainy, the food at my aunt's lakeside cottage wasn't what I had expected either, but as soon as we got back home (I had the honour of being designated driver to my mom and step-dad) and I got to open my own bottle all was well.

When I was doing my shopping the day before it was insane; endless lines at the check-outs in both the hypermarket and Alko & everyone was paying with cards, only the card readers didn't work (I was paying with cash), I'm amazed I got out of the mall without killing someone...
- Finnish sayings

Sounds like the days leading up to Thanksgiving and Independence Day here. Utter chaos in the grocery stores.

I came across this video again after a long-ish time, I can't be sure, but it seems to be an "educational" video made for the FDF to be shown to conscripts at some point during their service (for my unit, our 'propaganda' -classes consisted of watching the movie "Winter war" and a short summary of the Continuation war), the video is from late '90s and depicts an imaginary scenario of a new war in Europe that spreads to Finland as well.

The song at the beginning is called "Täällä Pohjantähden alla"; "Here under the Northern Star"

edit: at 3:39 the narrator is saying "today Eduskunta (Finnish parliament) has voted in favor of invoking the State of National Defence Act (effectively a declaration of state of war)", the footage about a road block right after that depicts the evacuation of Helsinki that was mentioned between the headlines about the war in Europe starting & the narrator telling about Eduskunta invoking the State of National Defence Act.

edit2: the act mentioned at 3:39 is, in absence of official translation that I am aware of, "State of National Defence Act" (1083/1991), the Emergency Powers Act (which can be invoked as a result of any number of national or local disasters or other incidents that require the government to grant more powers to various agencies and/or the FDF) (1080/1991) had been invoked earlier,
- Finnish sayings

Germany: WW2 Panther tank seized from pensioner's cellar
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-33381772

[Image: _84032903_hi027989609.jpg]
"Police in northern Germany have seized a World War Two tank which was being kept in a pensioner's cellar.

The Panther tank was removed from the 78-year-old's house in the town of Heikendorf, along with a variety of other military equipment, including a torpedo and an anti-aircraft gun, Der Tagesspiegel website reports."
- Finnish sayings

That is officially the coolest gramps I've ever heard of. Unless he was a Nazi - that subtracts some cool points.
sounds about right for Navy:
http://unfiltered.notalwaysworking.com/post/69090649194/military-finland-im-a-fresh-2nd-lieutenant-at-a
- Finnish sayings

Apez, what are your thoughts on Pesäpallo? American baseball bores me to tears but this looks halfway interesting.

(07-09-2015, 08:14 AM)Vigoda Wrote: Apez, what are your thoughts on Pesäpallo? American baseball bores me to tears but this looks halfway interesting.

IMO it's fun to play, less so to watch. Then there's the "great" advice how to get mauled in Ostrobothnia; going there and loudly exclaiming "wrestling and pesäpallo are for gays!" (Those two sports are the local favorites, and the people there are 'just a little bit' conservative.)
- Finnish sayings

(07-05-2015, 04:24 PM)apez Wrote: Germany: WW2 Panther tank seized from pensioner's cellar
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-33381772

[Image: _84032903_hi027989609.jpg]
"Police in northern Germany have seized a World War Two tank which was being kept in a pensioner's cellar.

The Panther tank was removed from the 78-year-old's house in the town of Heikendorf, along with a variety of other military equipment, including a torpedo and an anti-aircraft gun, Der Tagesspiegel website reports."

those fucking Krauts better not have scrapped it.

And better have paid grandpa for it.

I just came across this; apparently Germans think "Kalsarikännit" isn't only a funny word, but also way of life:
[Image: djEyl7v.jpg]
basically it means staying in your house (by definition in your underwear, but it's not strictly required) and drinking.
- Finnish sayings